SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 19, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #6,363 of 15,259
I will get tomorrow my Z1R
So I wanted to clarify which cable type is best suited for Z1R? Copper or silver?

If you wanted resolution and happy with the bass. Wanted touch more spark and control highs try Satin Audio Merdusa.

Jan 19, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #6,364 of 15,259
A question for you z1r owners - I’m mostly listening to my Campfire IEMs these days (Andromeda S 75%, Atlas 25%), and I’m pondering adding a hybrid for extra flavor. Would this be a nice complement to what I have?

Tia Trio and the Z1r are on the shortlist. Looking for something with a wide soundstage and solid (sub)bass, which is where I find the Andro sometimes a bit light, and the Atlas (which is my fun and super bassy IEM) a bit...extreme for a lot of music.

Jan 19, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #6,365 of 15,259
A question for you z1r owners - I’m mostly listening to my Campfire IEMs these days (Andromeda S 75%, Atlas 25%), and I’m pondering adding a hybrid for extra flavor. Would this be a nice complement to what I have?

Tia Trio and the Z1r are on the shortlist. Looking for something with a wide soundstage and solid (sub)bass, which is where I find the Andro sometimes a bit light, and the Atlas (which is my fun and super bassy IEM) a bit...extreme for a lot of music.

I used to have and be very happy with the Andromeda S. But then I tried the Z1R and that was it. I still like the Andro, but the Z1R for me does almost everything better and it didn't make sense to keep both.

So based on my experience I would say the Z1R is not a good complement for the Andromeda, it's more of an upgrade: the Z1R sounds more natural and "bigger". Might be a good complement for the Atlas. I never really liked the Atlas though.

Jan 19, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #6,366 of 15,259
Looking for something with a wide soundstage and solid (sub)bass, which is where I find the Andro sometimes a bit light, and the Atlas (which is my fun and super bassy IEM) a bit...extreme for a lot of music.

CA Solaris is for you

Z1R has a lot of bass. So if you tires from the Atlas, then you’ll tire from the Z1R

Also Z1R is more for fun and Solaris is for every day and for many more genres. Solaris = Andro details + Atlas bass

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #6,369 of 15,259
AMomentApartCD_1000x1000_ec64c02a-a51d-433f-a631-96f0cb9e103f_1024x1024.jpg

Listening to this Album right now on Z1R. It doesn't get much better!

Jan 20, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #6,370 of 15,259
Well, I have got my Z1R today. Looks like Solaris will go to please someone else

Very engaging and entertaining sound with excellent resolution and soundstage. Very close to full-size headphones. Perhaps I do not know of other such earphones that would do better in that component.

E-MU Teak (full-size HP) are smashed by Z1R and also will go to the market, with Solaris and M9.

I have a TOTL planar headphones - Kennerton Thekk for aesthetic enjoyment. And I’ll leave Z1R for gastronomic delights :)

What full-sized headphone have you come across that sounds similar to the IER-Z1R?

I would recommend Thekk for you. These headphones are similar with Z1R in sound volume, depth and width of the soundstage, a sense of space, air. When you hear every instrument and feel its place in space. Awesome immersive effect!
Of course, Thekk have a big advantage in all of these components due to the form factor (and 80 mm drivers), but they are similar in essence.

Thekk it shines in details, balanced, natural and lively sound with the right tone. You can hear EVERYTHING, every nuance and detail. Therefore, these headphones are more audiophile and aesthetic

There are a few differences to keep in mind:
1. Z1R has a huge enveloping bass. Thekk has a quality detalied, textured bass with powerful punch. Such a bass is less voluminous, but more concentrated and sometimes creates a physical punch that you feel and reduce the volume.
2. In my opinion, the high frequencies in some tracks are too sharp. I hear SSSSSSS on vocals or from cymbals. Thekk do not have a similar problem.
3. Kennerton is Russian trademark so it is not easy to buy because all orders are placed in Russia. And import prices are 1.5-2 times higher than for residents of Russia

But I think it's an excellent choice. I am preparing a detailed review

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #6,371 of 15,259
CA Solaris is for you

Z1R has a lot of bass. So if you tires from the Atlas, then you’ll tire from the Z1R

Also Z1R is more for fun and Solaris is for every day and for many more genres. Solaris = Andro details + Atlas bass

I don’t tire of Atlas bass, but want something fun and different with solid bass oomph but a bit more sparkle up top. Hence me considering something other than Campfire.

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #6,372 of 15,259
CA Solaris is for you

I listen to classical music. And i find the Z1R (IER) to be quite good , inmense stage, lots of details and inner resolutions, nice bass and mids.

The other Z1R (MDR) w/70mm drivers , sounds a bit lean on the bass, soon will change cable on this one and see whats up

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #6,373 of 15,259
I listen to classical music. And i find the Z1R (IER) to be quite good , inmense stage, lots of details and inner resolutions, nice bass and mids.

The other Z1R (MDR) w/70mm drivers , sounds a bit lean on the bass, soon will change cable on this one and see whats up
That HP is a LOST cause.

Jan 20, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #6,374 of 15,259
I will get tomorrow my Z1R
So I wanted to clarify which cable type is best suited for Z1R? Copper or silver?

I paired the PW Audio 1960 with the Z1R and it’s sublime. I tried the 1950 yesterday and it’s sublime+. The extraction of details is just amazing. Both are copper wires. I actually prefer these 2 over the EA Horus which is gold plated silver. So I guess it’s not a simple copper vs silver comparison.

it’s about synergy and personal taste. So I still recommend that you do some auditions with different cables to find out what suits you.

Jan 20, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #6,375 of 15,259

Users who are viewing this thread

Back