SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 9, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #4,352 of 15,258
@Whitigir You say that just because there isn't scientific proof for something, it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. That seems reasonable enough and I do not disagree. But it becomes a matter of faith. There is no scientific proof for the existence of the Christian God, but still, many, many, (too) many people base their reality on that. Could be the same case for cables.

I never said that cables make no difference, I just said that I hear no difference and I am not aware of any scientific data showing that the difference they make (of course they make a difference, every change makes a difference, be it significant or not) is easily audible. And I choose that as my reality. If you hear differences and are not bothered by the fact that they cannot be sufficiently justified by any scientific attempts so far, despite (or perhaps because of) the fact that there is a lot of money in cables and that companies making cables should be incentivized to prove that their cable is better than the competition, then there's no reason for you to share my reality.

Beat Audio had (as all 10 pairs have been ordered) a custom cable for the Z1R costing a whopping $4,999.00!!!

No doubt the Z1r was upgrading the performance of the cable not the other way around.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #4,353 of 15,258
I wouldn’t ever bought any cables that is $3-4K....let alone $5k. I do acknowledge that Cables make the differences, and I do experienced with them as I also make them for myself.

So, in a sense, I would rather buy Z1R....and not the cables. Because the cables doesn’t make sound when plugged to my ears, Z1R does

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #4,354 of 15,258
I wouldn’t ever bought any cables that is $3-4K....let alone $5k. I do acknowledge that Cables make the differences, and I do experienced with them as I also make them for myself.

So, in a sense, I would rather buy Z1R....and not the cables. Because the cables doesn’t make sound when plugged to my ears, Z1R does

Well said! I do have custom cables for most of my IEMs but it is just as much for comfort and not just trying to get better sound. The only cable I really ever noticed the difference in sound was the Kimber cable for the MDR Z1R. On the IER Z1R I`ll be sticking with the stock cable as it is indeed awesome!

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #4,355 of 15,258
Does the Z1R have plenty midbass (as opposed to subbass) in your opinion?

I`m a big bass lover so I wanna say not really... The focus here is mainly on the subbass (which is awesome). The IER Z1R feels to me as turbo charged MDR EX1000^^

Aug 9, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #4,356 of 15,258
I`m a big bass lover so I wanna say not really... The focus here is mainly on the subbass (which is awesome). The IER Z1R feels to me as turbo charged MDR EX1000^^

Argh. Where were you before I ordered? :D
I really hope I'm not headed towards another TH-900 fiasco ...
Do you own the IER-Z1R? If you do, will you still keep it as a fellow bass-lover?

Aug 9, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #4,357 of 15,258
Argh. Where were you before I ordered? :D
I really hope I'm not headed towards another TH-900 fiasco ...
Do you own the IER-Z1R? If you do, will you still keep it as a fellow bass-lover?

I do own both the MDR Z1R and IER Z1R. I totally expected the IER to sound like the MDR but it actually sounds nothing like it imo. I feel it sounds like what the EX1000 would sound like if it had been released today. That`s not a problem for me as the EX1000 is my favourite IEM of all time. I actually just bought another pair of the EX1000 just for a rainy day ;P

Whenever I listen to the IER Z1R I just can`t stop smiling cause the sound is beyond amazing which you will discover soon enough^^ So no.. I will NEVER return them :)

Aug 9, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #4,358 of 15,258
So you do find it lacking in bass impact, but it does not bother you? What are its redeeming qualities in your opinion? Subbass eumble? Expansive soundstage? Microdetails? Sorry for the interrogation.

P.S. Cool avatar. Haven't seen that li'l fella in quite a while.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #4,359 of 15,258
I do own both the MDR Z1R and IER Z1R. I totally expected the IER to sound like the MDR but it actually sounds nothing like it imo. I feel it sounds like what the EX1000 would sound like if it had been released today. That`s not a problem for me as the EX1000 is my favourite IEM of all time. I actually just bought another pair of the EX1000 just for a rainy day ;P

Whenever I listen to the IER Z1R I just can`t stop smiling cause the sound is beyond amazing which you will discover soon enough^^ So no.. I will NEVER return them :)
Want the ex1000 like 500usd? If so that doesn't good cause it costs 4x as much msrp

Aug 9, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #4,360 of 15,258
So you do find it lacking in bass impact, but it does not bother you? What are its redeeming qualities in your opinion? Subbass eumble? Expansive soundstage? Microdetails? Sorry for the interrogation.

yeah I hope people wont forget him :wink:

So it did actually bother me a little at first but when it comes to soundstage and microdetails it blows away anything else I`ve tried easily. I`m hearing new sounds in songs I`ve listened to hundreds of times before and that is quite an amazing feat.
If I absolutely want big bass kick then I just break out the ol Z5s which has plenty of it. And I probably won`t be breaking out the EX1000 for a long time after hearing these babies!

Look; I would`t worry too much if I were you.. Just wait until you hear the soundstage and you`ll know what I mean^^

Aug 9, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #4,361 of 15,258
Want the ex1000 like 500usd? If so that doesn't good cause it costs 4x as much msrp

Price is not everything. The EX1000 is incredible value for money! Even though the IER Z1R are WAY better then the EX1000 they still hold a very special place in my heart :wink:

Aug 9, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #4,362 of 15,258

Let your pair burn in for a while before deciding whether to return them or not

Aug 9, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #4,363 of 15,258
Also what tip size you use will have an impact also. Last night I switched from S to M and the bass quantity increased immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back