SONY IER-Z1R
Jun 30, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #3,467 of 15,260
Wh
Can anyone please compare the ierz1r to Noble audio khan?
I though they were oposite in signature. One complete the other. But I only spent a couple hours with the Khan.

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #3,469 of 15,260
Can anyone please compare the ierz1r to Noble audio khan?
The Khan generally has a lot lighter presentation in comparison to the Z1R with much less bass quantity and visceral impact (a bit too less for some). Mid is probably a bit lighter/thinner sounding as well but more forward than the Z1R and more natural sounding in my opinion. Treble on the Khan is more prominence and more airy and while both can exhibit (light) sibilant in certain tracks, Khan's treble is a touch more smooth to me. Soundstage on both is very large for an IEM but Khan's has more height and more airy sounding while Z1R's soundstage is a bit wider and grander to me, the second point due to larger instrument imagine.

For the N8, I think the Khan could be a better match but I don't think the Z1R would be a bad paring either. The Z1R is the darker sounding of the two and has more body than the Khan but it's actually not that warm of an iem, not to mention that the extra juice on the N8 could benefit the Z1R to a larger extent as well.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #3,470 of 15,260
The Khan generally has a lot lighter presentation in comparison to the Z1R with much less bass quantity and visceral impact (a bit too less for some). Mid is probably a bit lighter/thinner sounding as well but more forward than the Z1R and more natural sounding in my opinion. Treble on the Khan is more prominence and more airy and while both can exhibit (light) sibilant in certain tracks, Khan's treble is a touch more smooth to me. Soundstage on both is very large for an IEM but Khan's has more height and more airy sounding while Z1R's soundstage is a bit wider and grander to me, the second point due to larger instrument imagine.

For the N8, I think the Khan could be a better match but I don't think the Z1R would be a bad paring either. The Z1R is the darker sounding of the two and has more body than the Khan but it's actually not that warm of an iem, not to mention that the extra juice on the N8 could benefit the Z1R to a larger extent as well.

How would you compare the Z1R and the Solaris? Are they complementary? Preferences?

Jun 30, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #3,471 of 15,260
How would you compare the Z1R and the Solaris? Are they complementary? Preferences?
I wrote some comparison about these two a while ago but after having spent a long time with them, my opinion have changed quite a bit. The signature of Solaris would fit right in between the Z1R and the Khan, as in the sound has rather full and thick body like the Z1R (but less in the bass) but more airy and open sounding like the Khan in the treble though Solaris is the only one in this comparison that has absolutely no sibilant and remain smooth throughout, the treble is not as prominence as the Khan, however. Clarity wise, I think the Z1R has the edge as it has accentuated upper midrange though it can cause fatigue after certain time (to me).The soundstage on the Solaris to me is a bit smaller than the Z1R but more airy and it also has the best imagine among the three in term of placement. I do think the Solaris and the Z1R complement each other well with the Solaris as the more laid back sounding one (yet still energetic) that you can listen for hours and hours, and the more intense sounding Z1R with bigger bass/more impact. Details feel more in your face with the Z1R, also.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #3,473 of 15,260
That's so interesting because while I agree with most of the above comparison, the Khan seemed far more aggressive in the highs (and less smooth) to me.
I agree that the Khan is airier and and upper mids are more forward, while lower mids are thinner and bass is less than the IER-Z1R.
I would say the Khan has a sharpened image (ala photography) compared to the IER-Z1R, but note size is demonstrably less dense and thinner.
Khan's stage width was a bit underwhelming to me (vs Encore and Katana even) but separation was still very clean.

Like @crinacle has stated, the IER-Z1R's highs depends on fit so obviously buyers need to try for themselves.

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #3,474 of 15,260
Jul 1, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #3,476 of 15,260

I have tried the Khan for a moment after listening to the IER-Z1R for a day and would say you nailed the differences here!

Jul 1, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #3,477 of 15,260
When my z1r was incoming I promised I would take some high quality photos of them. Unfortunately I've been very busy and only got a chance to try something yesterday, but again I has in a hurry so lighting, reflections and background control is missing, poses could've been more interesting, etc. Still, I wanted to share the pics I took, since they are at least high resolution. Maybe high quality will follow at a later date.

(there was no easy way to arrange them so the order is pretty random)

ier-z1r_15.JPG ier-z1r_25.JPG ier-z1r_03.JPG ier-z1r_14.JPG ier-z1r_24.JPG ier-z1r_13.JPG ier-z1r_23.JPG ier-z1r_01.JPG ier-z1r_05.JPG ier-z1r_07.JPG ier-z1r_18.JPG ier-z1r_06.JPG ier-z1r_16.JPG ier-z1r_26.JPG ier-z1r_11.JPG ier-z1r_10.JPG ier-z1r_32.JPG ier-z1r_31.JPG ier-z1r_20.JPG ier-z1r_30.JPG ier-z1r_36.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #3,478 of 15,260
Has there been any agreement on the best source for the IER Z1R? I'm seriously considering picking up a used one at some point to compliment my Solaris. Right now I have a zx300 with a Cayin N6ii on the way.

Jul 1, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #3,479 of 15,260
Has there been any agreement on the best source for the IER Z1R? I'm seriously considering picking up a used one at some point to compliment my Solaris. Right now I have a zx300 with a Cayin N6ii on the way.

It will not compliment your Solaris, it will insult it until it turns red in the face(plate). :)

I like it with the zx300.

15620057137021930118395115968758.jpg

Jul 1, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #3,480 of 15,260
It will not compliment your Solaris, it will insult it until it turns red in the face(plate). :)

I like it with the zx300.

lol

And that's good to know...I had a hard time getting consistent answers regarding the ZX300's capacity to drive the Z1R. I'm looking for options beyond the ZX300 not because of how it sounds (I love it) but because its playlist functionality sucks, which is apparently something that will nag at me in the long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back