Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Sep 26, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #2,176 of 3,155
Yea! I'm always impressed when I put this setup to my ear. For me it's definitely an endgame.
But I wonder if the M9 would have better performance with some sony DAP, like the zx507 for example

Oh yes the M9 sounds heavenly with the Sony NW WM1ZM2 DAP. Soundstage is really holographic, with excellent layering and instrument separation. Buttery smooth and organic and natural sounding, yet mixing showcasing the good technicalities that the M9 is capable of. Literal eargasm.

Unfortunately, the WM1ZM2 is almost 4K USD (I auditioned it for 30 min at the shop but couldn't afford it). The Questlye M15 is multiples cheaper, but as per usual in this hobby, diminishing returns hit hard the deeper you go down the rabbithole.

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #2,177 of 3,155
Yea! I'm always impressed when I put this setup to my ear. For me it's definitely an endgame.
But I wonder if the M9 would have better performance with some sony DAP, like the zx507 for example
Can't speak to Sony DAPs myself, but to add to what @baskingshark said about the WM1Z, there is a non-standard firmware for the much cheaper WM1A which is supposed to make the 1A sound close(r) to the 1Z.

I find the IER-M9 to be very capable of showing the difference between sources, and I love to use it with my Chord Hugo2Go DAC/Amp/Streamer. Compared to the already very good Mojo 2 the Hugo 2 adds detail and layering, delivers more extended, defined and textured bass, and there is a sense of space that seems to come from actually hearing the reflections within the room. The IER-M9 is very good at showing these differences. For the price (I paid) I think they are outstanding! I have been looking for a long time for a better IEM, and finally I think I found one, but at >€2000 I can't afford it! LOL

By the way - how do you judge the influence of the cable on the SQ of the IER-M9?

Sep 26, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #2,178 of 3,155
Não consigo falar com os DAPs da Sony, mas para adicionar ao que @baskingshark disse sobre o WM1Z, existe um firmware não padrão para o WM1A muito mais barato que deve fazer o som de 1A próximo(r) do 1Z.

Acho o IER-M9 muito capaz de mostrar a diferença entre as fontes, e adoro usá-lo com meu Chord Hugo2Go DAC/Amp/Streamer. Comparado com o já muito bom Mojo 2, o Hugo 2 adiciona detalhes e camadas, oferece graves mais estendidos, definidos e texturizados, e há uma sensação de espaço que parece vir de realmente ouvir os reflexos dentro da sala. O IER-M9 é muito bom em mostrar essas diferenças. Pelo preço (que paguei) acho que são excelentes! Há muito tempo que procuro um IEM melhor, e finalmente acho que encontrei um, mas por >€2000 não posso pagar! LOL

A propósito - como você avalia a influência do cabo no SQ do IER-M9?
I feel that the frequencies
mid highs were slightly softer in relation to the stock cable, putting an end to any annoyance in this range. strangely enhancing the details and spatiality. in addition to an enhancement in the mid and bass frequencies. The sound stage has also been increased a little. I'm very satisfied with the sound.

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #2,179 of 3,155
Not better, slightly different type of presentation. Sony DAPs will give a fuller, lush sound. Different from the crystalline, full bodied yet razor sharp notes of the M15. Chill vs. Reference. However top end sony duo (wm1a/1am2 and 1z/1zm2) are different beasts altogether. Great sound with AK SP2000T as well.

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #2,180 of 3,155
Not better, slightly different type of presentation. Sony DAPs will give a fuller, lush sound. Different from the crystalline, full bodied yet razor sharp notes of the M15. Chill vs. Reference. However top end sony duo (wm1a/1am2 and 1z/1zm2) are different beasts altogether. Great sound with AK SP2000T as well.
Thanks for the answers! I'm looking to buy the Sony NW ZX507 dap. Would it be a good match for the IER M9? My main use would be for streaming (Tidal Master).

Sep 27, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #2,181 of 3,155
> The Z1R Cable and the IER-M9 cable are identical. They are both the exact same silver-plated OFC cable.

This is exactly why I avoid the hype around expensive "upgrade" cables. When people say that the Z1R cable sounds so much better than the M9 cable when in reality they are the same :joy:

Placebo is a dangerous thing.
There's a nuance between using the same materials and "Being exactly the same".

Z1R cable has twice the windings, and is literally physically different to that of the M9 due to this. It's twice as thick with more wire content.

And it absolutely sounds different than the stock M9 cable, it's immediately apparent and I say this as someone who doesn't really care to upgrade cables. I just happen to own both iem's and experiment, and the Z1R cable sounds less choked up than the M9, and this effect is imposed consistently on different iem's.

Skepticism is okay, but please don't make blanket claims if you have not tried for yourself- it's a disservice to everyone :)

Confirmation bias is a dangerous thing too.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 27, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #2,183 of 3,155
The ZX 507 ain't really a streaming device, since wireless lan is draining the battery fast.
My biggest concern is the sound quality. The battery problem can be easily solved with a power bank, right?

Sep 27, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #2,184 of 3,155
There's a nuance between using the same materials and "Being exactly the same".

Z1R cable has twice the windings, and is literally physically different to that of the M9 due to this. It's twice as thick with more wire content.

And it absolutely sounds different than the stock M9 cable, it's immediately apparent and I say this as someone who doesn't really care to upgrade cables. I just happen to own both iem's and experiment, and the Z1R cable sounds less choked up than the M9, and this effect is imposed consistently on different iem's.

Skepticism is okay, but please don't make blanket claims if you have not tried for yourself- it's a disservice to everyone :)

Confirmation bias is a dangerous thing too.
An almost $1000+ TOTL iem sounds choked up with it's expensive stock cable.... Yeah ok.

I'll rather refer to the years of people saying that differences between cables of this magnitude are negligible. It's not like we're comparing a dollar store cable to kimbre cables for Pete's sake 🤦

Sep 27, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #2,185 of 3,155
An almost $1000+ TOTL iem sounds choked up with it's expensive stock cable.... Yeah ok.

I'll rather refer to the years of people saying that differences between cables of this magnitude are negligible. It's not like we're comparing a dollar store cable to kimbre cables for Pete's sake 🤦
Again, you're entitled to your opinion but don't preach as gospel. There's nothing like trying for yourself, and I am of the same opinion of cables being negligible.

Especially artisan/ boutique-made cables.

But there truly is a tangible difference here (the main example that makes it "obvious" is with shimmery hi-hat play. M9 cable smothers it whereas Z1R cable renders the primary note with easy and clarity, though it is a bit etched out.

I'm not condoning anyone to go out and buy one for 3% SQ change, nor am I of the opinion anyone should spend over $200 on a cable - but I need to reiterate a proven fact - any physical changes to a component directly linked to sound processing will lead to an audible difference - for better or worse.

Another example of this is with the Raal SR1a, where cable changes are so drastic it sounds like a software sound filter is being used. Of course, this is one of the highest revealing transducers in headphones.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Sep 27, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #2,186 of 3,155
The only reason to change the stock cable is if/when it's starts to fall apart, which happened to quite some people, and often the first sign is that it becomes sticky and clammy.

But if your cable looks, feels and works fine, but money is burning your pocket and you wonder if you should go for this last x% of sound improvement that upgrade cable supposedly gives you - just don't, it's a bunch of audiophile BS and a waste of your money.

Sep 27, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #2,187 of 3,155
Well guys, I'm out.

It's unfortunate because IER-M9 is one of those incredible iem's that is a bargain against the current market TOTL's and can scale immensely with a cable change.

I really wish some took the time to experiment, it's for your own good lol. IER-M9's stock cable is partially to blame for its well-reported bloomy, rich tone. A cable swap can help it present its monitor qualities further.

Sep 27, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #2,188 of 3,155
We're all here to celebrate the wonderful world of audio and share our experiences, some that align with other's, some vastly different.
There are many topics up for debate and I've been around HeadFi a few years to have seen many conflicts regarding cables, mostly from people who don't perceive a difference or flat out don't believe it is possible that lace their posts with insults and recite the typical anti-cable talk.
May I put forward the possibility that if you don't believe or hear a difference to just simply say 'I haven't experienced any differences', 'I dont believe it' or 'if there are any differences I wouldn't choose to spend my money on such a diminishing return' or to the likes of that, it would help keep the peace.
Thanks

* I'm sure there are people on those cheap bang for buck iem threads that have demoed the M9 and insist that there are no differences to their $20 iem or is tuned better and that M9 owners are wasting their money on big brand company high priced iem scams 😄

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #2,190 of 3,155
this combo is fine for your purpose. i used this as my primary combo for a long while previously.

Thanks for your response! Are there any specific settings to get the best out of the M9 on the zx507?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back