Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Apr 21, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #1,846 of 3,155
The peak in this measurement is due to the measurement instruments. I just checked my IER-M9 and there is no peak at 11k. It goes pretty much straight/flat/linear from 5k to 17k

Even Crinacles Setup (which does have a lot of peaks and dips that aren't really there) doesn't show the peak. It only shows the typical 10k dip (which make 11k look like a peak, but if you look at 8k, you see its flat in reality)

If you really hear an peak, that might be related to something else and is just an coincidence with the measurement you found. I had treble peaks back when i used silicone tips, but i no longer have any of them since i switched to foam (neither with the Sony ones, nor with 3rd party)
Thanks for the advice. I have the EP-NI1000 Small and Large on order, will get back to you once they arrive.

Apr 22, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #1,848 of 3,155
Couldn't help myself... had to drop this here. :relaxed:

Shanling M3X - Little Bear B4-X - Sony IER-M9.jpg

Apr 24, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #1,849 of 3,155
Not sure if this will help anyone but I've found that Azla Sednaearfit Lights seal well and don't have vacuum effect whatsoever - almost as easy to fit as the 64 Audio IEMs with the Apex/Atom Modules!

Seems to open up the sound a bit as well.

And the best part? They're easily obtained outside of Asia!

Easily my favorite tips with the M9 now! This might be enough to make the M9 my endgame!

Apr 24, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #1,851 of 3,155
I am looking for the best complimentary and all rounder dac for the ier m9 and any other future iems, any suggestions or advice will be very helpful.

250$ dacs

w2 131
lotoo paw s2
cayin ru 6

150$-200$ dacs

ifi go blu
ifi hip dac 2
XDUOO LINK 2 BAL

any suggestions or input ?

Also, is there any way to premept the size of the sony epni 1000 tips i can order, without having the ier m9 on hand. I do have a pair of samsung galaxy buds + , but i dont know what size tips i am using.

As for the dacs this link has been bit helpful https://andyaudiovault.com/donglemadness/

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #1,852 of 3,155
I am looking for the best complimentary and all rounder dac for the ier m9 and any other future iems, any suggestions or advice will be very helpful.

250$ dacs

w2 131
lotoo paw s2
cayin ru 6

150$-200$ dacs

ifi go blu
ifi hip dac 2
XDUOO LINK 2 BAL

any suggestions or input ?

Also, is there any way to premept the size of the sony epni 1000 tips i can order, without having the ier m9 on hand. I do have a pair of samsung galaxy buds + , but i dont know what size tips i am using.

As for the dacs this link has been bit helpful https://andyaudiovault.com/donglemadness/
Questyle M12 or the new M15. Incredible synergy. Avoid anything ifi. Sounds pretty disappointing on both idsd signature and hip dac (muddled, cramped and low res for some reason). Tried with paw s1, pretty good. Link 2 bal should be great as well given m9 sounds brilliant on xd05 plus.

May 2, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #1,854 of 3,155
Hi wanna ask everyone’s opinions about dap. I wanna find one to pair with my m9 and I’m gonna use them daily. Any recommendations?
Ps:my budget is around 1000 and I can also consider second hand

May 2, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #1,855 of 3,155
Hi wanna ask everyone’s opinions about dap. I wanna find one to pair with my m9 and I’m gonna use them daily. Any recommendations?
Ps:my budget is around 1000 and I can also consider second hand
I'm personally liking the Chord Hugo2 and getting a Mojo 2 now for better portability, but the consensus about DAPs seems to be that the SONY NW-WMA1 and NW-WMZ1 are pairing extremely well with the IER-M9. NW-WMA1 should be at or close to your budget, and there's an unofficial Firmware for it thats supposed to make it sound like the NW-WMZ1.

May 2, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #1,856 of 3,155
I'm personally liking the Chord Hugo2 and getting a Mojo 2 now for better portability, but the consensus about DAPs seems to be that the SONY NW-WMA1 and NW-WMZ1 are pairing extremely well with the IER-M9. NW-WMA1 should be at or close to your budget, and there's an unofficial Firmware for it thats supposed to make it sound like the NW-WMZ1.
Yea I understand that this is pretty much the universal opinion but I would like to use streaming also. Do you think that it is worth it enough to choose Wm1a over the streaming?
I have my collection of songs but I have at least 40% of them only on streaming platforms.

May 2, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #1,857 of 3,155
Yea I understand that this is pretty much the universal opinion but I would like to use streaming also. Do you think that it is worth it enough to choose Wm1a over the streaming?
I have my collection of songs but I have at least 40% of them only on streaming platforms.
I thought the ZX507 pairs quite well with M9.

May 2, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #1,858 of 3,155
Apologies - I was not aware of the WM1A not supporting streaming!
The newer Mark 2 does support streaming but it's obviously above your budget limit...

I am in a similar situation. At home and at the office I use streaming, and on the go or while travelling I use my music collection.
For that my solution is a Chord Mojo (will get the Mojo 2 this week), stacked with a HiBy R3 DAP. This is maybe not as convenient as a DAP, but SQ is excellent and I can use the superior Tidal UI on the phone or computer. I once bought a used Sony DAP just to find out that it was really slow and had to be hacked to install an old Tidal version, because of the old Android OS...

This is my stack (3 D printed case and box):
IMG_3500_thumb.PNG

11212138_thumb.jpgIMG_8065.JPG

May 3, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #1,860 of 3,155
I have bought brandnew IER-M9 and i wonder, what's the best tip for this iem.
The most popular tips for these seem to be:
JVC Spiral Dot ++
Final Audio Type E
Sony EP-NI1000 Foam
(Moondrop Spring - I also liked them but there are few opinions about them)

I tried all of them and for my ears the EP-NI1000 came out on top

Users who are viewing this thread

Back