SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 20, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #5,626 of 15,264
when they feel like it. The current range has lasted 3 years (well the DMP-Z1 has come out since as has the Z1R iem) and nothing new was announced in September so will probably be at least another year if ever and I think it was something similar with the previous lot (ZX2 and Z5 iem)

Ok thanks for the info. I’ve been on the fence regarding getting either the WM1Z or the LPTG to compliment my WM1A. Then I wouldn’t need to worry about transporting it to work and home each day.

Open to suggestions if anyone has any.

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #5,627 of 15,264
Hi I could give a hint. Iv been usin 1z+ba300s for a month now.
Well yes it ads a nice tube timber, makes sound more dynamic, also brings in a little forward the mids( subtle but just enough),
What it also does it elevate the treble and extends it even farther more than stock 1z 4.4mm.

Overall I am very pleased with oriolus its a true tube amp, its balanced ads more punch and sub bass with better airier and extended treble.

But I whant to add this to my personal experience. I recently moded my ier-z1r and now my foams are much less dense and I can feel sound completely differently now. To my surprise I prefer 1z and ier-z1r with moded new foams!

1z has a much cleaner and refined sound. It gentle smooth extreamly detailed with very finest nuances.
I also found 1z bring more bass textures, some how I felt with oriolus the bass slight less defined but more bloomy and bouncy and deeper wider kinda off. Its very subtle but for me who listens 5 hours a day all this nuances they build up and I can feel it.
I WAS NOT ABLE to discern sound so much with stock ier-z1r foams.
Ier-z1r is an outstanding iem it literally sounds better then orpheus he1 the 50 000$ headphone from sennheiser!!!
And yes I did heard that headphone I am not hyping this.

So my suggestion for you is
If you buy oriolus you might like it with sony stock foams.
If you mode your foams and just use 1z I think you will have a much better sound experience!

Hi, just got my Z1r and so far have been very impressed, have anyone trying it on Tube Amplifier? I was planning on getting the Oriolus BA300s and was wondering how the Tube going to change it sound. My current source is the Onkyo dpx 1a.

They Just released ier-z1r and dmp a year a go. Consider that this 2 devices gona stay totl for next 3 or 4 years minimum.

I believe theire next release should be 1a and 1z successor. Maybe in 1 year or 2 who knows.
But i think they released zx300 and 1z pretty much in same year you know.

How often does Sony replace their flagship products, like their IEMs and DAPs?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #5,628 of 15,264
Hi I could give a hint. Iv been usin 1z+ba300s for a month now.
Well yes it ads a nice tube timber, makes sound more dynamic, also brings in a little forward the mids( subtle but just enough),
What it also does it elevate the treble and extends it even farther more than stock 1z 4.4mm.

Overall I am very pleased with oriolus its a true tube amp, its balanced ads more punch and sub bass with better airier and extended treble.

But I whant to add this to my personal experience. I recently moded my ier-z1r and now my foams are much less dense and I can feel sound completely differently now. To my surprise I prefer 1z and ier-z1r with moded new foams!

1z has a much cleaner and refined sound. It gentle smooth extreamly detailed with very finest nuances.
I WAS NOT ABLE to discern sound so much with custom ier-z1r foams.
Ier-z1r is an outstanding iem it literally sounds better then orpheus he1 the 50 000$ headphone from sennheiser!!!
And yes I did heard that headphone I am not hyping this.

So my suggestion for you is
If you buy oriolus you might like it with sony stock foams.
If you mode your foams and just use 1z I think you will have a much better sound experience!

They Just released ier-z1r and dmp a year a go. Consider that this 2 devices gona stay totl for next 3 or 4 years minimum.

I believe theire next release should be 1a and 1z successor. Maybe in 1 year or 2 who knows.
But i think they released zx300 and 1z pretty much in same year you know.

well zx300 and 1Z dont really belong to the same lines so cant be thought of as upgrades/refreshes of each other

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #5,629 of 15,264
Im currently using the WM1A. Thoughts on the filter mod with that DAP?

Currently I’m 100% happy with that setup, but I’m just tired of lugging around the DAP from home to work and back home each day.

That’s why I’m looking for another DAP. The tube amp setup sounds pretty interesting though.

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #5,630 of 15,264
well zx300 and 1Z dont really belong to the same lines so cant be thought of as upgrades/refreshes of each other

Zx500 uses same caps as dmp that did impress me and I instantly thought maybe new tech could bring us new sounds quality at affordable prices close to 1z ! )

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #5,631 of 15,264
Im currently using the WM1A. Thoughts on the filter mod with that DAP?

Currently I’m 100% happy with that setup, but I’m just tired of lugging around the DAP from home to work and back home each day.

That’s why I’m looking for another DAP. The tube amp setup sounds pretty interesting though.

The IER-Z1R has the best trebles extensions, retrieval, definition, fidelity and textures that I have ever heard from any ears buds....heck....even Fullsizes. But it only happened when the stock filters is modified or removed.

Now, the kicker here is that, if your Source or devices is Harsh and sibilant, then removing the filters or upgrade, the Z1R will spit in your ears full of sibilants and harshness. If your source is beautiful, then that is all there is to it.

I don’t know particularly on how the modified IER-Z1R would fair with WM-1A

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #5,632 of 15,264
I think the IER-Z1R will remain flagsjip for.many years as did the ex1000. To be frank the XBA-Z5 wasndor.me not a TOTL from sony in sound alone

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #5,633 of 15,264
The IER-Z1R has the best trebles extensions, retrieval, definition, fidelity and textures that I have ever heard from any ears buds....heck....even Fullsizes. But it only happened when the stock filters is modified or removed.

Now, the kicker here is that, if your Source or devices is Harsh and sibilant, then removing the filters or upgrade, the Z1R will spit in your ears full of sibilants and harshness. If your source is beautiful, then that is all there is to it.

I don’t know particularly on how the modified IER-Z1R would fair with WM-1A

Man Cant agree any further more with you on this one.

Its like ier-z1r with stock foams sounds like a 800$ iem.

Ier-z1r no foam = 100 000$ sound quality typo

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #5,635 of 15,264
Man, you guys are making me want to remove the filters. Has anyone done this using the WM1A? I’m running 3.02 if that happens to matter.

You will experience better sound. It could be to analytical in my opinion. You can always play with foams. Add something not as thick as the stock ones...

You may also be so impressed with sound and lose your mind and buy the dmp Hahaha

Just do slowly and carefully so you can reuse the stock foams...

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #5,637 of 15,264
when they feel like it. The current range has lasted 3 years (well the DMP-Z1 has come out since as has the Z1R iem) and nothing new was announced in September so will probably be at least another year if ever and I think it was something similar with the previous lot (ZX2 and Z5 iem)
Remember qualia line back in the early 2000's? I am fearing the one aignature awries line up will have the same fate as the qualia, done once.
.. no more in the future

Oct 20, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #5,639 of 15,264
Decisions, decision. My one and only concern is the foamless Z1Rs may be a bit too bright with the WM1A.

Then again, I can always put the foams back in.

I'd say be careful with the foam mod. Certainly it increases the treble, but one of the ramifications of this, that is not quite mentioned is that the bass weight is reduced significantly. I don't think it sounds right that way. Imagine the voluptuous sound scape with a very tiny and plasticky low end. The denser default foam is what from my observations provide this bass heft, and solidity to the low end. Now switching out to a less dense foam will assist in hearing even more detail, but I don't find it that dramatic to warrant voiding the warranty of what I regard as an expensive product. Furthermore, you'll have to experiment with how much foam to use etc, and risk damaging the drivers in the process. Just another thought.

Oct 20, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #5,640 of 15,264
Man, you guys are making me want to remove the filters.
Just remember that it's only a few (very vocal) users who have done this mod, it's not a consensus or anything like that.
If you're comfortable modifying your Z1R and then returning it to its original state, then there is really nothing to fear and I'm curious to know what you thought of the change. If on the other hand you never thought to yourself: Man, I wish the Z1R had louder treble, then maybe you shouldn't bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back