Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Apr 15, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #1,817 of 3,139
Will definitely be tip rolling. I don't have Final tips though - only Xelastec, Spinfits, Spring, KBEar07, and some other random stock tips I've collected over the years.

Really looking forward to trying these out the M9!

I love my U12T but if the M9 can provide 90-95% of the enjoyment I get out of these for a fraction of the price, then color me impressed. Only thing I don't like about U12T is price 😂

Apr 15, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #1,818 of 3,139
Will definitely be tip rolling. I don't have Final tips though - only Xelastec, Spinfits, Spring, KBEar07, and some other random stock tips I've collected over the years.

Really looking forward to trying these out the M9!

I love my U12T but if the M9 can provide 90-95% of the enjoyment I get out of these for a fraction of the price, then color me impressed. Only thing I don't like about U12T is price 😂
Looking forward to hearing your impressions. I'm quite curious how the U12T sounds myself, and wonder if the price is worth the upgrade(not that I'll be doing that lol). I do hope you'll enjoy the M9's!

It's been said many times now, by several people, but I'll just say it again...highly recommend the EP-NI1000 tips.

Apr 16, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #1,819 of 3,139
@drewbadour
I am also really looking forward to your impressions and comparison to the U12T! I love the M9 but have been eying the U12T for a while.
Regarding tips, like @ChildOfDust I also ended up with the EP-NI1000 after trying lots of tips and spending quite some money on them.
If you like the M9 there is additional potential for improvement with cable upgrades. But the stock cable is good already!
Cheers!

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #1,822 of 3,139
Where are EP-NI1000 tips even available? Looks like they're hard to find in the US?
I purchased mine from accessoryjack, they are pretty expensive and took about 3 weeks to get here but of all the tips I've tried they are easily my faves.

Apr 16, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #1,823 of 3,139
You can't straight compare U12t and M9, the recent U12t comes with 3 different apex modules that affect the sound.
If you compare both by price tag and sounding maybe the Sony is winning closely, on the other hand the M9 is more exhausting - as he requires more power/is harder to drive and maybe also more affected by tip rolling than the U12t.

When the U12t hit the personal sweat spot then he shines with excellent dynamics, detail retrivel and bass rendering, if not then he's still a fine IEM but somehow boring presentation. With the installed M15 apex module the U12t has an overall more airy presentation then the Sony.

The M9 is lacking some of the dynamics until you pair him with a Sony Walkman and there you go, maybe still a slightly advantage for the U12t as I prefer his more airy presentation - right now I only have the ZX507 to pair with the M9.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #1,824 of 3,139
I purchased mine from accessoryjack, they are pretty expensive and took about 3 weeks to get here but of all the tips I've tried they are easily my faves.
Which size EP-NI1000 do you guys use? Are the L's comparable to the Large EX-11 silicon tips from the box?

I'm currently trying it out with my trusty Comply's and so far it's pretty decent.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #1,825 of 3,139
You can't straight compare U12t and M9, the recent U12t comes with 3 different apex modules that affect the sound.
If you compare both by price tag and sounding maybe the Sony is winning closely, on the other hand the M9 is more exhausting - as he requires more power/is harder to drive and maybe also more affected by tip rolling than the U12t.

When the U12t hit the personal sweat spot then he shines with excellent dynamics, detail retrivel and bass rendering, if not then he's still a fine IEM but somehow boring presentation. With the installed M15 apex module the U12t has an overall more airy presentation then the Sony.

The M9 is lacking some of the dynamics until you pair him with a Sony Walkman and there you go, maybe still a slightly advantage for the U12t as I prefer his more airy presentation - right now I only have the ZX507 to pair with the M9.
Why walkman though? What does that do for the m9?

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #1,826 of 3,139
Which size EP-NI1000 do you guys use? Are the L's comparable to the Large EX-11 silicon tips from the box?

I'm currently trying it out with my trusty Comply's and so far it's pretty decent.

I use size L for the EP-NI1000 tips. Tbh I've had a lot of fit issues with the M9's. I am unable to use any of the stock tips. I can sometimes get a seal with the hybrid LL(I can't use any of the triple comfort, they are way too small), but often the left ear comes loose if I move much.

The only tips I've been able to use are the EP-NI1000 and a few foam tips in size L. My issue seems to be that the nozzle on the M9 is rather short. I actually had to extend it a bit to even be able to use the EP-NI1000's. It's been a struggle and if I didn't enjoy the M9 sound so much I might have returned them due to the fit issues. I don't think most people have had as much trouble with fit from what I read.

I have been looking at Comply's a fair bit but I'm not sure which ones will fit. Comply makes it hard to understand with their T-X00 sizing. I was looking at the professional series ones as they look much longer, but it also seems the nozzle opening is probably too small.

Adding a few pics of my EP-NI1000 size L next to the LL and L stock hybrid silicone tips; maybe will help you judge how they compare in size.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 0
Apr 17, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #1,827 of 3,139
I use size L for the EP-NI1000 tips. Tbh I've had a lot of fit issues with the M9's. I am unable to use any of the stock tips. I can sometimes get a seal with the hybrid LL(I can't use any of the triple comfort, they are way too small), but often the left ear comes loose if I move much.

The only tips I've been able to use are the EP-NI1000 and a few foam tips in size L. My issue seems to be that the nozzle on the M9 is rather short. I actually had to extend it a bit to even be able to use the EP-NI1000's. It's been a struggle and if I didn't enjoy the M9 sound so much I might have returned them due to the fit issues. I don't think most people have had as much trouble with fit from what I read.

I have been looking at Comply's a fair bit but I'm not sure which ones will fit. Comply makes it hard to understand with their T-X00 sizing. I was looking at the professional series ones as they look much longer, but it also seems the nozzle opening is probably too small.

Adding a few pics of my EP-NI1000 size L next to the LL and L stock hybrid silicone tips; maybe will help you judge how they compare in size.
My experience with the stock tips is exactly the same. Thank you for the pics and advice. I shall try out the EP-NI1000 in L-size.

BTW my Comply's are T-200 and it says it fits Sony on the packaging.

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #1,828 of 3,139
Speaking of eartips, what's the consensus on eartips that don't create a vacuum seal? I can use them fine with the included triple comfort tips, but if there is something that will let me shove 'em in even deeper without ruining the sound would be great.

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #1,829 of 3,139
Anyone have the chance to compare these with the U12T and can answer a couple questions?:
- I have the U12T and while it's nothing short of amazing, I would love a touch more warmth - how much "warmer" is the M9?
- How is the fit on the M9?
- How far off are they in all honesty... in other words is U12T worth the 1k price difference over the M9?
Fit on the m9 is crazy good, that being said the nozzle almost isn't long enough for me to be able to get a good seal on it. (reason I'll be selling mine shortly)

Besides that they're pretty much a dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back