SONY IER-Z1R
Sep 9, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #8,656 of 15,264
Well the local shop here rang Sony for me and Sony spain said z1r is discontinued
Not impossible, but extremely unlikely. More likely is that the person responding had no idea, was irritated, and gave an answer to stop further questioning, and request to check stock, etc., etc. I have heard enough answers of this type from enough stores, that I no longer have faith that what somebody working in a store says is always true.

Sony has a history of NOT discontinuing products very quickly, and as the ier-z1r is not that old, and is selling very well, this would cast doubt on the reply from he clerk at the store in Spain.

Also, there would be rumors online, if that were the case. Can't find any so far.

Sep 9, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #8,657 of 15,264
Not impossible, but extremely unlikely. More likely is that the person responding had no idea, was irritated, and gave an answer to stop further questioning, and request to check stock, etc., etc. I have heard enough answers of this type from enough stores, that I no longer have faith that what somebody working in a store says is always true.

Sony has a history of NOT discontinuing products very quickly, and as the ier-z1r is not that old, and is selling very well, this would cast doubt on the reply from he clerk at the store in Spain.

Also, there would be rumors online, if that were the case. Can't find any so far.

yeah totally with you on this... accessoryjack told me they have no limitations on stock so it's MAYBE that sony europe aren't really importing them anymore so it's a USA Asia product ? I know my xba z5s were never readily available via sony europe

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #8,658 of 15,264
Same thing has been a rumor both in the MDR-Z1R thread and the WM1 thread for years but they are all still sold

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #8,659 of 15,264
Sony really knows how to keep the hype forever... just look at the classic XBA series

Sep 9, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #8,661 of 15,264
Same thing has been a rumor both in the MDR-Z1R thread and the WM1 thread for years but they are all still sold
It’s not sold out in Japan

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #8,662 of 15,264
What are your thoughts on z1r vs Solaris?
It's about a year since I sold my Z1r, but from memory it is still one of the best sounding IEMs I ever tried. For me the best IEM to get home and relax.

Low end on the Z1r is much present than Solaris. Mids are better defined and forward on the Solaris. Highs definitely goes to the Z1r.

I did write a comparison here between Z1r, M9 and A12t.

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #8,664 of 15,264
Accessory Jack is based out of Hong Kong and is not an authorized Sony dealer... meaning they don’t buy stock directly from Sony. It’s great that they have the IER-Z1R in stock, and they are certainly a trusted site, and a great place to buy discounted audiophile stuff (if one doesn’t mind foregoing a factory warranty), but whether or not they have an item tells us nothing about that item’s current manufacturing status... they procure items via the grey market, usually through back channels with legit authorized dealers who ordered too much stock at one point or another...
IER-Z1R is still available in Sony HK e-store.

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #8,665 of 15,264
IER-Z1R is still available in Sony HK e-store.

I also check on Sony Singapore online store, it’s still available.

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #8,666 of 15,264
What’s your preferred signature? What do you prioritise more in your iems? I’ve owned both and personally I think the Z1R smokes the U12t.

Hey mate, generally I do prefer all-rounder with a higher emphasis on Bass, but somewhat I do enjoy my EX1000 for its resolution, and I also enjoyed my Andromeda as well.

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #8,667 of 15,264
I just ordered on amazon a second hand IER-Z1R as I really want to know if rather good IEMs (less than 2K$) can reach the sound quality of my Headphones by Heddp or Z7M2. They are both making ears too "hot" and sweaty after a few hours.

As it won't buy it new, I would like to buy some new tips, so I am wondering if there are any better after market tips for the Sony IER-Z1R?
Is it worth to give a try to another made than Sony, as I suppose sound can be significantly impacted by the tips, but I want comfortable one that I can use more than 3 hours. I can't use memory foam tips (melonia 1 and Airpods Pro), as my ears canals get far too irritated at the end of a single day.
What can be improved with other made ?.
Basically, I don't really like Sony as a brand, but I must admit that little by little I am using mostly, with great pleasure, the WM1A (MrWalkman Z++ firmware) and the Z7M2 at the office (More than Hiby R6Pro/Fiio M11/Cambridge audio Melonia 1/Apple Airpods Pro).
So, these last months, I have some doubt using other brands for Hires sound matter. But I think I have read somewhere that some brand was making really good and comfortable silicone tips

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #8,668 of 15,264
I just ordered on amazon a second hand IER-Z1R as I really want to know if rather good IEMs (less than 2K$) can reach the sound quality of my Headphones by Heddp or Z7M2. They are both making ears too "hot" and sweaty after a few hours.

As it won't buy it new, I would like to buy some new tips, so I am wondering if there are any better after market tips for the Sony IER-Z1R?
Is it worth to give a try to another made than Sony, as I suppose sound can be significantly impacted by the tips, but I want comfortable one that I can use more than 3 hours. I can't use memory foam tips (melonia 1 and Airpods Pro), as my ears canals get far too irritated at the end of a single day.
What can be improved with other made ?.
Basically, I don't really like Sony as a brand, but I must admit that little by little I am using mostly, with great pleasure, the WM1A (MrWalkman Z++ firmware) and the Z7M2 at the office (More than Hiby R6Pro/Fiio M11/Cambridge audio Melonia 1/Apple Airpods Pro).
So, these last months, I have some doubt using other brands for Hires sound matter. But I think I have read somewhere that some brand was making really good and comfortable silicone tips
My take is to have a look on the Double Flange from Spinfit. I use it with all my universals. I haven't tried it with Z1r though. I only found it after I sold my Z1r, I wish I had tried it.

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #8,669 of 15,264
My take is to have a look on the Double Flange from Spinfit. I use it with all my universals. I haven't tried it with Z1r though. I only found it after I sold my Z1r, I wish I had tried it.

Thank you
I am not sure it is compatible with Z1R :thinking:
A 4mm conduct, seems to be really narrow for the Z1R and should impact the sound, isn't it ?

Capture Spinfit.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #8,670 of 15,264
Thank you
I am not sure it is compatible with Z1R :thinking:
A 4mm conduct, seems to be really narrow for the Z1R and should impact the sound, isn't it ?

Capture Spinfit.JPG
I can see it is ok for the other Sony XBA ones, from memory they have similar size. I do use these tips with Solaris, Noble Tux5, SD5, Audiofly and so on. They actually sound good. For 15 bucks it's worth a try.

But...the other members for sure have other suggestion, like the Sednas, JVC spiral dots and others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back