Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Mar 3, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #1,711 of 3,139
I used the LC-4.4D with my IER-M9 for a while and they fit better than the stock cable, thats true. But i found them to have higher microphonic which started to annoy me over time. But other then that, i liked it.
Ok it fits better, but how it sound?

Mar 4, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #1,712 of 3,139
Welp, my new cable is already cutting out in the right ear, I'm going to have to return it. :slight_frown:

I was looking around more tonight and I think I might just spend a bit more and get something nicer. I'm leaning towards a Dunu Cable or the CEMA PS series. I like the idea of modular but I don't love L cable connections. I read several people recommending the Blanche but I'm not sure I want a pure silver Cable. I really like the black/grey look of both the Chord and Hulk Pro. The Hulk seems rather pricey tho.

Any rec's from those would be welcome!

Edit, I just discovered the Chord is actually a brown colour, so that's probably out now. darn

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #1,713 of 3,139
Welp, my new cable is already cutting out in the right ear, I'm going to have to return it. :slight_frown:

I was looking around more tonight and I think I might just spend a bit more and get something nicer. I'm leaning towards a Dunu Cable or the CEMA PS series. I like the idea of modular but I don't love L cable connections. I read several people recommending the Blanche but I'm not sure I want a pure silver Cable. I really like the black/grey look of both the Chord and Hulk Pro. The Hulk seems rather pricey tho.

Edit, I just discovered the Chord is actually a brown colour, so that's probably out now. darn
Fiio LC-RC maybe? Its straight modular and its black, however depends on your ear and how your m9 fits, it may have a pressure point

Attachments

• B2AE8BE7-4E46-447F-9F50-4D1B9259EED6.jpeg
    B2AE8BE7-4E46-447F-9F50-4D1B9259EED6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 4, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #1,715 of 3,139

You may have seen my post on the CEMA PS cable.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-ier-m9-impressions-thread.897604/post-16424602

After 8 months I am still very happy with this cable.
It has held up perfectly and I stand to the sound improvements as described in the post linked above.
One detail that is important to me is that CEMA is offering connectors that visually really match the M9.
Just the fit is not as tight as the original cable - it rotates more freely. I suppose the plastic insert on the original SONY cable connector creates more friction against the M9 shell.
....maybe I should use a tiny piece of tape on the connector to create a tight fit... :thinking:

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #1,716 of 3,139
You may have seen my post on the CEMA PS cable.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-ier-m9-impressions-thread.897604/post-16424602

After 8 months I am still very happy with this cable.
It has held up perfectly and I stand to the sound improvements as described in the post linked above.
One detail that is important to me is that CEMA is offering connectors that visually really match the M9.
Just the fit is not as tight as the original cable - it rotates more freely. I suppose the plastic insert on the original SONY cable connector creates more friction against the M9 shell.
....maybe I should use a tiny piece of tape on the connector to create a tight fit... :thinking:
I did read your analysis of the CEMA PS, it's one of the main reasons I'm considering it! I don't think I'd mind if the cable rotates more freely, that won't bother me. I like that it has a straight connector instead of the L 90degree angle. It looks really nice.
The main drawback seems to be that you said it's rather microphonic and not ideal for on-the-go listening, because I mainly use my M9's while out and moving around.

Does anyone know if the Dunu cables are very microphonic? Anyone heard the DUW-03?

Mar 4, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #1,717 of 3,139
Fiio LC-RC maybe? Its straight modular and its black, however depends on your ear and how your m9 fits, it may have a pressure point
I like the look of the cable, but now I'm kinda hesitant to get another Fiio cable. I wish the casing that connects to the iem was metal instead of plastic on the Fiio's.

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #1,718 of 3,139
I did read your analysis of the CEMA PS, it's one of the main reasons I'm considering it! I don't think I'd mind if the cable rotates more freely, that won't bother me. I like that it has a straight connector instead of the L 90degree angle. It looks really nice.
The main drawback seems to be that you said it's rather microphonic and not ideal for on-the-go listening, because I mainly use my M9's while out and moving around.

Does anyone know if the Dunu cables are very microphonic? Anyone heard the DUW-03?
DUW-03 is a good cable. Would look gorgeous on the M9. Not microphonic. Part of that is because it is weighty though. You won't ever forget it is there since it is not thin nor light but it is quality.

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #1,719 of 3,139
DUW-03 is a good cable. Would look gorgeous on the M9. Not microphonic. Part of that is because it is weighty though. You won't ever forget it is there since it is not thin nor light but it is quality.
Thanks! I don't might if the cable is a bit heavy, I'd prefer that to thin and weightless tbh.

Mar 5, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #1,721 of 3,139
@surfgeorge Is the CEMA MS series cable less microphonic than the PS? I was also wondering how were able to select the Z1R plug with your PS cable. I see that they say it's available at no extra cost, but there is no option to select it.

Mar 5, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #1,722 of 3,139
@surfgeorge Is the CEMA MS series cable less microphonic than the PS? I was also wondering how were able to select the Z1R plug with your PS cable. I see that they say it's available at no extra cost, but there is no option to select it.

Regarding MS vs PS cable microphonics, the PS is substantially BETTER than the MS, because it is lighter and much more flexible. The MS is a bit of a beast with quite thick conductors.
I am currently sitting on a bus, listening to the M9 with the PS cable and the EPNI1000 foam tips. In fact with these tips I detect barely any microphonics, they isolate really well and dampen any vibrations from the cable exceptionally well. Yes, I think the Sony cable is still better in regards to microphonics, lighter and softer, but I have no issues with the PS cable now.

To get the cable with the Sony Z1R connectors you choose the termination you like and add a message to the seller. I contacted them before buying to make sure they were aware of my request.

Mar 5, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #1,723 of 3,139
Regarding MS vs PS cable microphonics, the PS is substantially BETTER than the MS, because it is lighter and much more flexible. The MS is a bit of a beast with quite thick conductors.
I am currently sitting on a bus, listening to the M9 with the PS cable and the EPNI1000 foam tips. In fact with these tips I detect barely any microphonics, they isolate really well and dampen any vibrations from the cable exceptionally well. Yes, I think the Sony cable is still better in regards to microphonics, lighter and softer, but I have no issues with the PS cable now.

To get the cable with the Sony Z1R connectors you choose the termination you like and add a message to the seller. I contacted them before buying to make sure they were aware of my request.
Thanks so much for you're reply! Atm I'm leaning towards a CEMA cable, so maybe I won't rule out the PS yet. I am looking at the MS as well though.
I really like that you can get the Z1R plug, the fact that it will fit nice and flush is great and it just looks really nice based on the pic you uploaded of yours. I'd prefer a cable that is a bit thicker than average, not really a fan of thin cables.

Mar 7, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #1,724 of 3,139
Hey guys, looking for some advice. How does the M9 handle busy complex music like death/black metal? Anybody here listen’s to extreme metal? I read they have very good bass presence and quiet thicker on mids, wondering if that is tight/fast enough to handle blast beats and fast passages on metal tracks. Would you call it laid back or it has some engaging factor for rock/metal? My source is WM1A, would that be enough to get the best outta M9? Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #1,725 of 3,139
Hey guys, looking for some advice. How does the M9 handle busy complex music like death/black metal? Anybody here listen’s to extreme metal? I read they have very good bass presence and quiet thicker on mids, wondering if that is tight/fast enough to handle blast beats and fast passages on metal tracks. Would you call it laid back or it has some engaging factor for rock/metal? My source is WM1A, would that be enough to get the best outta M9? Thanks for your time.
The only thing that is up to the game of the M9 is the TA-ZH1ES.

But that doesn't mean they will sound bad from the WM1A, the opposite. The better the source, the better they will sound. The WM1A it's an excellent source that will make them sound like that.

It's an portable DAP and so, like all portable DAPs, does have its limitation due to size. But inside it's size restrictions, the WM1 series is pushing the limits.

In terms of bass, it's an all BA IEM, if this is not fast enough, nothing is. If fast Bass is something you need, there is nothing better you could get.

And especially when Bass is something you worry about, make sure to get the EP-NI1000 with the IER-M9

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back