Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
May 13, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #1,877 of 3,139
Just want to share....

The stock hybrid silicon LL tips gave me the best fit overall. But I find it pretty tedious to get the best seal and comfortability esp the compressed air pressure. I always have to put in, adjust and test the seal, then adjust again to push slightly deeper. But the deeper it goes, the more pressure buildup and often the pressure pushes the tips out slightly requiring more adjustments.

As recommended by others, I bought the EPNI1000 tips in both L and M sizes. While they are comfortable, i find achieving a good seal even more tedious (as expected from foams) as it requires adjustments with both hands. I'm always on the go so ideally easy to put on with one hand is important to me. I decided to go back to the stock hybrids and go for a more shallow seal so as to avoid the pressure buildup.

Even though i really love the sound from the M9, I was thinking of selling it to get a CIEM. The A12T i think has the closest tuning to M9?

Anyway, thinking about A12T and the pressure release module, i decided to try poking some holes into the silicon tips. I used a sewing needle and poked 2 holes into the tips where it faces into the ears (flip the tip a little and from below where the green stem meets the black silicon just poke through). After poking through, i can't find the holes at all as the silicon will "heal". But anyway, tried it on and surprisely the air pressure feeling is gone. I can even insert the iem deeper if desired.

If you don't mind poking your tips, can give it a try.

May 13, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #1,878 of 3,139
Just want to share....

The stock hybrid silicon LL tips gave me the best fit overall. But I find it pretty tedious to get the best seal and comfortability esp the compressed air pressure. I always have to put in, adjust and test the seal, then adjust again to push slightly deeper. But the deeper it goes, the more pressure buildup and often the pressure pushes the tips out slightly requiring more adjustments.

As recommended by others, I bought the EPNI1000 tips in both L and M sizes. While they are comfortable, i find achieving a good seal even more tedious (as expected from foams) as it requires adjustments with both hands. I'm always on the go so ideally easy to put on with one hand is important to me. I decided to go back to the stock hybrids and go for a more shallow seal so as to avoid the pressure buildup.

Even though i really love the sound from the M9, I was thinking of selling it to get a CIEM. The A12T i think has the closest tuning to M9?

Anyway, thinking about A12T and the pressure release module, i decided to try poking some holes into the silicon tips. I used a sewing needle and poked 2 holes into the tips where it faces into the ears (flip the tip a little and from below where the green stem meets the black silicon just poke through). After poking through, i can't find the holes at all as the silicon will "heal". But anyway, tried it on and surprisely the air pressure feeling is gone. I can even insert the iem deeper if desired.

or you can check out tanchjim ear tips

May 13, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #1,879 of 3,139
Just want to share....

Why not just get a orthoplastic (are they called like that?)

It cost like 100€ or so and this will turn your IER-M9 into an CIEM.

This is by the way the recommendation from Sony, the engineers themselves used that when tuning and developing it.

Alternatively you could just test some cheap standard memory foam. Those are generally very large and thick like earplugs.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #1,880 of 3,139
It is called Otoplastic, it's basically an CIEM earpiece
Screenshot_20220513-223156.png

May 13, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #1,881 of 3,139
Has anyone tried using the ier-m9s with the utws5 bluetooth ear hooks & if so what are your thoughts.
Very nice pair up. Comfortable fit. The mmcx connection is solid. You need to have a firm grip on both the M9 and UTWS5 when you want to separate them. Don't twist, firm grip and pull apart. I'm used to listening to music with cabled M9 to a Sony DAP, so I found the treble from the UTWS5 was a little shrill for my liking. I didn't make any EQ adjustments, but depending on your sound preference you may need to EQ with the FiiO control app.

May 13, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #1,882 of 3,139
Very nice pair up. Comfortable fit. The mmcx connection is solid. You need to have a firm grip on both the M9 and UTWS5 when you want to separate them. Don't twist, firm grip and pull apart. I'm used to listening to music with cabled M9 to a Sony DAP, so I found the treble from the UTWS5 was a little shrill for my liking. I didn't make any EQ adjustments, but depending on your sound preference you may need to EQ with the FiiO control app.
Thanks for that information I may just keep the m9s with cable then & use the ie300 for the utws5. The trouble with using the m9 is i would hate to end up buggering the connections going back & fourth between cable & utws5. Maybe I will get the sony m7 for the utws5 as it has less in the treble.

May 13, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #1,883 of 3,139
Thanks for that information I may just keep the m9s with cable then & use the ie300 for the utws5. The trouble with using the m9 is i would hate to end up buggering the connections going back & fourth between cable & utws5. Maybe I will get the sony m7 for the utws5 as it has less in the treble.
I would recommend to use an Bluetooth Receiver, higher sound quality, higher flexibility, higher comfort and so on

May 13, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #1,885 of 3,139
I have a Qudelix 5k in the post as well as the utws5 so I could use either. This hobby is addictive & expensive. Lol
I use my Walkman as Bluetooth Receiver, it's the core of my Audio System. All my music is in there. I use it to connect it to my Amp and so on.

So I use this to sent and receiver music, wired or wireless

May 13, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #1,886 of 3,139
I use my Walkman as Bluetooth Receiver, it's the core of my Audio System. All my music is in there. I use it to connect it to my Amp and so on.

So I use this to sent and receiver music, wired or wireless
I use my astell&kern sp1000m to send the bluetooth signal to my bluetooth Shure846s & for my wired phones but plan on using my galaxy note9 for on the move with bluetooth.

May 15, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #1,887 of 3,139
I was looking at some graphs for the M9 and noticed that crinacle's graph is a bit different than Headphones .com graph, as well as from one from banbeu .com. Does any one know why that is? Which one is most accurate then? I'm still pretty new to graphs so maybe I just don't understand something here.

Attachments

• m9 graphsss.jpg
    m9 graphsss.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 0
May 15, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #1,888 of 3,139
I was looking at some graphs for the M9 and noticed that crinacle's graph is a bit different than Headphones .com graph, as well as from one from banbeu .com. Does any one know why that is? Which one is most accurate then? I'm still pretty new to graphs so maybe I just don't understand something here.

Crinacle's graph is compensated.

Anyways, one should not compare graphs across different users that are using different rigs and different eartips/seals/insertion depths.
Graphs are most useful if compared from the same measurer who is consistent.

May 16, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #1,890 of 3,139
Thanks for the advice. I have the EP-NI1000 Small and Large on order, will get back to you once they arrive.
Update: I was able to test the EP-NI1000, and though the seal was great on the Large, the 11K treble spike remained. I've had the best luck with the Foam Tips that came free with my CCA CRA+ (This looks to be the same: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32977238966.html )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back