SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 14, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #826 of 15,172
Can you please compare them to the IE800 i see you have them in your inventory? Also can someone that have or heard the Atlas compare to this? It would be interesting to compare them because the Atlas have a 10mm dynamic driver while the Z1r have two and one of them is 12mm. One of this two will be in my next purchase.
Sorry for the late reply. I haven't heard the IE800 for a long time but from what I remember the Z1R is darker sounding (in comparison) and has more body while IE800 sound leaner and shrill with brighter sound signature. They sounds very different to me with IE800 being much more analytical sounding even though the Z1R probably have better detail and higher level of fidelity in general. Z1R has larger soundstage. I demoed Atlas for a very short time so no comment on that.

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #827 of 15,172
I decided I was willing to do the bad thing (blind buying) once in 2019 so I put a 50% deposit down on an IER-Z1R. Not from the US, of course, because the US price is ridiculous. Looking forward to trying this thing out. The squiggly looks pretty ideal, and I do love DD bass. We'll see how things work out.

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #828 of 15,172
I decided I was willing to do the bad thing (blind buying) once in 2019 so I put a 50% deposit down on an IER-Z1R. Not from the US, of course, because the US price is ridiculous. Looking forward to trying this thing out. The squiggly looks pretty ideal, and I do love DD bass. We'll see how things work out.
If you likes the HS1650CU then you probably fine with the Z1R. It not as energetic as the 1650 and more mature sounding but the signature isn't too far off apart from Z1R has more focus on midrange than 1650.

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #829 of 15,172
If you likes the HS1650CU then you probably fine with the Z1R. It not as energetic as the 1650 and more mature sounding but the signature isn't too far off apart from Z1R has more focus on midrange than 1650.
Yea. That all sounds great to me. While I do like some energy I could understand if someone says the 1650 has too much.

I am hoping it has a bit more isolation than the 1650. It looks like it should fit a little deeper where as Acoustune IEMs are probably the most shallow fitting I've used. Perhaps Acoustunes have enough isolation with Symbio W or AET06 M+. I haven't been able to test since mine is in for repair. By the time I get it back the Z1R will likely be arriving within a week or two.

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #830 of 15,172
Yea. That all sounds great to me. While I do like some energy I could understand if someone says the 1650 has too much.

I am hoping it has a bit more isolation than the 1650. It looks like it should fit a little deeper where as Acoustune IEMs are probably the most shallow fitting I've used. Perhaps Acoustunes have enough isolation with Symbio W or AET06 M+. I haven't been able to test since mine is in for repair. By the time I get it back the Z1R will likely be arriving within a week or two.
Yeah, I have the 1670SS and the fit is pretty shallow with the stock tips even though I did find it comfortable (To me these has some comfort problem but it come from the cable, not the iem itself). The Z1R fit much more snugly to me and pretty comfortable for such a large iem.

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #831 of 15,172
Had the time for a little stop at the Sony Style store in Shanghai and I tried the Z1R IEMs. Disclaimer, as the cable was glued to the IEMs I could not use my source as I didn't have my WM1Z with me, and the cable was 4.4. Also, I am not sure this is the final tuning as this demo seemed quite worn out.

Long story short, the stage is incredible, most open sounding IEM I have heard by far. The bass is deep and well controlled, no harshness in the treble, super clarity in the mids. Where I had a problem was that the mids sounded a bit thin and brittle, making the overall feeling a bit dry. If this has been tweaked on the final version, this will be a huge hit.

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #832 of 15,172
@Mimouille My wallet wished you didn’t write that :p

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #833 of 15,172
Wishful thinking.

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #834 of 15,172
Had the time for a little stop at the Sony Style store in Shanghai and I tried the Z1R IEMs. Disclaimer, as the cable was glued to the IEMs I could not use my source as I didn't have my WM1Z with me, and the cable was 4.4. Also, I am not sure this is the final tuning as this demo seemed quite worn out.

Long story short, the stage is incredible, most open sounding IEM I have heard by far. The bass is deep and well controlled, no harshness in the treble, super clarity in the mids. Where I had a problem was that the mids sounded a bit thin and brittle, making the overall feeling a bit dry. If this has been tweaked on the final version, this will be a huge hit.
May be its been asked, Haven't followed this thread much, but how is the size of the iem, is it similar to the M9 or much bigger.

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #836 of 15,172
Havent seen a photo of these actually in someone's ears yet - how far do they stick out?
Didnt you JUST get a Solaris ? Happiness, bliss lasts just but one day ?

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #839 of 15,172
Dodnt you JUST get a Solaris ? Happiness, bliss lasts just but one day ?

There is room for more than one :D
I love both Solaris and FW10000 for different reasons, I might love IER-Z1R also but yeah you’re right the rabbit hole can have you devolve into pure addiction quickly :p

Just to be clear, if it sounds like what I heard, even though the stage is great, the Solaris is better, more harmonious and coherent. I just don't believe it is the final sound.

Nice to know, thanks!

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #840 of 15,172
Just to be clear, if it sounds like what I heard, even though the stage is great, the Solaris is better, more harmonious and coherent. I just don't believe it is the final sound.
Then what I demoed seems its similar to what you wrote on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back