SONY IER-Z1R
May 5, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #7,337 of 15,171
Great perspective - thanks for the thoughts! Not wanting to verge too far from the thread - do you recommend the Dekoni pad upgrade?

Glad you’re enjoying the Z1Rs - endgame for sure!
Also don't want to stray too far from the thread but I think the Dekoni Pads are definitely worth it. I didn't notice as huge of an upgrade as swapping to a 4.4mm balanced cable but I did notice a bump in soundstage and dynamics. I already think the 6XX are excellent for stage and imaging but the pads bumped it up another 10% maybe. Comfort was a bump as well. So for $70ish I think it's worth taking a look at.

May 5, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #7,338 of 15,171
Anyone ever tried to clean the Triple Comfort Hybrid tips before?
Not sure if rubbing alcohol will ruin them or if they need soapy warm water. I can't seem to find any good answers anywhere.

May 5, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #7,339 of 15,171
Anyone ever tried to clean the Triple Comfort Hybrid tips before?
Not sure if rubbing alcohol will ruin them or if they need soapy warm water. I can't seem to find any good answers anywhere.

This thread lists them as made with silicon so clean accordingly.

May 6, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #7,340 of 15,171
Wow. I’ve been listening all day to my new IER-Z1R’s. Love them; love that sub-bass and natural decay sooo much. Didn’t think I would buy the Z1R’s. I was skeptical they would fit well since a trial at a local meet (with too large of a tip) was not convincing that they would be as comfortable as my IER-M9’s. Well, with the right tip size these things fit my ears like a glove (I’m using hybid S (small) on Z1R and Triple-Comfort S on M9 for better isolation since the M9’s are my “outside” IEMs). I’m rocking a deeeep insertion on both.

I was also hesitant to buy the IER-Z1R due to the reports of recessed mids. Well, I can honestly say, for me, the whole frequency response is totally to my liking. I had to do some major PEQ to get the MDR-Z1Rs to my liking, but out of the box these IER-Z1Rs are perfect for me.

Cheers,
Gus

May 8, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #7,341 of 15,171
hello, has anyone tried these SpinFit CP100S with IER-Z1R?
also, is 4mm too big?
Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 2.38.10 PM.png

May 8, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #7,342 of 15,171
hello, has anyone tried these SpinFit CP100S with IER-Z1R?
also, is 4mm too big?
Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 2.38.10 PM.png
I'm currently using cp100 large (yellow) on my z1r. They fit the z1r fine.

May 8, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #7,343 of 15,171
I love the IER-Z1R over my Anole VX, personally. I'm looking at the MDR-Z1R over-ear, though. Has anyone tried both? I am looking for a comparison of the sound signature compared to the IER-Z1R. I am going to try and access them soon for a trial. I would be interested in opinions.

May 8, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #7,344 of 15,171
I love the IER-Z1R over my Anole VX, personally. I'm looking at the MDR-Z1R over-ear, though. Has anyone tried both? I am looking for a comparison of the sound signature compared to the IER-Z1R. I am going to try and access them soon for a trial. I would be interested in opinions.
I have both, they have different sound signature. IER-Z1R is more musical. MDR-Z1R is more analytic

May 8, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #7,345 of 15,171
I have both, they have different sound signature. IER-Z1R is more musical. MDR-Z1R is more analytic

I would almost say it is the other way round though I wouldn't call either analytical and both are musical

May 8, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #7,346 of 15,171
Yes, what do you both mean? Audiophile terms are notoriously nebulous and subjective. Is the MDR more V-shaped with more recessed mids? I find the IER-Z1R with triple flange tips w/ deep insertion to counter the claims of extreme v-shape and it is now a u-shaped IEM. What is the MDR compared to that?

May 8, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #7,347 of 15,171
I would almost say it is the other way round though I wouldn't call either analytical and both are musical
Tes my bad, I was listening to my IER-M7 which has less detail retrieval than IER-Z1R and got all switched and confused lol.yes they both aremuwical but MDR-Z1R sounds a bit more bright

May 8, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #7,348 of 15,171
Yes, what do you both mean? Audiophile terms are notoriously nebulous and subjective. Is the MDR more V-shaped with more recessed mids? I find the IER-Z1R with triple flange tips w/ deep insertion to counter the claims of extreme v-shape and it is now a u-shaped IEM. What is the MDR compared to that?

I don’t find either to be V or even U shaped. The MDR has more physical presence due to the large driver and around ear design. The IER is probably more accurate and even. I love them both and want to keep both but would keep the IER if I could only have one

May 8, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #7,349 of 15,171
Lol, "anyone"? :) Most people who are active here are Sony fanboys and thus also own the MDR, myself included (since 2 weeks ago). I think I can describe the IER sound, but with the MDR I wouldn't know where to begin. But if I had to say something it would be the following.

The IER offers a very natural sound presentation, everything is right where it should be and nothing really seems out of place. It is remarkably refined and does great with all music.

The MDR on the other hand can seem like a bit of a mess, but, oh, what a fun mess it is. I'm more excited about listening to music with the MDR now than the IER. I'll see how long it lasts, but, almost unknowingly, the MDR has been exactly what I've been looking for to complement the IER. It's like the famous quote goes: "once you free your mind of the concept of [...] music being correct, you can do whatever you want". This is exactly what this headphone feels like to me.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #7,350 of 15,171
Bass on the MDR-Z1R is less tight and bleeds more into the mids, it's smoother, mellower, warmer all around to the point of being a bit "veiled", some would say (me included). Soundstage is perhaps not bad for a closed headphone, but not impressive to me. (In general, I must say that I have yet to hear a closed headphone that really wowed me. If the circumstances allow for it, I would always go open.)

Ironically, the IER-Z1R in contrast sounds more like an open headphone: spacious, clearer, better separation, more air, much better treble and more refined bass with better texture. All IMO, of course.

I have a DMP-Z1 incoming, hopefully that will change my opinion of the MDR-Z1R; currently, I find it okay at best, while the IER-Z1R is indeed spectacular.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back