SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 2, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #4,156 of 15,233
My N6ii is a great source for Z1R because it's slightly accentuates lower mids and smooths out the top end a wee bit.

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #4,157 of 15,233
I’m expecting it to be a very good match with the Sony 1Z dap. Will probably know Monday

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #4,159 of 15,233
Aug 2, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #4,160 of 15,233
Okay, so this TH-900 talk really worries me. Can someone else who knows both please chime in? Some say these sound like the MDR-Z1R, some say they sound like the TH-900, which is a bit curious as these two 'phones are almost polar opposites. While the MDR-Z1R has a very relaxed sound with a tendency to sound muffled/veiled/dull and somewhat loose bass, the TH-900 is very aggressive sounding, has literally no midrange whatsoever (including mid-bass) and sounds super super bright/zingy/piercing with a lot of sub-bass. So a lot up top, then nothing, then quite a lot again aaall the way down. While I don't much care for the MDR-Z1R, I downright hate the TH-900 and find it pretty much unbearable to listen to. So which is it, folks? I was really looking forward to trying the IER-Z1R, but if there are any similarities in tuning with the TH-900, it's like I don't even have to bother.

This is why I asked earlier ITT if the midrange dip would affect mid-bass, which is one of my greatest worries. The TH-900 has a lot of rumble, but zero punch, which is not what I'm looking for at all. Can someone comment on how kick drums sound on the IER-Z1R? With the TH-900, I keep turning the volume up looking for that slam, and all that happens is that the piercing highs are making my ears bleed. Terrible, terrible headphone, at least for my purposes.
(All IMHO, of course, YMMV, no offense, exaggerations are for demonstrative purposes.)
If you're looking for punch, z1r isn't for you. Xba-z5 had allot more punch.

And I do think th900 does sound similar but also not quiet. I like the th900s a lot so this probably isn't for you

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #4,164 of 15,233
I found the 1A paring to be more neutral sounding. With 1Z, it's sound more smooth but also a bit warm. I like the vocal on the 1Z better though. Imagine is better on the 1Z as well.

I like a bit of warmth

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #4,165 of 15,233
I like a bit of warmth

Same. I hope Cayins next motherboard for the n6ii is more neutral...would be cool to be able to choose depending on my mood.

Aug 2, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #4,170 of 15,233
Okay, so this TH-900 talk really worries me. Can someone else who knows both please chime in? Some say these sound like the MDR-Z1R, some say they sound like the TH-900, which is a bit curious as these two 'phones are almost polar opposites. While the MDR-Z1R has a very relaxed sound with a tendency to sound muffled/veiled/dull and somewhat loose bass, the TH-900 is very aggressive sounding, has literally no midrange whatsoever (including mid-bass) and sounds super super bright/zingy/piercing with a lot of sub-bass. So a lot up top, then nothing, then quite a lot again aaall the way down. While I don't much care for the MDR-Z1R, I downright hate the TH-900 and find it pretty much unbearable to listen to. So which is it, folks? I was really looking forward to trying the IER-Z1R, but if there are any similarities in tuning with the TH-900, it's like I don't even have to bother.

This is why I asked earlier ITT if the midrange dip would affect mid-bass, which is one of my greatest worries. The TH-900 has a lot of rumble, but zero punch, which is not what I'm looking for at all. Can someone comment on how kick drums sound on the IER-Z1R? With the TH-900, I keep turning the volume up looking for that slam, and all that happens is that the piercing highs are making my ears bleed. Terrible, terrible headphone, at least for my purposes.
(All IMHO, of course, YMMV, no offense, exaggerations are for demonstrative purposes.)
The kick drum slam is there but I'm using a pretty powerful portable amp (Woo Audio WA11) and also with a desktop amp. These iems seem to require power to drive well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back