SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 23, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #5,671 of 15,264
I've just recently got my set of IEM, but so far I'm pretty amazed how they handle metal, it's perfectly clean and not muddy at all imho, fast and precise even on not so great recordings. I've used to have XBA-Z5 and Hifiman RE-600 (on HM-801 and 901 DAPs) and they were far from satisfactory with this genre, I even stopped listening to most of my metal collection because of this, but WM1Z+Z1R makes me want to rediscover it again! :)
Example of the music I've tried it with

I like heavy metal when the mood hits me (Van Halen, AC DC, Ozzy, Metallica, etc.) but I have to be honest: I'm not critically listening to things like sound stage, instrument separation, bass timbre, etc. I just want a good loud electric guitar rift where the music is more important than my gear, ie., I can listen to heavy metal with my old iPods and I'll be happy.

But listening to jazz, pop, vocals, opera, classical, etc., I listen more critically which drives me to purchase more high end gear.

Maybe it's just me...

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #5,672 of 15,264
Great! That’s awesome news, whenever I see a DD and hear phrases like “booming bass” I get worried about the speed and ability to coherently play songs like the one you posted.

did you happen to hear the Andromeda? Those were my favorite metal IEM so far.
I heard the Andromeda and for it's time it is my favourite too, but as time goes on I think there are better IEM than the andromeda that I listen to (Z1r, u12t,...) they still very good and can compete with more expensive IEM, but not all of them. As for the Z1r they don't have that much bass as some online review may imply, i would say that the Z1r bass are more quality than quantity(the shure se846 have more bass and those are all Balanced Armature iem) , though there are still plenty of them, just not overwhelming other elements. Compare to the Andromeda it's wider, airier, the mid is a bit more recess(though it's very natural for how wide the soundstage is), the bass is more dynamic(fast and very detailed and didn't bleed into the mid) and the highs have more details. I think they are an amazing IEM and to me I can happily own just the z1r, though with this hobby it's not that simple.

Oct 24, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #5,673 of 15,264
15719455511641924804928932166531.jpg

Great IEMa dor Mozart's Great Mass in C minor. I am so impressed hownthey handle this work seamlessly

Oct 24, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #5,675 of 15,264
So I’ve read from a number of people that the IER-Z1Rs have a larger soundstage than the MDR-Z1Rs.

How can such a thing be possible?
No it doesn’t but it is more resolving than the MDR-Z1R and the soundstage size is very remarkable for IEM. I also like the tonal balance better with the IER being less bright, slightly warmer, and having better low bass output. The MDR-Z1R is boomier in midbass IMO.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #5,676 of 15,264
No it doesn’t but it is more resolving than the MDR-Z1R and the soundstage size is very remarkable for IEM. I also like the tonal balance better with the IER being less bright, slightly warmer, and having better low bass output. The MDR-Z1R is boomier in midbass IMO.

My impressions are the exact opposite: I do indeed perceive the soundstage of the IER as being quite a bit larger than the MDR's. Also my MDR sounds warmer and less bright to me than my IER by several orders of magnitude. I always found the MDR quite warm, dark and even a bit dull. The IER is anything but.
Agree re: bass, fwiw.

Oct 25, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #5,677 of 15,264
My impressions are the exact opposite: I do indeed perceive the soundstage of the IER as being quite a bit larger than the MDR's. Also my MDR sounds warmer and less bright to me than my IER by several orders of magnitude. I always found the MDR quite warm, dark and even a bit dull. The IER is anything but.
Agree re: bass, fwiw.
What I meant “bright” on the MDR-Z1R is a rather peaky response but not overall bright tonality. I don’t have the MDR anymore but I don’t enjoy the MDR with everything mostly due to that extra mid bass that’s always there. The IER’s extra boost in low bass however really make every genre enjoyable to my ears. I think the IER is a fantastic earphones/headphones.

Oct 25, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #5,678 of 15,264
Just a quick question, has anybody tried connecting standard mmcx connectors from the likes of Effect Audio to the Z1R? Im aware that the female connection on the Z1R's are a little recessed.

Oct 25, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #5,679 of 15,264
Just a quick question, has anybody tried connecting standard mmcx connectors from the likes of Effect Audio to the Z1R? Im aware that the female connection on the Z1R's are a little recessed.

I tried the FiiO silver litz one and had a very hard time removing it from the socket so I just use the stock cable now. I think the stock cable is really good.

Oct 25, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #5,680 of 15,264

I never used a Effect Audio cable, but I did plug in my Fiio LC-4.4C cable without any issue at all.

Stick with the stock cable because it's perfect.

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #5,681 of 15,264
Plug in is no issue but removing is difficult. Agreed on the stock cable.

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #5,682 of 15,264

I tried the Sony Kimber 4.4 and like others say plugging in is no problem but getting the cable off again is a bit of a struggle. I also think the stock cable is really good and just use it. I use the stock 3.5 cable via mmcx->2pin adaptors with my JH13 customs as my other cable broke and I actually like the Sony cable better.

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #5,683 of 15,264
What I meant “bright” on the MDR-Z1R is a rather peaky response but not overall bright tonality. I don’t have the MDR anymore but I don’t enjoy the MDR with everything mostly due to that extra mid bass that’s always there. The IER’s extra boost in low bass however really make every genre enjoyable to my ears. I think the IER is a fantastic earphones/headphones.

I also think I prefer the IER over the MDR but I do love both of them and would not get rid of either

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #5,684 of 15,264
I also think I prefer the IER over the MDR but I do love both of them and would not get rid of either
The IER is just so musical to me. I can use it with any genre including MP3s and not so good recorded music...something that I can’t never go for on my Stax and HD800.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #5,685 of 15,264
Have the same feeling, i like the IER more thab the MDR, but both haventheir character and at the end the have some how.similiar aound. But i perceive the MDR a bit peaky and bright as @purk said. In fact i purchased the MDR von Ihm. Still likenthem both and will not get rid if f the MDR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back