SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 18, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #1,653 of 15,249
Ok, I redemoed it for the 8th time. Cayin N8 with Arrow amp and Cayin N8 with Mass Kobo amp. The Sony did sound pretty good, Ill say its up there soundwise for a iem. My TH900 sounded better but, ok, its a headphone.

Mar 18, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #1,654 of 15,249
Nozzle diameter of z1r is smaller than Solaris. So if you have narrow ear canals, z1r may fit better/deeper. But it is heavier than Solaris. I don't like formable wire earhooks on CA cables, but with Z1R they could be helpful.

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #1,655 of 15,249
I think Rutter just want more context and comparisons really.

But dude, it's actually pretty simple, just exclude any IEM lower than S rank on his list, then apply the tonal signature he pointed out, now his impressions is its the best one on that front.
That's what I get from briefly reading his impressions and video review.

As for that "worth it" [problem] you seem to be stuck on, just so you know over 1K headphone and IEM? None are worth it. Those stuffs tend to only give the 10-20% improvements that nobody "needs", but some do "wants". Now he can't say whether his "wants" suits yours can't he?

"Don't ever stretch your budget up there" is what he's trying to say metinks..
'stretch' is the word, if you have spare money with no risk of repercussion when used, then, spend as you may.

I can be wrong tho, so just wait for his full written reviews for the details. As you already heard him say.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #1,657 of 15,249
So what is the sound signature of the Z1R then? Supposedly the bass is even better.
Actually, if you can find a Sony store/ any headphone store demo of the Sony XBA N3, and imagine the added 10-20% improvements on top of it?

From what I read it seems to be faithfully following modern Sony House sound,
(which actually extends lo~ng way down their line).

One thing you can be sure now tho, they're not neutral. And can be said a bit "weird".

I'm sorry if I'm being vague and indirect, but I'm not eloquent enough to really explain it by words, let me find someone else that's intimately more familiar with Sony products....

Right, Lachlan did a great Job explaining their house sound, watch from 10:44, listen to what he said and think whether that piqued your interest.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #1,659 of 15,249
I think Rutter just want more context and comparisons really.

But dude, it's actually pretty simple, just exclude any IEM lower than S rank on his list, then apply the tonal signature he pointed out, now his impressions is its the best one on that front.
That's what I get from briefly reading his impressions and video review.

And as anyone said, over 1K headphone and IEM? None are worth it. Those stuffs tend to only give the 10-20% improvements that nobody "needs", but some do "wants". Now he can't say whether his "wants" suits yours can't he?

"Don't ever stretch your budget up there" is what he's trying to say metinks..

I can be wrong tho, so just wait for his full written reviews for the details. As you already heard him say.

So what is the sound signature of the Z1R then? Supposedly the bass is even better.

Right. Just like stated, it’s the Sony sound. The IER-Z1R sounds like the full-size Z1R or the Z5 IEM. Lachlan is the perfect video to watch as he has a way with words to perfectly describe the Modern Sony House Sound. For most people the extra 10-20% is a waist of money, unless you really appreciate the small margin of “extra” you get for the extra $1200 your giving out. If your focused on that margin than there is no monetary value too high; it’s priceless. You can’t put a price on some small qualities of life. But with the Sony it’s an end in a way. A way to stop purchasing, to stop looking for more, so that makes it a value.

The main thing to realize too is that it’s a maturity of the Sony sound, it’s house tuning brought closer to perfection. It’s a more “do-all” Sony sound.

Also the IER-Z1R is very transparent, so it’s most likely going get personality from what is in-front. I spend time listing to it from three sources, the TA, the 1Z and the 1A. If I want more flat sound, and faster bass, I use the 1A. If I want a dark sound, the TA. If I want a more intense detailed treble the 1Z.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #1,660 of 15,249
Is the 1Z generally considered V-shaped? I can't tell really.

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #1,661 of 15,249
Mar 18, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #1,662 of 15,249
Mar 18, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #1,663 of 15,249
Is it normal that when it comes to IEMs people talk using a code rather than writing things which people can understand? I am sorry, but from the ladt 20 posts I don't get much useable information, only noise and the pictures don't help either.

The IER-Z1R makes me feel like

giphy.gif

Mar 18, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #1,665 of 15,249
It’s a slight v or u shape signature.

I didnt hear that.

Neither do I. There's certainly something artificial going on in 1Z's midrange I'll give you that. It pushes the near instruments closer to the front and the distant instruments further to the back, in an artificial yet additive way. I can hear it with speakers too. Never heard anything like it even on the absolute highest end desktop amps and dacs. So it's incorrect, but sounds really good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back