SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 15, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #8,161 of 15,263
This is a little off topic, but for those that are bothered by micro scratches on the shiny ier-z1r shell, I can confirm that you can buff them out with just a polishing cloth and a car wax compound. I bought mine second hand with a ton of micro scratches and I got rid of all of them. Looks brand new now
Curious about the exact products you used! I’d like to do the same on my Andromeda Stainless.

I used Cape Cod polishing clothes, but it really just polished to a shine, it doesn’t buff out scratches, but it sure does polish to a mirror finish!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 15, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #8,162 of 15,263
Interesting take, I haven’t heard that when I auditioned. Is that a critique or you like what you’re hearing?

I can't make up my mind how I feel about it, especially with vocals it does make them sound less smooth, but maybe it does sound good for electronic sounds. I guess it's part of their sound character, wouldn't say it's good or bad absolutely.

This is a little off topic, but for those that are bothered by micro scratches on the shiny ier-z1r shell, I can confirm that you can buff them out with just a polishing cloth and a car wax compound. I bought mine second hand with a ton of micro scratches and I got rid of all of them. Looks brand new now

Nice tip! I'd also like to know the products used for future reference.

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #8,163 of 15,263
Curious about the exact products you used! I’d like to do the same on my Andromeda Stainless.

I used Cape Cod polishing clothes, but it really just polished to a shine, it doesn’t buff out scratches, but it sure does polish to a mirror finish!

@Dc0323 me three. Mine is covered in micro scratches so would love to know what products you used to get them looking like yours :)

Jul 15, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #8,165 of 15,263
do they develop "micro scratches"... just from knocking into each other?

Haven’t knocked mine together that much, I think it’s just general wear from regular use over the past 18 months
0DDB45B4-5AF8-47FC-94BD-45D027A2510A.jpeg

Jul 15, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #8,166 of 15,263
Anyone interested in trading their largest pair of hybrid tips (if completely unused) for any other pair that comes with these? Mine are brand new, just opened the box today.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #8,167 of 15,263
Has anyone found a set of Comply foam tips that fit? (These are my preferred tips for my SE846s). Or anything similar? Not quite sure what they’d do to the sound of the Z1Rs though

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #8,168 of 15,263
Anyone interested in trading their largest pair of hybrid tips (if completely unused) for any other pair that comes with these? Mine are brand new, just opened the box today.
Its sad these tips are not readily available for purchase. :frowning2:

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #8,170 of 15,263

That’s amazing.

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #8,171 of 15,263
Jul 16, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #8,175 of 15,263
I’m pretty surprised these iems don’t come with a carrying case. Even a cheap hard nylon one.
The jewelry box is assumed to be that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back