SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 21, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #841 of 15,260
There is room for more than one :D
I love both Solaris and FW10000 for different reasons, I might love IER-Z1R also but yeah you’re right the rabbit hole can have you devolve into pure addiction quickly :p

Nice to know, thanks!
Well seems your goal is to write on iems, others is to chase what cannot be caught, I, my goal is to settle with a unicorn and not throw money here and there. Seems many enjoy the high of spending money. Bet if one new how to pick up women as they can iems they will be tossing to the side two women a month.

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #842 of 15,260
Didnt you JUST get a Solaris ? Happiness, bliss lasts just but one day ?
Seems in this hobby when one finds a great product they quickly start searching to replace it.

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #844 of 15,260
Seems in this hobby when one finds a great product they quickly start searching to replace it.

Well this hobby can become like drug, only it’s good for your health to enjoy music rather than substances abuse, but granted it can be as bad for your wallet as gaming addiction...

Thing is once you get better SQ you want ever better SQ... I remember vividly my Viva Egoista 845 / HifiMan Susvara experience... mind blowing! Still, right now I am getting 85% of this for 10x less money so...

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #847 of 15,260
Had the time for a little stop at the Sony Style store in Shanghai and I tried the Z1R IEMs. Disclaimer, as the cable was glued to the IEMs I could not use my source as I didn't have my WM1Z with me, and the cable was 4.4. Also, I am not sure this is the final tuning as this demo seemed quite worn out.

Long story short, the stage is incredible, most open sounding IEM I have heard by far. The bass is deep and well controlled, no harshness in the treble, super clarity in the mids. Where I had a problem was that the mids sounded a bit thin and brittle, making the overall feeling a bit dry. If this has been tweaked on the final version, this will be a huge hit.
Ugh. I have this on order, and I listen to mainly hard bop. I need a rich midrange. Haven’t been able to get my head ( or maybe my small ears) around the Solaris; I still feel burned by the tuning of the Vega I purchased as part of the Hype train a couple of years ago.
I’m thinking I need to wait until the two new high end Final iems are released. If they are tuned like my full sized D8000’s.....

Jan 21, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #848 of 15,260
Ugh. I have this on order, and I listen to mainly hard bop. I need a rich midrange. Haven’t been able to get my head ( or maybe my small ears) around the Solaris; I still feel burned by the tuning of the Vega I purchased as part of the Hype train a couple of years ago.
I’m thinking I need to wait until the two new high end Final iems are released. If they are tuned like my full sized D8000’s.....
You need Obravo eamt or ra-c

Jan 21, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #851 of 15,260
Jan 21, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #852 of 15,260
4F850BB9-3559-408D-B9C4-D5D5B9A77425.png
Had the time for a little stop at the Sony Style store in Shanghai and I tried the Z1R IEMs. Disclaimer, as the cable was glued to the IEMs I could not use my source as I didn't have my WM1Z with me, and the cable was 4.4. Also, I am not sure this is the final tuning as this demo seemed quite worn out.

Long story short, the stage is incredible, most open sounding IEM I have heard by far. The bass is deep and well controlled, no harshness in the treble, super clarity in the mids. Where I had a problem was that the mids sounded a bit thin and brittle, making the overall feeling a bit dry. If this has been tweaked on the final version, this will be a huge hit.

Maybe someone dropped em a bunch? With the design is it not the BA the midrange? I bet they look scuffed as they were dropped. Who is going to know at the store by how different they ended up sounding? They probably had to glue the cables because they broke?

Just wishing here.......

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #853 of 15,260

With the design is it not the BA the midrange?

No, the large dynamic driver is mid and low, the BA is high frequency, while the dynamic super tweeter is ultra high frequency in the IER-Z1R setup.

Jan 21, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #854 of 15,260

Long story short, the stage is incredible, most open sounding IEM I have heard by far. The bass is deep and well controlled, no harshness in the treble, super clarity in the mids. Where I had a problem was that the mids sounded a bit thin and brittle, making the overall feeling a bit dry. If this has been tweaked on the final version, this will be a huge hit.\

Ha, pretty much my impressions when I heard the Z1R at IFA. The width of the stage is amazing. Bass and treble spot on for me. Only beef was in the mids. Specifically the upper mid to treble transition wasn't as clear/separated as should be for a top-tier IEM. When you got everything going so well, it stands out like a sore thumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back