SONY IER-Z1R
Dec 28, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #9,481 of 15,264
From experience, does anyone have a problem with "normal" mmcx connector when connecting to the z1r? I have a few mmcx cable and realized that it doesnt fully fit the z1r's mmcx socket, I am afriad that if the connector moves around or gets knocked it might damage the z1r's connector?

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #9,482 of 15,264
From experience, does anyone have a problem with "normal" mmcx connector when connecting to the z1r? I have a few mmcx cable and realized that it doesnt fully fit the z1r's mmcx socket, I am afriad that if the connector moves around or gets knocked it might damage the z1r's connector?
I feel like those connector is looser than the one the Z1R cable currently using

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #9,483 of 15,264
Yes classical sounds amazing from IER-Z1R specially good recordings. In general I think that classical music sounds really bad if encodes using lossy. My 1.37TB library is all lossless
Is that 1.37T all classical?!

What service did you use to get your music?

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #9,484 of 15,264

Main problem is that it can be hard to disconnect other cables because of the recessed socket on the buds

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #9,485 of 15,264
Is that 1.37T all classical?!

What service did you use to get your music?
Yes, incredibly all is classical.

I have gotten cd as gift and bought disc's (CD/SACD) on Amazon, ebay, presto music, JPC.de

Online sources are qobuz download store, presto music, Chandos.net hyperion records, native dsd music, pentatone, spirit of turtle/challenge records

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #9,486 of 15,264

I have gotten cd as gift and bought disc's (CD/SACD) on Amazon, ebay, presto music, JPC.de

Online sources are qobuz download store, presto music, Chandos.net hyperion records, native dsd music, pentatone, spirit of turtle/challenge records
My sx also let me rip his cd to flac. In the uni where I studied I got CDs ripped. Tho here in Germany I don't dare to go to a library to rip cd . Only dis it once for a cd that was really unobtainium

Dec 28, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #9,487 of 15,264

wow, can I send you a large hd?

:slight_smile:

only half joking...

Dec 28, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #9,488 of 15,264
My sx also let me rip his cd to flac. In the uni where I studied I got CDs ripped. Tho here in Germany I don't dare to go to a library to rip cd . Only dis it once for a cd that was really unobtainium

gerelmx1986, is your WM1A uncapped? Does it have the 'juice' to bring the Z1Rs to life / push if needed? I've been looking into DAPs more and more as of late...

Dec 28, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #9,489 of 15,264
gerelmx1986, is your WM1A uncapped? Does it have the 'juice' to bring the Z1Rs to life / push if needed? I've been looking into DAPs more and more as of late...
Yes uncapped, bought from accessoryJack (hongkong) 5 years ago . As for juice, yes IMo on balanced has enough juice on normal gain

Dec 28, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #9,490 of 15,264
Yes uncapped, bought from accessoryJack (hongkong) 5 years ago . As for juice, yes IMo on balanced has enough juice on normal gain

Must be 4 years ago, they only came out late autumn 2016

Dec 28, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #9,491 of 15,264
Looking for another iem with similar performance to the z1r. I have tried the qdc Anole VX and u18t but found those too bland for my liking.
Have anyone tried the 64audio Trio/UM Mest how does it compare to the z1r? I am unable to get a demo in my country so I would have to do a blind buy. Any other opinion are also appreciated.

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #9,492 of 15,264
Question for those with DAPs that have a high gain and low gain (or in some cases a normal gain too): do you think the IER-Z1Rs should be run on high-gain (with volume around half for my listening volume), or on low gain (with volume around 80% in my case)?

I read a lot of people say the IER-Z1R are hard to drive and benefit from more power. Yet when high gain means setting volume at half of dBFS why bother?

I don’t feel I need high power out of most of my gear with the Z1Rs and my volume settings, but for my portable DAPs, which I run balanced, I‘m leaning towards keeping them on high gain even though low gain would allow me to have the volume set higher and potentially giving a better signal-to-noise ratio.

Thoughts? Comments? Cheers!
Gus

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #9,493 of 15,264
Looking for another iem with similar performance to the z1r. I have tried the qdc Anole VX and u18t but found those too bland for my liking.
Have anyone tried the 64audio Trio/UM Mest how does it compare to the z1r? I am unable to get a demo in my country so I would have to do a blind buy. Any other opinion are also appreciated.
One of my long-term references is a 64Audio Trio. I posted some brief comments a few pages back... I've heard the qdc Anole VX briefly, I prefer the Trio: higher excitement factor is the short version. To me, the Anole is very smooth, but uninvolving compared to Trio.

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #9,494 of 15,264
A friend of mine recently got a pair of Sony Z1R in a trade and has let me borrow them for a few days. I've not been a Sony fan for decades. Back when the ES line was introduced I thought it was over-priced (of course, that was before I had a real job, so everything was over-priced) and I didn't really like any of their "regular" components. He's let me borrow a couple other pair of Sony IEMs recently, and each of them was, "meh" to me. Combine that with the notorious fit issues and you could have knocked me over with a feather when I liked the Z1R. I think I'll even start eating Life cereal! How's that for dating yourself?

For me the fit isn't problematic. I got secure fits with both Spin Fits (which I use for everything) as well as original Spiral Dots (my previous go-to). Getting the sound pipes deep enough for a good seal did result in mild discomfort, but I listened to them for four hours continuously at work this morning and enjoyed it quite a lot. The overall sound is more analytical and sharper than I'm used to from my Trio, but not fatiguing to me. They are fairly even top to bottom to my ears. Bass is an interesting combination of deep and extended while still being lean. I'll chalk that up to quick decay perhaps. I need to listen to some acoustic jazz music where the bassist really attacks the strings to hear the strings rattle. Treble is clear and crystalline. I don't think "forward" is the right adjective to use to compare the Z1R treble to the Trio. The two differ in a similar way to well-executed titanium and silk tweeters. Mids are bright, not lush, but overall tonality is musical. I need to get my "audition" play list out again and listen to some well-worn tracks. I haven't challenged the Z1R with deepest bass, bass detail retrieval, vocals, or treble I know to be well recorded yet.

I switched to my Trio, with the Custom Arts tips, and listened for a few minutes before lunch. The Trio are more relaxed than the Z1R. I think I hear all the details through both IEMs, so I think the Z1R are more analytical with more separation between the notes while the Trio are more relaxed. I have a hard time here because I'd would think you'd lose some detail retrieval if your IEM was skewed to the soft/ musical side rather than the sharp/ analytical side of the spectrum but I think both the Trio and Z1R have great technicals. I'm glad I get to keep the Z1R for a few days. They are fun to listen to.

Here you go... Any other questions, just ask. By the way, I blind bought my Trio and am glad I did. I completely understand being reticent to spend this kind of money without an audition.

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #9,495 of 15,264
Here you go... Any other questions, just ask. By the way, I blind bought my Trio and am glad I did. I completely understand being reticent to spend this kind of money without an audition.
Thankyou so much, I might get the trio after I sell off my ier-m9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back