SONY IER-Z1R
May 8, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #2,538 of 15,249
Any music with a lot of dynamic swing will show that differences as long as you have sudden low bass like any double bass or drum or low register organ notes will do.
Thanks for the notes! Will try to find music that matches your description. I don't mean to impose but when I looked at your profile, I saw that you have to Campfire Solaris and Jomo Trinity, how would you compare the IER Z1R to these two IEMs? And which would be your favorite IEM or top pick?

May 8, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #2,539 of 15,249
Ok. My ears seem to be ringing though. Are these vented? At the bottom where the r and l letters are?
I would think ears ringing would be more dependent on volume levels than IEM placement? Personally I feel the valve inventions you see may work to open some soundstage with some IEMs but it also just looks like simple marketing. Meaning there is a bunch of ways to skin a cat. Some
IEMs have ports some don’t. I think it’s design dependent?
Don't know about the Z1R, but other than Adel IEM's, the ones that are vented usually (some I'm sure is marketing!) are to facilitate full flexing of a Dynamic Driver. Those vents open to the back of the driver and not between the front of the driver and the ear canal.

May 8, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #2,540 of 15,249
IMG_3010.JPG

Just received mine from stereo.com.sg. Gotta vouch for those folks as ordered on their Sunday and they shipped it the next day. Item got to Denver before mid day on Wednesday which is insane. I opted for DHL 12:00, since am leaving here on the weekend. Those guys were communicative, flexible, and responsive.

Out of the box, dynamics are there, but it’s not as clear as I remember. Can’t hear the treble, and bass is just a tad too elevated. However, I can already tell that sheer detail is above anything I’ve owned so far. At the same time, it sounds effortless. I don’t find any major issues with the mids right now to be honest. Imaging is very good, and all elements in the ensemble have a substantial body to them, and I can sense a decent depth in the soundstage. This is all from using iPhone X and dongle.

Trying to figure out the fit as my ears are very small. As been repeated ad nauseam they are huge and heavy. So far quite happy with the purchase, these are very well built, and feel like high quality IEMs suggestive of its point.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #2,541 of 15,249
Just received mine from stereo.com.sg. Gotta vouch for those folks as ordered on their Sunday and they shipped it the next day. Item got to Denver before mid day on Wednesday which is insane. I opted for DHL 12:00, since am leaving here on the weekend. Those guys were communicative, flexible, and responsive.

Out of the box, dynamics are there, but it’s not as clear as I remember. Can’t hear the treble, and bass is just a tad too elevated, however, I can already tell that sheer detail is above anything I’ve owned so far. At the same time, it sounds effortless. I don’t see any major issues with the mids right now to be honest. Imaging is very good, and all elements in the ensemble have a substantial body to them, and I can sense a decent depth in the soundstage. This is all from using iPhone X and dongle.

That’s where I purchased too. You may think the IER-Z1R changes after about 100 hours of play. When I was at the shop they had a pair with 200 hours and I opened my box of new ones to test them. There was a big difference between the two IEMs. Folks who don’t believe in burn-in may argue that what I was hearing was purely psychological? Whatever it was the ones I own are more like Stereo’s now?

And.....they seemed to be more clear after burn-in. The ones in the shop seemed both warmer and colder sounding at the same time? It was like some frequencies were warmer yet others seemed brighter and colder? Also the shops were way more efficient? The bass gets more detailed and tighter.

Also it was the first moment hearing them. I purchased without a demo.....with reservation of a pair on line. I just guessed I would like them.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #2,543 of 15,249
$$$$$$$$$$ wow my dude amazing setup you have there

May 8, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #2,544 of 15,249
Thanks for the notes! Will try to find music that matches your description. I don't mean to impose but when I looked at your profile, I saw that you have to Campfire Solaris and Jomo Trinity, how would you compare the IER Z1R to these two IEMs? And which would be your favorite IEM or top pick?
I love my Jomo Trinity, JVC FW10K, and Sony Z1R, they are all different and I switch them around depending on mood. I consider the Z1R is a very capable all rounder. The Solaris is pretty good but unfortunately switching back and forth between my Trinity and Solaris, I felt there is a veil on the Solaris. But Trinity is a much cleaner iems with very sweet mids and treble.

As to your question which of these iems is my favorite iem, it is like, if I may, asking which singer is my favorite artist. Even though I may have some that I like more, but to listen to only one artist regardless of how good he/she is will eventually becomes boring. I enjoy diversity and different style and each iem will give me a different feel.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #2,545 of 15,249
How is everyone enjoying their IER-Z1R so far?
I love that he is using a $3200 DAP as a digital transport! That's totally hardcore/insane!! :money_mouth:

May 9, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #2,546 of 15,249
Don't think I'll be shoving iems in my ear canals much in the future. I can feel something with certain sounds in there and even after a few minutes of listening I think my ears are ringing. I should be getting a seal without getting in there. Where does everyone else have their IER-Z1Rs? In your ear canal or on the edge of it?

May 9, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #2,547 of 15,249
I sold the Hugo 2, to fund the IER-Z1Rs, and kept the Mojo. I’m curious how the Hugo 2 pairs with them, but it’s a marked increase in sound quality from the iPhone X and dongIe to the Mojo. Still early, but I like what am hearing so far with the Mojo, and the IER-Z1Rs.

May 9, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #2,549 of 15,249
That's interesting. My experience very much concurs with yours above with the exception of bright. I suppose it's all relative, but compared to say a Hugo 2, or ifi micro black label, the Mojo's treble is quite reticent.

May 9, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #2,550 of 15,249
It made the Hifiman Edition X v2 I had harsh in highs. The iFi Micro Black Label, by contrast, did next to nothing. Never heard the Hugo 2 but Chord's higher end stuff probably does some aspects at an outstanding level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back