Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Mar 7, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #1,726 of 3,155
Hey guys, looking for some advice. How does the M9 handle busy complex music like death/black metal? Anybody here listen’s to extreme metal? I read they have very good bass presence and quiet thicker on mids, wondering if that is tight/fast enough to handle blast beats and fast passages on metal tracks. Would you call it laid back or it has some engaging factor for rock/metal? My source is WM1A, would that be enough to get the best outta M9? Thanks for your time.
I listen to a lot of progressive metal and metalcore. I'm listening to the new Archspire record now. M9s are awesome for this type of music. Bass drums in particular are very tight, but not overbearing at all. Which you don't want for this type of music anyways. I'd say these are right up your alley, at least to try/demo.

I'll echo what Vamp said, Source is important. Music sounds noticeably better wired through my Topping DX7Pro than Bluetooth through my BTR5.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #1,728 of 3,155
is anyone using it with qudelix 5k ? are these sufficient to drive the m9's and most importantly does it limit the m9's performance in any way ?
IME the M9 benefits a lot from source quality improvements, and as such a source like the qudelix is certainly a limiting factor. That does not change that the M9 sounds good with any source.

I use it mostly with a Chord Hugo 2 for stationary listening at home and the Mojo for mobile use.
The difference is really how alive and real the music feels. Going from the Hugo to the Mojo and then to my simplest source, the direct out from the iPhone SE 2015 feels painful to me. With the Hugo the music feels alive, sounds are reverberating in space, every tone is clear and defined. The Mojo sounds slightly dull in comparison, a little less lively and with a smaller stage. I lose interest far more quickly. Going to the iPhone SE really feels like the life is sucked out of the music entirely.

I have not heard the qudelix and it's got a good reputation. So maybe just take the M9 as an investment and be sure that it will keep improving with the source quality you use. That's what I did and I am superbly happy with them. In fact I strongly believe that they are actually better than many people realize, because people are not listening to them with the right sources, cables and tips.

Mar 8, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #1,729 of 3,155
IME the M9 benefits a lot from source quality improvements, and as such a source like the qudelix is certainly a limiting factor. That does not change that the M9 sounds good with any source.

I use it mostly with a Chord Hugo 2 for stationary listening at home and the Mojo for mobile use.
The difference is really how alive and real the music feels. Going from the Hugo to the Mojo and then to my simplest source, the direct out from the iPhone SE 2015 feels painful to me. With the Hugo the music feels alive, sounds are reverberating in space, every tone is clear and defined. The Mojo sounds slightly dull in comparison, a little less lively and with a smaller stage. I lose interest far more quickly. Going to the iPhone SE really feels like the life is sucked out of the music entirely.

I have not heard the qudelix and it's got a good reputation. So maybe just take the M9 as an investment and be sure that it will keep improving with the source quality you use. That's what I did and I am superbly happy with them. In fact I strongly believe that they are actually better than many people realize, because people are not listening to them with the right sources, cables and tips.
I am not looking to invest a lot into lot of accessories right now. The reason i asked for qudelix 5k, is due to Bluetooth and allows me on the go portability via my s21 ultra, without huge battery drain.
Second would be anyone using cayin ru6 or l&p w2 with these iem's ?

Third are these iem's durable, like build quality matters a lot to me. Which is why, i am avoiding a lot of chifi iems which have received rave reviews thie audio monarch mk2,
ba2/dusk ( my original budget ). But after some google fu i have apprehensions, about thier build quality even for high end chifi iems. Which is why i am just avoiding the whole lot.

Mar 8, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #1,730 of 3,155
I am not looking to invest a lot into lot of accessories right now. The reason i asked for qudelix 5k, is due to Bluetooth and allows me on the go portability via my s21 ultra, without huge battery drain.

Third are these iem's durable, like build quality matters a lot to me. Which is why, i am avoiding a lot of chifi iems which have received rave reviews thie audio monarch mk2,
ba2/dusk ( my original budget ). But after some google fu i have apprehensions, about thier build quality even for high end chifi iems. Which is why i am just avoiding the whole lot.
L&P W2 pairs nicely with M9. It has more than enough driving power, and the clean/clarity focused tonality of W2 complements M9’s warmer tone very well.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #1,731 of 3,155

They are made of metal, inside and outside

It's only magnesium alloy so they might not withstand if you run over them with a thank but other then that, they pretty much take every beating.

You only should be careful when cleaning them because they use a foam filter inside. It can be replaced but it's annoying and not needed if you take care when cleaning.

In the end, these are an professional tool for musicians meant to be used on concerts and musicians are not known to treat their equipment well

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #1,732 of 3,155

I love the W2-131 pairing with the M9 on 4.4mm connection. M9 is one of the few IEMs I tried that improves with better amps, worth a try.

Battery drain isn't too horrible with the W2-131 on my Xperia 1 III.

Mar 8, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #1,733 of 3,155
I love the W2-131 pairing with the M9 on 4.4mm connection. M9 is one of the few IEMs I tried that improves with better amps, worth a try.

is w2 131 newer version of w2 and if so how do i distinguish the same ?

also somewhere it was mentioned that looto paw s2 has the least power consumption between l&p w2, cayin ru 6 and lotoo paw s2.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #1,734 of 3,155
is w2 131 newer version of w2 and if so how do i distinguish the same ?

also somewhere it was mentioned that looto paw s2 has the least power consumption between l&p w2, cayin ru 6 and lotoo paw s2.
It's blue for the W2-131 vs the older one that is black

Tested power draw from L7audiolab was

W2 = 734 mW
S2 = 638 mW
W2-131 = 680 mW

Mar 8, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #1,735 of 3,155

Absolutely true. And it also reveals what the amp is really capable of.

I know that not a lot share this opinion, but imho the IER-M9 shows that the TA-ZH1ES is superior to the DMP-Z1. With every other Headhone or Earphone including the IER-Z1R, its just a matter of taste/preference if you like the DMP-Z1 or TA-ZH1ES, but with the IER-M9 its actually a matter of sonic performance.

There are only a very few Earphone that are capable in this, i personally have not met another one yet.

Mar 8, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #1,736 of 3,155
By the way, my Girlfriend (and me) are both still very happy with the EP-NI1000.

No sign of wear yet, on neither of them. She is very happy with the fit and the sound, same is true to me. She always had issues with the XBA-Z5 and could only use them with memory foam. Now she can finally use them with a set of foam that sounds like silicone.

Also, due to a sickness, her sweat contains more salt and that further accelerated the wear on general memory foam. She had to replace them every two weeks or so. The EP-NI1000, still like new. No matter how close you look, nothing.

So its still a 10/10 would buy again.

Mar 8, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #1,737 of 3,155
By the way, my Girlfriend (and me) are both still very happy with the EP-NI1000.

No sign of wear yet, on neither of them. She is very happy with the fit and the sound, same is true to me. She always had issues with the XBA-Z5 and could only use them with memory foam. Now she can finally use them with a set of foam that sounds like silicone.

Also, due to a sickness, her sweat contains more salt and that further accelerated the wear on general memory foam. She had to replace them every two weeks or so. The EP-NI1000, still like new. No matter how close you look, nothing.

Just ordered a set! :smile:

Mar 12, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #1,738 of 3,155
tBy the way, my Girlfriend (and me) are both still very happy with the EP-NI1000.

Thanks for your information that provide me a good reference for solving the air pressure problem.

I just purchased a pair of IER-M9 yesterday and found the air pressure in the ear is uncomfortable. This is my first attempt at the balanced armatured headphones.

However, EP-NI1000 seems to be sold too expensive in China ($23). I noticed that it is in pack with the WF-1000XM4 TWS. Maybe I can find a spare pair on the second-hand market sold by the TWS user.

Then I realized that I have some Moondrop MIS-Tip foam tips. It feels great and effectively addressed the air pressure issue for IER-M9!

MIS-Tip is much cheaper than EP-NI1000. I will compare them once I get EP-NI1000.

Mar 12, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #1,739 of 3,155
Thanks for your information that provide me a good reference for solving the air pressure problem.

I just purchased a pair of IER-M9 yesterday and found the air pressure in the ear is uncomfortable. This is my first attempt at the balanced armatured headphones.

However, EP-NI1000 seems to be sold too expensive in China ($23). I noticed that it is in pack with the WF-1000XM4 TWS. Maybe I can find a spare pair on the second-hand market sold by the TWS user.

Then I realized that I have some Moondrop MIS-Tip foam tips. It feels great and effectively addressed the air pressure issue for IER-M9!

MIS-Tip is much cheaper than EP-NI1000. I will compare them once I get EP-NI1000.
how much did you pay for it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back