SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 16, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #1,591 of 15,247
Mar 16, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #1,593 of 15,247
The Solaris sounds a bit muddier to me. My main headphones are Stax SR007A which are among the clearest/most transparent sounding headphones there are, so I'm pretty sensitive to "lack of air".
So you saying you have something that sounds much better but sometimes you enjoy slumming it with iems ? Obvious you didnt mention any Sony headphone as an example.

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #1,594 of 15,247
...lol, what is a tweeter in audiophile jargon?
He means balanced armature drivers but he's being cheeky by calling them "tweeters". As if that's a bad thing. My IER-M9 has 5 BAs and it's the greatest sound I've ever heard in a headphone, IEM or whatever.

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #1,595 of 15,247
He means balanced armature drivers but he's being cheeky by calling them "tweeters". As if that's a bad thing. My IER-M9 has 5 BAs and it's the greatest sound I've ever heard in a headphone, IEM or whatever.
FB_IMG_1545389254744.jpg

Mar 16, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #1,596 of 15,247
I’ve listened to both Solaris & Z1R, going to get the Z1R. The price of Solaris & Z1R almost the same in SEA. Don’t get me wrong, Solaris is good, very good. I’m just not excited about the variances of Solaris tuning. Actually, the 64Audio N8 is better than both Z1R & Solaris, too bad it doesn’t come in universal iem form.

Mar 16, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #1,597 of 15,247
So you saying you have something that sounds much better but sometimes you enjoy slumming it with iems ? Obvious you didnt mention any Sony headphone as an example.

Headphones mess up my hair and I can't wear them at work. I wouldn't call IEMs "slumming it". There's a few that rival the best dynamic headphones out there like the Sony IER-Z1R and Jomo Trinity.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #1,598 of 15,247
Headphones mess up my hair and I can't wear them at work. I wouldn't call IEMs "slumming it". There's a few that rival the best dynamic headphones out there like the Sony IER-Z1R and Jomo Trinity.
Ooo, ook.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #1,599 of 15,247
And the one guy who is supposed to be doing this more seriously has multiple personality disorder. Now that's a first, Plural Entity Headphone/IEM Reviewer Man. I don't think the few people who upvoted his excuse watched the video versus some of the stuff he has written. Nothing to do with stuff you like not being immune to criticism and how you're above the problems seen on Head-Fi, bud. I watch other youtube videos for stand-up comedy. Do your routines on top of consistent content and then you might be useful to people who actually care with money on the line.

Dude, the video was basically 100% consistent with his written review:
  • Great bass
  • Somewhat lean mids that aren't terribly horrible. Best with female vocals, noticeable leanness with dry male vocals.
  • Fit dependent treble that's dependent on how deep you can insert them, which might be difficult for people with smaller ears or can't deal with the weight. Smooth treble if you can get a good fit, more uneven treble if you cannot. Stuff like this is Portable Audio 101.
These impressions actually have been super consistent throughout this thread, and I suspect more than a few people in giving impressions aren't getting a good seal, so I really dunno how people are getting confused. Apparently any product negative is enough to to have people on these forums think impressions are super polarising.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #1,600 of 15,247
I don't know what is needed to blow your mind tbh. Better spend that money on a hooker than buy the Z1R imo. :smirk:
There are hardly any financial returns for audio equipment. if I were in the EU, I would go buy a nice Rolex hulk instead. Guaranteed returns on investment.

That's why I prefer parting my money on watches rather than going over the top with audio.

I think a Rolex Hulk would look quite strange on your dainty Asian wrists. :wink:

Mar 17, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #1,601 of 15,247
I don't understand why someone would wear a watch when they have the time/date on their cellphone unless it's just for looks. Then if it's just for looks, a bracelet would make more sense.

Mar 17, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #1,603 of 15,247
Different strokes. If you have to be in a suit and tie for work everyday, a watch will complete it.
If you came from an era when smartphones didn't exist yet, a watch is what you would rely on.
A watch will also last longer than anything you keep around you, and because of that a sentimental value is attached to it.
Last but not least, a good watch will retain it's value or even increase in value despite being worn for years.

I don't understand why someone would wear a watch when they have the time/date on their cellphone unless it's just for looks. Then if it's just for looks, a bracelet would make more sense.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #1,605 of 15,247
I wish it was, unfortunately it was borderline muddy sounding. Not a good thing.
Agree, I didnt think the Solaris was super clear, but niether is the Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back