SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 16, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #8,178 of 15,258
which would be fine if they'd fit in there with the cable attached. From what I'm hearing, it's a b-tch to detach the cable, and who would want to anyhow just to put them in a case?

They fit with the cable attached, but of course you need to remove the holder piece with the serial number, and use the rubber cable manager accessory to make it easier to fit.

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #8,179 of 15,258
Curious about the exact products you used! I’d like to do the same on my Andromeda Stainless.

I used Cape Cod polishing clothes, but it really just polished to a shine, it doesn’t buff out scratches, but it sure does polish to a mirror finish!
Hello, I just use this metal polish cream that I found at my local car store. I’m sure you can easily find it online. I just that and a little dremel with a polishing pad. But that’s optional as you can easily do it by hand with a piece of polishing cloth.

Attachments

• 4D067F5C-64BD-4061-86BE-95437A03837F.jpeg
    4D067F5C-64BD-4061-86BE-95437A03837F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jul 16, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #8,180 of 15,258
They fit with the cable attached, but of course you need to remove the holder piece with the serial number, and use the rubber cable manager accessory to make it easier to fit.
Ah, yes, I just found the instructional video. But I didn't see that cable manager accessory when I unboxed yesterday. I'll have to look for it. Here's the video for anyone interested :

Jul 17, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #8,184 of 15,258
I only have a few hours on mine so far. Does the soundstage widen further with more hours on these?
Certainly not. Why should it? How? If anything, it feels the opposite to me subjectively, because coming from the closed MDR-Z1R, I was at first absolutely perplexed how far apart everything sounded, to the point that it almost felt incoherent. As I 've gotten used to the sound, it feels more natural and just right. I still would describe it as quite spacious and open sounding though. But who knows, maybe your experience will be different. Good luck on your journey!

Jul 17, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #8,185 of 15,258
Does anyone know a way to open up the IER-Z1R? Looks like the little grills got pushed into the earphones as I was using little tools to clean them up from a little wax. They still sound good with no sound changes, but would prefer not to get any debris inside. Or is it better to take them to Sony to look at in Ginza?

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #8,186 of 15,258
Certainly not. Why should it? How? If anything, it feels the opposite to me subjectively, because coming from the closed MDR-Z1R, I was at first absolutely perplexed how far apart everything sounded, to the point that it almost felt incoherent. As I 've gotten used to the sound, it feels more natural and just right. I still would describe it as quite spacious and open sounding though. But who knows, maybe your experience will be different. Good luck on your journey!

See this is the real meaning of "burn in", it's neural adaptation :D

Does anyone know a way to open up the IER-Z1R? Looks like the little grills got pushed into the earphones as I was using little tools to clean them up from a little wax. They still sound good with no sound changes, but would prefer not to get any debris inside. Or is it better to take them to Sony to look at in Ginza?

If I had access to the Beast directly I'd go straight to it.

Jul 17, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #8,187 of 15,258
20200717_125237.jpg
2 years of student saving (would be shorter if I didnt buy other stuffs), I got them. So apparently my ears are big-ish...weirdly thankful for that.

1st impression: honestly they're good, but not THAT good compared to iSine 20 (cipher v1). Its better for sure, but I need more time with it. Will updated :)

Question: does anyone know how to best set up Onkyo HF player on Android for USB DAC? (BTR5)

Jul 17, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #8,189 of 15,258
For the best of the ierz1r, use the best source, I had the isine in the past, no way, the Sony is much but much better
You might be right. But since BTR5 is the only source I have, that'll have to do for now.

I agree Sony is better, but just from 15 min testing, it's not a drastic improvement as I expected.

I haven't had time to test the tip for best seal and deep insertion so we'll see.

Jul 17, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #8,190 of 15,258
Regardless, I'm just lovin' the sound. It's actually exactly the sound signature I was looking for. Bright, detailed, sonic. Separation/soundstage are really perfectly fine. These are definitely keepers. Just hoping the sound doesn't change too much with burn in. I like it just the way it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back