Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Nov 22, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #1,561 of 3,155
I have been having good results with the SednaFit Crystal too

Nov 22, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #1,562 of 3,155
had you tried final e ear tips i use those when i want the bass on my m7
Yes I have, and just compared them directly again to refresh my memory.
With the ideal sizes (Spiral Dot++ MS and Final E size S) I get more or less similar deep fit, but the Spiral Dot is a bit easier to fit perfectly, since it is very soft.

Sound wise the Final E has a sharper treble response and surprisingly less bass impact and extension, despite giving the fealing of sealing more than the Spiral Dots.
The Spiral Dots I need to insert as deep as possible to get a good seal, then they feel very comfortable and seem to adapt extremely well to my ear shape.
They never create the vaccum effect but still seal well.
And the sound signature is great! Smoother and fuller than the sound from the Final E, with no sharpness in the treble and surprising bass slam and extension.
All the detail is there, with good body and smoothness.

I should mention that I don't use the stock cables but a CEMA PS upgrade cable which sounds a bit more open and clear, so that might contribute to the perceived sharpness with the Final E tips. Also the Chord Hugo 2 which I use as a source is known for very defined and honest sound, a very neutral source, no tube-y smoothing coming from that direction either.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #1,563 of 3,155
I have used the fiio fc3.5c (silver plated copper) and recently gu.craftsman single crystal silver. The tighter ear hooks did affect the fit so if the seal has been compromised it could have the effect you are describing of forward/sharper mids.

I am hating that I prefer the m9 stock cable and have just wasted this money on cables (learning experience). The stock cable is light the light ear guides/hooks actually allow more freedom with the insertion angle depth. It is also the least microphonic which is important for listening on the move.

Picture of gu.craftsman because I don't think there is one on the internet yet:
20211005_122618.jpg
Any improvement in sound with the gu cable?

Nov 25, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #1,565 of 3,155
Any improvement in sound with the gu cable?
I just put it on again to test then and I didn't notice anything. Im not sure if I'm a believer in audible changes from cable changes but I'm open to try and hear it.

The m9 to me does seem better on balanced cable but I can't tell the difference between those cables.

There is a simple elegance to the original that of course I didn't realise until after spending reasonable money on upgrade cables!
The gu cable does look and feel nice with secure earhooks but I was a bit disappointed that there was a bit of paint imperfections on the mmcx sleeve.

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #1,566 of 3,155
I just put it on again to test then and I didn't notice anything. Im not sure if I'm a believer in audible changes from cable changes but I'm open to try and hear it.

The m9 to me does seem better on balanced cable but I can't tell the difference between those cables.

There is a simple elegance to the original that of course I didn't realise until after spending reasonable money on upgrade cables!
The gu cable does look and feel nice with secure earhooks but I was a bit disappointed that there was a bit of paint imperfections on the mmcx sleeve.
Thanks, you just saved my 130 bucks. Ordered the same cable for my HD 650 though (stock senn cables are too long and heavy for my taste). I noticed noticeable improvement in cable swap in only two instances (Final e4000 with alo litz, stock cable is peaky in the lower treble. Moon audio silver dragon with Hifiman Susvara. Midrange gets considerable improvement. Same cable makes the Abyss 1266 phi tc somewhat listenable. Still a crappy headphone lol)

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #1,567 of 3,155
Regarding the cable influence I have been using the M9 with the cable from the IER-Z1R and the CEMA PS.
In terms of handling and feel the Sony cables are the best I have ever used.
The only real issue is the deterioration of the ear hook, which is really disappointing. Mine is about 1,5 years old and the hooks are decomposing and sticky.

I ordered the CEMA PS after some good experiences with their cheaper MS cable on other IEMs.
Why the PS? Because I was not ready to pay $400 on the very well reviewed Tianwaitian cable, and the PS is using similar materials.
I was hoping for a bit more forward mids and more open staging.

Sonically there is a pretty significant difference between the PS and the Z1R cable.
Compared to the PS, the Z1R cable sounds a bit congested, a bit muffled, the stage is narrower.
Bass loses a little punch. It also sounds as if the volume is a bit lower.
The only thing I could consider an advantage of the Z1R cable is a somewhat more forward male vocal presentation, where the PS pushes it a little further out into the stage and mix.

Other than that the PS just gives a clearer, snappier and more open presentation with better separation and definition.
It almost feels as if it elevates bass and upper midrange a bit and is generally louder.

In short - IMO a worthwhile upgrade for the M9.
Leaves me wondering how good that Tianwaitian may be...

Tested with:
Chord Hugo 2 (source TIDAL Hifi via iPhone and Meenova cable)
Tips: Spiral Dots++
Songs: Pineapple thief "White Mist", David Fesilyan "Drum Warfare", IU "Love Poem"

Nov 25, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #1,568 of 3,155
I received the Gel filled Eartips from Canal Works today

The sound is insane, the best so far but I can hear myself much louder than before.

Have to check how they isolate but they fit perfect (they just disappear). Very soft material

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #1,569 of 3,155
Oh dammit, I already guessed it. The isolation is not as good.

They work wonders with the IER-Z1R but I'm not convinced yet in the IER-M9

If you don't care about isolation, highly recommended but isolation is very important for me so I'll have to check if it is sufficient enough for me

Nov 26, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #1,570 of 3,155
I had the chance to audition a friend Z1R a week ago and I have to say I was a bit disappointed? Perhaps they require good seal like the M9, though I just expected a more noticeable difference in impact especially with the DD handling the bass. The mild V really made some higher pitch things sparkle and the sub bass was quite nice but not exactly my taste.

Anyhow, these still reign as the pickiest IEM I've dealt with. I went from M hybrids to ML comforts and was shocked by how much warmer they sounded at the expense of rolled off treble. Now I'm back on the hybrids in the SS size and finally have a combination of treble and just enough seal for bass without that suction cup ear feel. I'm still very impressed by the balance these strike in terms of technicality, tuning, and comfort.

Nov 26, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #1,571 of 3,155
Regarding the cable influence I have been using the M9 with the cable from the IER-Z1R and the CEMA PS.
In terms of handling and feel the Sony cables are the best I have ever used.
The only real issue is the deterioration of the ear hook, which is really disappointing. Mine is about 1,5 years old and the hooks are decomposing and sticky.

I ordered the CEMA PS after some good experiences with their cheaper MS cable on other IEMs.
Why the PS? Because I was not ready to pay $400 on the very well reviewed Tianwaitian cable, and the PS is using similar materials.
I was hoping for a bit more forward mids and more open staging.

Sonically there is a pretty significant difference between the PS and the Z1R cable.
Compared to the PS, the Z1R cable sounds a bit congested, a bit muffled, the stage is narrower.
Bass loses a little punch. It also sounds as if the volume is a bit lower.
The only thing I could consider an advantage of the Z1R cable is a somewhat more forward male vocal presentation, where the PS pushes it a little further out into the stage and mix.

Other than that the PS just gives a clearer, snappier and more open presentation with better separation and definition.
It almost feels as if it elevates bass and upper midrange a bit and is generally louder.

In short - IMO a worthwhile upgrade for the M9.
Leaves me wondering how good that Tianwaitian may be...

Tested with:
Chord Hugo 2 (source TIDAL Hifi via iPhone and Meenova cable)
Tips: Spiral Dots++
Songs: Pineapple thief "White Mist", David Fesilyan "Drum Warfare", IU "Love Poem"
Thank you for your input. Is that cable somewhat blueish one priced around 150 usd? I saw a review on aliexpress with m9. looks great. CEMA and Gu Craftsman makes excellent cables for the price.

Nov 26, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #1,572 of 3,155
I had the chance to audition a friend Z1R a week ago and I have to say I was a bit disappointed? Perhaps they require good seal like the M9, though I just expected a more noticeable difference in impact especially with the DD handling the bass. The mild V really made some higher pitch things sparkle and the sub bass was quite nice but not exactly my taste.

Anyhow, these still reign as the pickiest IEM I've dealt with. I went from M hybrids to ML comforts and was shocked by how much warmer they sounded at the expense of rolled off treble. Now I'm back on the hybrids in the SS size and finally have a combination of treble and just enough seal for bass without that suction cup ear feel. I'm still very impressed by the balance these strike in terms of technicality, tuning, and comfort.
The IER-Z1R is complicated because it's basically made of three tweeters.

The 12mm DD is basically a big tweeter (capable of up to 100KHz!)

The midrange BA is the same BA the IER-M9 uses as super tweeter

And then there is the dedicated super tweeter

Also the bass quality of the IER-M9 is insane, I think most people compare the IER-Z1R to ""normal"" aka boring IEM and then, the IER-Z1R does have insane bass

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #1,573 of 3,155
Thank you for your input. Is that cable somewhat blueish one priced around 150 usd? I saw a review on aliexpress with m9. looks great. CEMA and Gu Craftsman makes excellent cables for the price.
That review is from me and the cable is this one:
B02595D1-F30F-429A-AC7B-D086929ADB98.jpeg
I tested it today with the Moondrop Variations and it also showed similar improvements.
Wider stage, better clarity and separation, yet very clean and natural sound, no harshness.
Really makes me wonder about that Tianwaitian….

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #1,574 of 3,155
The IER-Z1R is complicated because it's basically made of three tweeters.

The 12mm DD is basically a big tweeter (capable of up to 100KHz!)

The midrange BA is the same BA the IER-M9 uses as super tweeter

And then there is the dedicated super tweeter

Also the bass quality of the IER-M9 is insane, I think most people compare the IER-Z1R to ""normal"" aka boring IEM and then, the IER-Z1R does have insane bass
Thanks for the explanation. I’m especially surprised that the M9 super tweeter is used for the Z1R midrange. That just makes it even more impressive that the Z1R sounds so coherent.

When compared to my ER4XR, the M9 does feel to have more oomph and more physical. So I can see that being the case as well.

Nov 27, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #1,575 of 3,155
WThe IER-Z1R is complicated because it's basically made of three tweeters.
You are juat saying false information here. It is not made of 3 tweeters. The Z1R has three drivers
One 12mm DD for bass frequemcies
One BA for mids
One 5mm DD for highg and sup r highs
Learn to read properly soeca before poating non-sense

Users who are viewing this thread

Back