SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 31, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #5,716 of 15,263
probably depends on the individual ear. In my ears the Z1R totally dissapears and I can use them a whole day without any problems and lie on my side in bed with them in.
african-elephant-bull-260nw-657660814.jpg

Oct 31, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #5,717 of 15,263

not that far off actually :)
I once put my customs next to a friends and mine where like twice the size.
I use Final E LL tips on my Z1R

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #5,718 of 15,263
No matter what I knew custom was better. And its not my first custom iem so I know how it feels and what it does. The good thing is once you get your ear impressions you cane reuse it and save on ear impressions!

My biggest suggestion to you would be a diy hybrid. I had final type e tips and I have torn out the comply foam out the inside bore. Then I simply place it between the slime silicone and the bore. It has best sound isolation and comfort. Cause final type e are very soft. Next thing is maybe stick with little bit of glue underneet the iem. Place a 1 or 2 mm thick foam pad there it will cushion your ears ).
Mine did hurt underneath the iem sooo

Yea going custom is also big step and not always work from first trie. Ussualy for me it take 2 or 3 tries and then they are perfect. Adv almost made it in first shot.

Ier-z1r are heavy its true and not very easy to get accustomed from first week. Try them and if it dont work guess last resort is custom.

For me it was last chance so if custom aint working then bye bye.

Ilisten 5 to 7 hours a days 5 days in a row. So yea it can ve painful as in hell cause the sore spots they build up with time

I am still playing around with them. And while they are definitely not what I would call super comfortable, I seem to be able to get a couple hours out of them without any real major discomfort. But they are definitely not the type so far that I can just put in my ear and forget about. Currently running LL final e tips. I have made the occasional hybrid type before, but I do happen to have some comply isolation around that I will never use, so I may cannibalize them and see if the hybrid foam silicone improves comfort. Personally dont care too much about isolation though because my normal usage is in a quiet office or at home. It was odd too because it seemed proper rotation of the cable actually helped. Angling the earhook away from my ear seems to have helped relieve a bit of the pressure, which was slightly counter intuitive for me, and definitely a shallower fit with larger tips seems to be how its gotta be for these, otherwise, just too many pressure points on my ear.

But, going to keep at them as the sound is really just about right for me. Highly detailed, but not even remotely sharp. Only thing I can say so far that could use some slight slight improvement to my preferences are male vocals which sound just ever so slightly thin. But they definitely are a very nice rich full sound, and the subbass emphasis here is exactly what I was missing from my more recent andromeda golds. And the pairing with the n6ii is quite good, but then everything I have played out of the n6ii sounds wonderful. One nice thing with the z1r though is that they are not super super sensitive. I get a bit of hiss with the andromedas, and there are some wifi interference issues when using the 4.4 balanced output, but they are not audible on the z1r. While I dont necessarily believe that balanced by itself is any better than a well implemented 3.5 SE, I have it available and obviously the 4.4 cable is included with the z1r so I figure I might as well.

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #5,719 of 15,263
The 4.4 sounds much better than the 3.5 when using my Z1Rs with my WM1A.

I’m still mulling over the idea of buying a different 4.4 but the only thing holding me back is everyone that’s tried it said the stock cable sounds better than all the aftermarket ones.

I would only get one if it sounded as good or better because I’d like the look of some of the ones made by EA. Even their Vogue series look sharp.

Nov 2, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #5,720 of 15,263
846 fits better.
The 846, and the Westone models, are some of the most comfortable IEMs out there. Sure, they don't exactly exude a "quality" feel, but damn, they are comfy.

The Z1R, on the other hand, is all about the bling. I don't think they are too big, just a little too heavy.

Nov 2, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #5,721 of 15,263
The 846, and the Westone models, are some of the most comfortable IEMs out there. Sure, they don't exactly exude a "quality" feel, but damn, they are comfy.

The Z1R, on the other hand, is all about the bling. I don't think they are too big, just a little too heavy.
Ill pay 500 more for less weight.

Nov 2, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #5,722 of 15,263
Me for comfort but I think z1r is already quiet expensive...

Maybe sony knew that lot of folks are going for custom earplugs?
It makes a huge difference in comfort sq is same.

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #5,724 of 15,263
Read ibasso dx160 is good match. Anyone tried?

I tried cayin n6ii and its really good. N6ii and wm1z amazing pairing wit ier-z1r

Nov 3, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #5,726 of 15,263

As you see my JH13 customs are just about bigger than the Z1R and both sit equally flush in my ears so I can lie on my side on a pillow for hours with no discomfort.

BAE5C779-5C82-485A-B304-1E76D0EFF6F2.jpeg
D7703226-C0F3-429E-BF9F-6B6BFD2AE7B2.jpeg

Nov 3, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #5,727 of 15,263
Dang ) some one got big ears

As you see my JH13 customs are just about bigger than the Z1R and both sit equally flush in my ears so I can lie on my side on a pillow for hours with no discomfort.

Nov 3, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #5,728 of 15,263
Nov 3, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #5,730 of 15,263

Users who are viewing this thread

Back