SONY IER-Z1R
Nov 26, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #9,331 of 15,172
Ok, so here is an odd question: with the holidays coming, I might be able to swing EITHER the Z1R or the Sony TA-ZH1ES.

Ignoring price, which would be the best bang for the buck? Ie, most sonic impact? Calling Redcarmoose for commentary. Anyone else have experience with both?

I already have a Chord Hugo/Topping A90 for DAC and amp. And I have an IER-M7, Focal Elegia, and Senn HD650.

Thanks for the help, folks!

Having both I would also say the Z1R provided you can get a good and comfortable fit

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #9,332 of 15,172
Finally I've managed to insert them deep enough. As posted many times before, ideal insertion depth is as deep as possible really, and the difference with a shallow fit is night and day. I put on a little vaseline to slip them in a little easier... Really deflowering my ears here

But when an ideal fit is achieved, they are truly marvelous and possibly the best I ever heard ( and I've heard a lot )

Hopefully I can break them in a little over time and they get more comfortable to wear

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #9,334 of 15,172
Finally I've managed to insert them deep enough. As posted many times before, ideal insertion depth is as deep as possible really, and the difference with a shallow fit is night and day. I put on a little vaseline to slip them in a little easier... Really deflowering my ears here

But when an ideal fit is achieved, they are truly marvelous and possibly the best I ever heard ( and I've heard a lot )

Hopefully I can break them in a little over time and they get more comfortable to wear
It's so easy to do deep insertion, you do the same as inserting any etymotic iem, just pull up the upper part of the ear and than push the IEM in, hold the pushing hand than release the pulling hand. After that you can rotate the IEM for better comfort.

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #9,335 of 15,172
For deep insertion the Spinfit 240 L or M are working fine with the IER-Z1R
1606468154237.png

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #9,336 of 15,172
Thanks so much, that worked like a charm. Didn't have the hair spray but I had the extra strong hair wax. Used the cotton buds to apply a little around the nozzle, left it for 24 hours and boom, they don't come off now. Tried 3-4 times and didn't come out even once. So this is what I'll 'Stick' to, literally :sweat_smile::v:
Excellent, glad it worked for you. Good to know that alternate hair products also work :smile:

Nov 27, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #9,337 of 15,172
Having both I would also say the Z1R provided you can get a good and comfortable fit
I would second this. With the right dac/amp, the Z1Rs are going to blow your mind. The TA works like it was made for these iems, but I'm sure there are other dacs/amps out there that are going to also show you what these baby's can do.

Nov 28, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #9,338 of 15,172
Not many, sorry :frowning2: however I do own a Sony TA-ZH1ES & DMP-Z1 which both sound excellent with the Z1R. There’s a few TA-ZH1ES & Z1R owners around this thread that can hopefully chime in and share their thoughts as well, but I certainly believe they are a great pair up.

The DMP-Z1 takes it a step further again, but the improvement probably isn’t worth the almost 4x price difference imho.
DMP-Z1 is 4x of WM1Z in Australia! Mine is less than 3x.

Nov 28, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #9,339 of 15,172
For deep insertion the Spinfit 240 L or M are working fine with the IER-Z1R
1606468154237.png

Shouldn't I order the S for a deep as possible fit? Since I'm using the SS stock triple comfort now for that purpose, which does an adequate job, though I feel I can achieve a more ideal fit; more snug and balanced, and most importantly, more comfortable. I'll order/try those first and see how it goes

Nov 28, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #9,340 of 15,172
Not many, sorry :frowning2: however I do own a Sony TA-ZH1ES & DMP-Z1 which both sound excellent with the Z1R. There’s a few TA-ZH1ES & Z1R owners around this thread that can hopefully chime in and share their thoughts as well, but I certainly believe they are a great pair up.

The DMP-Z1 takes it a step further again, but the improvement probably isn’t worth the almost 4x price difference imho.

Yeah, I will need to invest in one relatively quickly. My IER Z1Rs sound very underpowered when plugged into my dekstop. TA-ZH1ES is a strong contender... I've also read great things about the Hugo 2, and the RME ADI-2.

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #9,342 of 15,172

That's how I've been doing it as well. I found for me the best tips for deep insertion are the Comply foam tips. I use the 200 series and they have been absolutely great. Even with deep insertion, now that I know how to do it, I can wear these for hours and hours playing Warzone :) BTW, for those who play competitive FPS games, the soundstage and imaging on these are superb.

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #9,343 of 15,172
Yeah, I will need to invest in one relatively quickly. My IER Z1Rs sound very underpowered when plugged into my dekstop. TA-ZH1ES is a strong contender... I've also read great things about the Hugo 2, and the RME ADI-2.

I did sample all three with the IERs so here's my opinion.
The TAZ sounds warm and really wide. The Hugo 2 sounds fast and intense. And the RME sounded very clean.

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #9,344 of 15,172
Hey Guys

FINALLY! Got my Z1Rs on the way from Sony UK. They took 7 weeks to get shipped from Japan. I was just keen to get the 1year warranty and not get stung with Spanish import tariffs. So should get them later this week or next here in Spain.

Been listening mostly last months via my Sony wireless mk4s and airpod pros , but finally broke out the MOJO + Sony XBA Z5 (daily TOTL driver since 2015) and it blew me away with the clarity of the sound compared to the two prior (highly convenient yet..) mud machines.

Any thoughts here (of late) on what to expect from Z1Rs vs Z5s once I fire them up with my mojo ?? Just overall improvements across a similar V shaped Sound sig or few things the Z1R does that the Z5 didn't or couldn't??

P.S been a long time since I did a review of anything so def keen to do a Z5 vs Z1R review in next while. Also keen to take notes on the Z1R vs Solaris at my local shop , and try out the KANN ALPHA as that is top of the list for my first dedicated dap since my Cowon iAudio X5 I got in 2006!!! Been on rigs ever since.

Cheers
Dan

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #9,345 of 15,172
Hey Guys

FINALLY! Got my Z1Rs on the way from Sony UK. They took 7 weeks to get shipped from Japan. I was just keen to get the 1year warranty and not get stung with Spanish import tariffs. So should get them later this week or next here in Spain.

Been listening mostly last months via my Sony wireless mk4s and airpod pros , but finally broke out the MOJO + Sony XBA Z5 (daily TOTL driver since 2015) and it blew me away with the clarity of the sound compared to the two prior (highly convenient yet..) mud machines.

Any thoughts here (of late) on what to expect from Z1Rs vs Z5s once I fire them up with my mojo ?? Just overall improvements across a similar V shaped Sound sig or few things the Z1R does that the Z5 didn't or couldn't??

P.S been a long time since I did a review of anything so def keen to do a Z5 vs Z1R review in next while. Also keen to take notes on the Z1R vs Solaris at my local shop , and try out the KANN ALPHA as that is top of the list for my first dedicated dap since my Cowon iAudio X5 I got in 2006!!! Been on rigs ever since.

Cheers
Dan

Yeah man it would definitely be worth trying the Kann Alpha with them if you get a chance, my Z1R's absolutely sang with the Cube so I'd imagine the Alpha wouldn't be much different. I have a feeling the rolled-off treble of the Mojo isn't going to do much for the Z1R's treble so it would be good for you to get something to compared it to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back