Sony IER-Z1R cable defect thread

Has your MMCX metal shroud/sleeve become dislodged?

• Yes (please indicate your serial number. X out the last digit or two if you'd like)

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • No (please indicate your serial number. X out the last digit or two if you'd like)

Votes: 19 63.3%

• Total voters
May 10, 2021 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

torifile

500+ Head-Fier
I don't want to clutter the main thread any more than I already have and feel as though this issue deserves its own thread anyway. I've read reports of at least 4 users who have had the same issue with the 3.5 mm cable, specifically the left one, losing the metal shroud/sleeve around the MMCX connector and getting lodged in the earpiece itself. I'm hoping that we can get a good sampling here so we can know how widespread the issue is, at least among Head-Fi users.

See the attached photos for more.

The serial number on this particular IEM is 1011x. The others that I know of are very close to that number.

tempImageoSdZuJ.jpgtempImagedwoEp7.png

May 10, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 46
I will note that the word "defect" was used intentionally. That was Moon Audio's determination of the problem. They called it a clear manufacturing defect when they saw the photos. And given that there are reports of others with identical issues (down to the same cable and side), it seems to be a systemic one. Small, to be sure, but for a $1700+ IEM...

@drlorks (#10121), @wgallon (#10106) and this case #1011x. @raelamb also has this problem.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 46
Been following the main thread on this, and have decided to leave the stock 4.4mm cable attached to mine until I find something I want to replace it with. Could be months, could be years :wink:

FWIW I've not had any issues so far, bought mine this past Feb, I'm serial #1035x

May 10, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 46
Been following the main thread on this, and have decided to leave the stock 4.4mm cable attached to mine until I find something I want to replace it with. Could be months, could be years :wink:

FWIW I've not had any issues so far, bought mine this past Feb, I'm serial #1035x
Good call. My guess is that the problem is restricted to the serial numbers around the early 101xx range.

May 10, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #9 of 46
Mine is in good health, no problem whatsoever with the cable. See my sig - dare say it's the best stock cable I have ever got my hands on. Mine is 1049X so it's probably from a later batch than the reported problematic ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back