SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 24, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #6,721 of 15,260
I like this one better: https://fiio.com/productinfo/114157.html
The DD adapter might put too much strain on the port...
1582533662737.png

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #6,722 of 15,260
I'm waiting on that DD Hifi adapter so impatiently... a dealer in Europe is receiving them soon and I am sure as crap getting one

On another note, the Sony Z1R is comfortably one of the best picks on the market currently, got mine a few weeks back and genuinely in love with it - posted a review recently. The decay in the bass and treble notes is from a different dimension
IMG_4504.jpg
I don't need 4.4mm connection since i'm running from Dragonfly Red so with the 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter, the stock cable shall be my spare cable.
Yes, loving it so far... To my surprise, it's fairly comfortable with small foam tips...

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #6,723 of 15,260
IMG_4504.jpg
I don't need 4.4mm connection since i'm running from Dragonfly Red so with the 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter, the stock cable shall be my spare cable.
Yes, loving it so far... To my surprise, it's fairly comfortable with small foam tips...
Getting the fit right with the Z1R is the hardest part. I personally found best result with the largest silicone tips even though I normally use small ones with almost everything else

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #6,726 of 15,260
i have problem with LL44, almost impossible to pull out the plug from the adaptor. in addition, it’s not a perfect fit as i need to leave a small gap or put a thin spacer.
Guess it's good that I asked about these before I got one

Thankfully a friend is sending me a 4.4 to 3.5 by Norne Audio, so I'll have something that will make my Z1R usable with the Hugo2 without having to swap cables every time

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #6,727 of 15,260
i have problem with LL44, almost impossible to pull out the plug from the adaptor. in addition, it’s not a perfect fit as i need to leave a small gap or put a thin spacer.

Not my experience. The gap only required with MDR-Z1R cable, perfect fit for IER-Z1R's 4.4mm cable. You could try apply a bit of silicone spray on the plug, it should help with inserting and removing.

Feb 25, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #6,729 of 15,260
Many factors such as one's perception of hearing, shape of their canal, and even their music can be reasons why people think the Z1R's treble is hot. That being said, for my music which is nearly all female kpop and jpop, the Z1R is celestial in its sonic properties. The only issue I have with that is that it's not custom, thus it doesn't fit my use case. So I got A12T and Viento-B. I hope that one day in the future Sony can release a custom Z1R.
Why not got to Japan and get a Sony Just Ear custom? The guy handling their Just Ear is literally the one responsible for the IER Z1R. Choose the model and Ask them to "tune it like your other earphone" maybe?

Feb 26, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #6,731 of 15,260
Why not got to Japan and get a Sony Just Ear custom? The guy handling their Just Ear is literally the one responsible for the IER Z1R. Choose the model and Ask them to "tune it like your other earphone" maybe?

They are handled by different people. Just ear is handled and tuned by Matsuo Bandai-san of EX1000 fame. IER-Z1R's sound engineer is Kuwahara Eiji-san and previously he worked on headphones like the MDR-1A/2 and the consumer end h.ear noise canceling IEM.

Feb 26, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #6,732 of 15,260
Seem i have mistook one guy for the other, i remember seeing Matsuo-san in a Just Ear video years ago and i thought he was the same guy standing in IER Z1R press videos.
I stand corrected.
Interestingly, Eiji-san handled a lot of the XBA line liek A1-3, N1/3, but he didnt do the Z5, i wonder why's that? I thought the A3 nad Z5 has more similarities than differences.
images (11).jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #6,733 of 15,260
Not my experience. The gap only required with MDR-Z1R cable, perfect fit for IER-Z1R's 4.4mm cable. You could try apply a bit of silicone spray on the plug, it should help with inserting and removing.
How would that affect the contact and conductivity?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back