SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 20, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #8,477 of 15,264
Anything fueling that random outburst or was it purely speculation?:smile:

1. I wouldn't call it 'random':

Query was genuine - I noticed someone encouraging/discouraging a potential ToTL IEM purchase decision of someone else's on another thread with "....unless Sony released a new flagship IEM in the months ahead this year." And I wanted to make sure I could ascertain the possibility/impossibility on IER Z1R official thread before taking my own purchase decisions this month.

2. I wouldn't call it random 'outburst':

My query consisted of just a single and straight and short sentence with less than 10 words: "Sony launching new flagship IEM in the coming months?!"

Thank you.

Aug 20, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #8,479 of 15,264
It’s possible English isn’t your first language, but the way you phrased it doesn’t clearly come across as a question.

“Is Sony launching a new flagship IEM in the coming months?”

That’s a clear question.

I ask, "Sony launching new flagship IEM in the coming months?!". And you say, "It’s possible English isn’t your first language, but the way you phrased it doesn’t clearly come across as a question: Is Sony launching a new flagship IEM in the coming months?” That’s a clear question." Sure thing. Or, it's possible somebody is looking out for me.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #8,480 of 15,264
I ask, "Sony launching new flagship IEM in the coming months?!". And you say, "It’s possible English isn’t your first language, but the way you phrased it doesn’t clearly come across as a question: Is Sony launching a new flagship IEM in the coming months?” That’s a clear question." Sure thing. Or, it's possible somebody is looking out for me.
Well, I too think that prospect is highly unlikely. Just for fun though, what sort of improvements would people imagine could be implemented in a new model? Same awesome sound in a smaller, more compact form factor?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #8,481 of 15,264
Well, I too think that prospect is highly unlikely. Just for fun though, what sort of improvements would people imagine could be implemented in a new model?

I was considering Z1R for my next buy - just to veer off from my A12t, in search for something that's not as faithful to flat frequency response as A12t tries to be. Not sure what longtime users of Z1R would wish for in terms of improvement. Certainly wouldn't want to pull the trigger on this, if Sony indeed has plans to update the flagship this year, which seems unlikely from the responses I see here. Yes, slightly smaller or a pseudo-custom housing design in the lines of InEar Prophile 8 could help a section of potential customers with ears of smaller size than national average.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #8,482 of 15,264
I was considering Z1R for my next buy - just to veer off from my A12t, in search for something that's not as faithful to flat frequency reproduction as A12t tries to be. Not sure what longtime users of Z1R would wish for in terms of improvement. Certainly wouldn't want to pull the trigger on this, if Sony indeed has plans to update the flagship this year, which seems unlikely from the responses I see here.

It's going to sound almost ludicrous (and I struggle with it myself), but after a couple of weeks of extensive listening of my Z1Rs against my modified EX1000s I am prepared to say that I enjoy the sound of the EX1000s more than the Z1Rs... :scream:

If you are looking for something that you'll crank up to 11 to listen to Rush's YYZ then I would highly recommend the cheap route of EX1000s with a balanced cable. It's not sexy TOTL stuff but wow the sound.

Aug 21, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #8,483 of 15,264
It's going to sound almost ludicrous (and I struggle with it myself), but after a couple of weeks of extensive listening of my Z1Rs against my modified EX1000s I am prepared to say that I enjoy the sound of the EX1000s more than the Z1Rs... :scream:

If you are looking for something that you'll crank up to 11 to listen to Rush's YYZ then I would highly recommend the cheap route of EX1000s with a balanced cable. It's not sexy TOTL stuff but wow the sound.

EX1000 is still an amazing totl. Technicality Z1R is still miles better.

As for me I think a true endgame will be Justear MH1, which tune to your ear and your liking. That will be nothing can best just due to is your own sound.

Aug 21, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #8,484 of 15,264
EX1000 is still an amazing totl. Technicality Z1R is still miles better.

As for me I think a true endgame will be Justear MH1, which tune to your ear and your liking. That will be nothing can best just due to is your own sound.

Yeah I agree the Z1R is technically better (especially with instrument separation and resolution) but for "rocking out" loudly there's just something about the EX1000s that I enjoy listening to more. Like I said, I struggle with quantifying it.

Aug 21, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #8,485 of 15,264
I was considering Z1R for my next buy - just to veer off from my A12t, in search for something that's not as faithful to flat frequency reproduction as A12t tries to be. Not sure what longtime users of Z1R would wish for in terms of improvement. Certainly wouldn't want to pull the trigger on this, if Sony indeed has plans to update the flagship this year, which seems unlikely from the responses I see here.

Well IER-Z1R only being 2years old, it is still fairly young.

Flagship line from sony are unlikely update that frequent. Maybe the MDR-Z1R being 4 years old or the WM1 player.

Aug 21, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #8,486 of 15,264

My usage case is more towards film OSTs/country/folk/blues/pop at 60dB-75dB listening levels. Was hoping for an organic sound, decently defined dynamic driver bass and lifelike imaging. Z1R looks promising from whatever few reviews I have read so far.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #8,487 of 15,264
Yeah I agree the Z1R is technically better (especially with instrument separation and resolution) but for "rocking out" loudly there's just something about the EX1000s that I enjoy listening to more. Like I said, I struggle with quantifying it.

Bandai-San is really amazing earphone designer.

Also Ex1000 being a 16mm driver, I know what you mean by the “Something”. Same as Final Audio Piano Forte series - odd tuning but that huge driver is jaw dropping. The amount of air it push is no joke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back