SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 18, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #2,071 of 15,264
What's your go-to IEM for details and sub-bass right now? I see you put up a lot of IEMs (Solaris, U18t) for sale.

Yeah, put everything for sale due to an upcoming mortgage down payment :frowning2: . A12T is the only thing left so its the go-to iem for now. A12T is very strict, purely analytical and not remotely close to like the fun Sony's can offer

Was trying the IER -Z1R its pretty much sounding like my doomed XBA4. The Z5 from the same generous Z1R owner sounds better with fuller bass and wider sound stage. How long is the typical burn in period for the Z1R?

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #2,072 of 15,264
Yeah, put everything for sale due to an upcoming mortgage down payment :frowning2: . A12T is the only thing left so its the go-to iem for now. A12T is very strict, purely analytical and not remotely close to like the fun Sony's can offer

Was trying the IER -Z1R its pretty much sounding like my doomed XBA4. The Z5 from the same generous Z1R owner sounds better with fuller bass and wider sound stage. How long is the typical burn in period for the Z1R?
And if you liked it then no down payment ?

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #2,073 of 15,264

I don't have the IER-Z1R yet (it's taking a while as has been stated in this thread haha) and regarding burn-in, I'm not much of a practitioner and definitely not an expert on that matter. I haven't heard the XBA-Z5 so no comment on that front either. 12t's are nice I guess, I'm sure you're doing fine with it but yes, the IER-Z1R when I last heard it was the more fun option.

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #2,075 of 15,264
NO, I went through rehabilitation and now I am clean, 'not doing it anymore' :) :) :)

No Z1R or DMP-Z1, Mortgage downpayment it is.
Ooo Audio gear rehab , how long does that help ?

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #2,077 of 15,264
So the $430 Sony iem that isn't even a part of the current generation just "sounds better with fuller bass and wider sound stage" (and it's more detail revealing too)? Is this by any chance your mortgage talking or is it an actual impression? Same source for both?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #2,078 of 15,264
So the $430 Sony iem that isn't even a part of the current generation just "sounds better with fuller bass and wider sound stage"? Is this by any chance your mortgage talking or is it an actual impression? Same source for both?
It happens. Price doesn't reflect performance. I haven't heard the Z5 so I'll leave answering you to the person you're subtweeting. But there are a fair few kilobucks I won't name that I'm not a huge fan of.

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #2,079 of 15,264
So the $430 Sony iem that isn't even a part of the current generation just "sounds better with fuller bass and wider sound stage"? Is this by any chance your mortgage talking or is it an actual impression? Same source for both?
The Z5 was wonderful.

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #2,080 of 15,264
It happens. Price doesn't reflect performance. I haven't heard the Z5 so I'll leave answering you to the person you're subtweeting. But there are a fair few kilobucks I won't name that I'm not a huge fan of.

It would be priceless if it happened within the same company, down at least two price tiers, and back a generation.

The Z5 was wonderful.

Do you still have your jvc 10k?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #2,081 of 15,264

Source = WM1Z on the same dsd and dxd files. No offense to any iem, but this is what I felt, may be I am wrong or the Z1Rs need more burn-in or a different source?

If you personally ask me, I am sort of against this Cirnacle rating thingy that rates IEMs based on $$$. The A12T are rated S+ but they are not the best in any terms. Initially I was not convinced with the Solaris, but now I am pretty sure the Solaris are by far the best IEMs I ever heard along with the EX1000. $$ doesn't always reflect in performance.

PS: Before anyone jumps on their guns beware that my dog knows martial arts and has bad temper

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #2,082 of 15,264
Source = WM1Z on the same dsd and dxd files. No offense to any iem, but this is what I felt, may be I am wrong or the Z1Rs need more burn-in or a different source?

If you personally ask me, I am sort of against this Cirnacle rating thingy that rates IEMs based on $$$. The A12T are rated S+ but they are not the best in any terms. Initially I was not convinced with the Solaris, but now I am pretty sure the Solaris are by far the best IEMs I ever heard along with the EX1000. $$ doesn't always reflect in performance.

PS: Before anyone jumps on their guns beware that my dog knows martial arts and has bad temper
I respect someone who can openly state an IEM they sold is better than the CIEM they kept. That aside, I'm now curious to try Sony's old stuff since I haven't heard the old XBA stuff nor the EX1K which is universally lauded as a classic.

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #2,083 of 15,264
It would be priceless if it happened within the same company, down at least two price tiers, and back a generation.

Do you still have your jvc 10k?
Sold both only because ny headphones are easier to use and sound.

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #2,084 of 15,264

I am positive the honorable Mr. Crinacle would be deeply offended by the grievous accusation that he rates iems based on price. Given the number of matter of fact wise assertions I've seen that price doesn't reflect sound quality I'm starting the get the impression I'm in the minority of this forum who believe price damn better be an indicator of sound quality. Many of you seem to have gotten too wise for the greater good.

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #2,085 of 15,264
I looked at the Z5 when I was researching IEMs...it seems like a basshead IEM a la the Campfire Atlas I used to own and the fit seems absolutely bizarre. That seems to be a common thing with Sony IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back