SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 23, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #2,236 of 15,170
Single-ended, which is more understandable but it was single-ended out of my iPod too. I've just gone back to balanced out with the Z1R and it sounds like ass. I think the A5 does a significantly better job with these too, which is completely unacceptable. This is such a hassle...

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #2,237 of 15,170
Some of these threads should be asked in the ZX300 thread. I'll just say this TOTL IEMs and headphones should be paired with a good source, amp, and I didn't think I'd have to say this but evidently it does if someone is using old mp3s, good music files or run it off a good cd transport.

Apr 23, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #2,238 of 15,170
Aren't the wm1a and wm1z good sources? $600 isn't good enough either? You bet this belongs in this thread. What enables the wm1a and wm1z to drive much better than the zx300 if not power? I'm also receptive to suggestions for testing the effect of music quality despite the experience I already have.

By the way, the zx300 is even sold bundled with these iems.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #2,239 of 15,170
Apr 23, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #2,240 of 15,170
Honestly @rutter you should just take a trip to SoCal for CanJam or go somewhere where you can try all of this stuff before buying (instead of relying on other people’s impressions).

I’m not being snarky or anything - it’ll save you money in the long run.

Apr 23, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #2,241 of 15,170
Ideally yes. Funny thing is even in those conditions I doubt I'll have the time and options to test properly. I'm going back to high gain on the zx300 and the bass is loose. Man am I looking at some fun decisions.

Impressions of burn in effects?

By the way, I'm no stranger to some expensive dacs and amps with full-size headphones, for the record. Unfortunately in my experience throwing money at those is just as dangerous. And that's a huge problem whether some like it or not.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #2,243 of 15,170
Honestly @rutter you should just take a trip to SoCal for CanJam or go somewhere where you can try all of this stuff before buying (instead of relying on other people’s impressions).

I’m not being snarky or anything - it’ll save you money in the long run.

Only three things are certain in life... death, taxes, and @rutter being unsatisfied w/ his new IEMs.

Apr 23, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #2,244 of 15,170
Ideally yes. Funny thing is even in those conditions I doubt I'll have the time and options to test properly. I'm going back to high gain on the zx300 and the bass is loose. Man am I looking at some fun decisions.

Impressions of burn in effects?

By the way, I'm no stranger to some expensive dacs and amps with full-size headphones, for the record. Unfortunately in my experience throwing money at those is just as dangerous. And that's a huge problem whether some like it or not.

Uh huh. I highly doubt it.

Apr 23, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #2,245 of 15,170
ZX300 sounds nearly identical to WM1A on balanced, you should not expect much of a SQ upgrade unless you're stuck w/ SE. WM1A does pull ahead a bit on SE.

Did you try this with the Z1R while you had them? On what gain did you listen?

Only three things are certain in life... death, taxes, and @rutter being unsatisfied w/ his new IEMs.

Add expensive headphones and dacs and amps to the list. The thing is I wanted to be satisfied.

Uh huh. I highly doubt it.

Headphones above $1k I've had Audeze LCD-X, Sennheiser HD800S, and Hifiman Edition X v2 at home with the former two being driven by a Gungnir Multibit and an Auralic Taurus MKII. Have listened to LCD 3 and 4 and the Focals at a store with Tidal as the music source. Initially used a McIntosh dac + amp that cost several thousand dollars then just used a Questyle CMA600i. Sorry to burst your little bubble but some people are unimpressed with your hobby.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #2,247 of 15,170
Out of curiosity, those of you satisfied with the I suppose it's called tonal balance of the ier-z1r, what do you do with this bass? What kind of music do you listen to and how are you finding it unobtrusive? Do you get punch and definition out of it too? Rumble? Sources?

Nope did not have the Z1R back then. Just recall ZX300 felt quite close to WM1A performance (w/ Flamenco). But with WM1A + Z1R it was high gain +/- 90 volume.

Jesus, 90 on high gain? I'm at around 90 on low gain, currently in USB dac mode but on high gain I think I'm in the lower 80s. I thought I listened to music loudly.

Apr 23, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #2,248 of 15,170
Did you try this with the Z1R while you had them? On what gain did you listen?

Add expensive headphones and dacs and amps to the list. The thing is I wanted to be satisfied.

Headphones above $1k I've had Audeze LCD-X, Sennheiser HD800S, and Hifiman Edition X v2 at home with the former two being driven by a Gungnir Multibit and an Auralic Taurus MKII. Have listened to LCD 3 and 4 and the Focals at a store with Tidal as the music source. Initially used a McIntosh dac + amp that cost several thousand dollars then just used a Questyle CMA600i. Sorry to burst your little bubble but some people are unimpressed with your hobby.

Sorry not impressed with your gear, but I'm sure you'd impress guys at r/headphones

Apr 23, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #2,249 of 15,170

Jump to 2:40 of this song. The treble is leaving the venue on its way to the parking lot (or is that guitar in the mids?) and the bass is coming from a speaker next to you that is on its last legs. Jesus Christ Almighty why am I not a crazy rich Asian so that this would all be fine.

Considering Third Eye Blind has the following average Dynamic Range figures for their following album/single releases:
- Jumper with DR8
- Third Eye Blind with DR8
- Blue with DR6 (!!!)
- Out of Vein with DR5 (!!!)

I’d say that the Z1R is doing it’s job if you think what you’re hearing is bad. Cleary these guys aren’t getting their albums mastered properly.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #2,250 of 15,170
IMO Z1R has one of the better bass responses for an IEM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back