Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Mar 14, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #1,756 of 3,155
These IEM's are just fantastic. The tip rolling took me forever to find the right tip for comfort/sound but once I found my tips, hot damn!

Mar 14, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #1,757 of 3,155
These IEM's are just fantastic. The tip rolling took me forever to find the right tip for comfort/sound but once I found my tips, hot damn!
Yeah, too sad its so cumbersome to get them "working". And Sony is not a big help either, if you ask them for support, all they say is "Try several tips and jiggle when inserting them".
They don't even recommend their own Foam Tips, they just don't care.
But i have the feeling that Sony doesn't really care about the IER-M9 at all. I think they don't think that there is a big market for them because its a professional work tool, why should non professionals be interested in them...

Sometimes Sonys Marketing decisions are really questionable

Mar 15, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #1,758 of 3,155
Is the M9 easy to drive like other BA sets? Can it be driven to its full potential with a WM1A dap?

Mar 15, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #1,759 of 3,155
Is the M9 easy to drive like other BA sets? Can it be driven to its full potential with a WM1A dap?
Yes and no.

They are easy to drive, i tested them once with my Xperia 1 II and absolutely no issue.

What exactly do you mean with full potential? The better the Source, the better the Output.

The WM1A is not as good as the TA-ZH1ES, so if you listen with the IER-M9 to both, the TA-ZH1ES will sound better than the WM1A.

So the better the source, the better the IER-M9. But in terms of DAPs, Portable Devices that find in your hands, the WM1 Series is the best choice for the IER-M9.

So if you want to listen to the IER-M9 with an portable device that finds in your hand/pocket, an WM1 Walkman is the best you can get.

Obviously, a giant 4,4kg brick full of big capacitors and an Hybrid Amp will beat that combo, but thats a different story.

Mar 15, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #1,760 of 3,155
Yeah, too sad its so cumbersome to get them "working". And Sony is not a big help either, if you ask them for support, all they say is "Try several tips and jiggle when inserting them".
They don't even recommend their own Foam Tips, they just don't care.
But i have the feeling that Sony doesn't really care about the IER-M9 at all. I think they don't think that there is a big market for them because its a professional work tool, why should non professionals be interested in them...

Sometimes Sonys Marketing decisions are really questionable
I gave up tip rolling after trying out 3-4 different types of eartips and went back with the stock silicone tips. They have the best fit and sound by far.

Mar 15, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #1,761 of 3,155
I've realized that the Ifi Zen Dac V2 I purchased was open box and missing the rca cables. It was supposed to be new. ugghh. Stupid amazon 3rd party sellers! I'm probably keeping it anyway as I do like it and I like the truebass button, however I've now ordered a Schiit Asgard 3 and plan to run the Zen as just the Dac with the Asgard. I read a review that said they work well together. I'm hoping it sounds good, hopefully better than the Zen alone with my M9's(not that I was disappointed at all with just the Zen DAC). I need to stop buying stuff now. lol.

Has anyone used the M9's with the Asgard 3? Would be interested to hear any impressions.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #1,764 of 3,155
what are people's experience with tacky/peeling of the ear guides on the m9 stock cable?

i thought there was some dust so i rubbed it and noticed a sliver of plastic/rubber came off.

Yeah i have the same issue. At first, i thought it was adhesive residue. But it wasn't. 😑

Mar 16, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #1,765 of 3,155
what are people's experience with tacky/peeling of the ear guides on the m9 stock cable?

i thought there was some dust so i rubbed it and noticed a sliver of plastic/rubber came off.
Same here. It seems like the silicone or rubber is decomposing. Has been reported previously.
What is strange is that I didnt have this issue at first, then changed the cable to a 3rd party one, sealed the original cable in a plastic bag and when I took it out a few months later it was sticky.
Another original cable which i have never used and kept in a sealed bag is OK.

Mar 21, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #1,767 of 3,155
Got my EP NI1000 tips today. They are sadly too short and I can't get a good seal. They are just slightly shorter than the foam tips I have. They sound fine despite the weak seal but I don't notice any audible difference between them and the foam ones I have.

I also got my Asgard 3 today and I can't tell any difference between it and the iFi Zen Dac. I only have my M9's to test with. Idk if it needs burn it, not even sure how 'real' that is. There is also an audible popping sound from the Asgard when nothing is playing, which I don't hear from the Zen. It could be the cheap RCA cables I'm using as I wait for my Schitt jumpers, or god forbid the amp is faulty. Ugggh, feel like I'm just wasting money at this point.

Can't wait to get my cable and be more disappointed. lol

Edit: The popping sound or whatever it was seems to have gone away now, so that's good.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #1,768 of 3,155
This is sad to hear, seems like Japanese ears are significantly smaller than our western ears.

But you do have tips that fit, and even though you can't enjoy the EP-NI1000, you can enjoy the IER-M9 and that is the most important thing in the end

Mar 22, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #1,769 of 3,155
This is sad to hear, seems like Japanese ears are significantly smaller than our western ears.

But you do have tips that fit, and even though you can't enjoy the EP-NI1000, you can enjoy the IER-M9 and that is the most important thing in the end
Oh I'm still going to try using the EP-NI1000's, even though they are too short, they are larger in diameter than my L foam ones, so it's a trade off. I can't get them in deep enough to seal but like I said they still sound comparable somehow(tbh I don't think my foam tips even seal that well). I'll look for 'longer' tips in the future but for now I'll see if I can make these work somehow.

And yeah, at least I can still enjoy the M9's.

Mar 22, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #1,770 of 3,155
I've come up with a diy solution of sorts. I cut the nozzle sleeve from a silcone tip that didn't fit and put it on the M9 nozzle which prevents the EP-NI1000 from sliding on fully which results in a few extra mm of length. It seems to be working ok so far. The EP-NI1000 fit pretty snug on the M9 so even tho it's not on fully it seems to be staying in place. I can't get a full seal still but it is better than it was for sure.
20220322_131640.jpg
20220322_131708.jpg
20220322_131853.jpg
20220322_131931.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back