SONY IER-Z1R
Sep 15, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #8,701 of 15,259
Try DMP-Z1 (benchmark) or Hugo 2 or SP2000

The Z1r performance escalate well with different good source and different good cable

Happy testing
What cables would you reccomend?

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #8,702 of 15,259
What cables would you reccomend?

I don't have chance to try many cables...just a few. But I follow the recommendation from a Hong Kong youtuber/reviewer.

He recommended Brise audio. I tried it and I love it. IMHO, you need to try at least STR7Ref and above range to hear the obvious result.

However if you read through this forum, many of them satisfied with the stock cable performance.

Maybe make more sense to try transportable DAP/DMP rather than desktop amp for ier-z1r

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #8,703 of 15,259
PXL_20200912_095444213.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

I've just got a preowned Z1R in mint condition, loving it so far and it paired well with 9038S dac/amp and some pure silver/gold cable, enjoying the refined details from this setup so far.

Sep 16, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #8,704 of 15,259

I've just got a preowned Z1R in mint condition, loving it so far and it paired well with 9038S dac/amp and some pure silver/gold cable, enjoying the refined details from this setup so far.
Isn't hidisz s8 a better choice? (Just wondering)
Also, nice keyboard

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #8,705 of 15,259
Also, nice keyboard

Hidizs S8 or Tempotec Sonata HD Pro output is single-ended, and I personally prefer balanced output,
but I've tried S8 before and compared with 9038SG3 (on pic), they're good but I love the analytical & clean nature of 9038S and also sheer driving power out of it.

Cheers for the keyboard, i bought it just because it reminded me of the old imac keyboard.

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #8,706 of 15,259
Yeah, I'm definitely eyeing the cube. My experience with the XBA-Z5 tells me that Sony iems love power. They're harder to drive than my MDR-Z1Rs actually. I was also looking at the Acro L1000. Seems like it might be nice with a couple of bookshelf speakers.

I'm probably going to pick up something separate for portable and desktop.
I own both, and I can assure you that the IER-Z1R is most definitely not harder to drive than the MDR-Z1R.
The Kann Cube would be probably be massive overkill in this case (WM1A drives the IER-Z1R just fine), but sometimes overkill is just what people want, so why not.

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #8,708 of 15,259
and iBasso DX160 also drive them fine

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #8,709 of 15,259
Yep all those the above can drive the Z1R just fine. But Z1R will definitely benefit from more power.

Sep 16, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #8,710 of 15,259
I am still waiting for AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC M-ML-L
But today, I received the Spinfit double flange CP240-M...
I didn't expect anything better than the Sony ML .. as none of the other than the silicone ML Sony's numerous provided tips could fit perfectly in my ear or even give as good and rich sound as ML size...
As, I am not used after so many decades of walkmans, headphones, IEM to go so deeply in my ear conduct, I am not sure at all I can keep these double flange inside my ears for hours and use them days..
But, after a few hours, I would say at least, the sound is not really different than the original Sony's tips, but, the outside "noise" cancellation of those are a real step ahead, so I can at least lower the volume level by a significant amount. Though I haven't taken a plane or a train with these Spinfits (I will start again travelling from beginning of October).

I will see how Azla will be, but all of these tips are less than 15$ so .. at worth to give a try, even if, in the end, Sony's tips are probably already the best for sound "quality".

Sep 16, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #8,711 of 15,259
I am still waiting for AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC M-ML-L
But today, I received the Spinfit double flange CP240-M...
I didn't expect anything better than the Sony ML .. as none of the other than the silicone ML Sony's numerous provided tips could fit perfectly in my ear or even give as good and rich sound as ML size...
As, I am not used after so many decades of walkmans, headphones, IEM to go so deeply in my ear conduct, I am not sure at all I can keep these double flange inside my ears for hours and use them days..
But, after a few hours, I would say at least, the sound is not really different than the original Sony's tips, but, the outside "noise" cancellation of those are a real step ahead, so I can at least lower the volume level by a significant amount. Though I haven't taken a plane or a train with these Spinfits (I will start again travelling from beginning of October).

I will see how Azla will be, but all of these tips are less than 15$ so .. at worth to give a try, even if, in the end, Sony's tips are probably already the best for sound "quality".
That's deep.... probably puncture my eardrum.

Stock Sony for best sound (for me) but I find that Xelastec give great fit and grip.
With stock tips, the iem are being pulled backwards by the cable and hurt my ear after awhile. Xelastec grips well so it doesn't rotate much when being pulled so it feels better for me.

Sep 17, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #8,714 of 15,259
Also, nice keyboard
DUDE! don't ignore the z1rs!
I own both, and I can assure you that the IER-Z1R is most definitely not harder to drive than the MDR-Z1R.
The Kann Cube would be probably be massive overkill in this case (WM1A drives the IER-Z1R just fine), but sometimes overkill is just what people want, so why not.

Gona grab these soonish... use with Chord Mojo ... thinking Kann Alpha after .. think that power output would be ideal vs Kann Cube overkill??

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #8,715 of 15,259
That's deep.... probably puncture my eardrum.

Stock Sony for best sound (for me) but I find that Xelastec give great fit and grip.
With stock tips, the iem are being pulled backwards by the cable and hurt my ear after awhile. Xelastec grips well so it doesn't rotate much when being pulled so it feels better for me.
i also have the SpinFit double flange and they create an awesome seal for me, but are quite comfortable because of how deep they go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back