Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Sep 11, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #1,486 of 3,155
They've done this with a few products when they stop selling them, massive discount sold as "demo models". I got some Aeons the same way a while back. In that case, A2A stopped being an official supplier for DCA. I assume they want to clear their remaining stock but the manufacturer won't let them discount it that much unless they label it "demo".

I saw the M9 deal on Ozbargain and was tempted but back then I thought I wanted Moondrop S8s. A few more reviews and thinking about it though I kicked myself. Luckily I've found some used on SNA.
Thank you for this perspective. I haven't even thought about this.

Kind Regards

Sep 11, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #1,487 of 3,155
Minidisc recently stocked some more M9s at MSRP1499. I was able to get it at 899 from Sony’s AU official website, by using price matching with the price on A2A :)
Nice. I paid $765 used like-new, haven't gotten them yet but I'm pretty happy with that deal. It sux for people who bought these at msrp but it's great for the rest of us when discounts like this happen. These are widely talked about as on-par with Andros but we're getting them for around half their price. A break for us Aussies for a change!

Sep 11, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #1,489 of 3,155
Sep 15, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #1,490 of 3,155
Hey all - I was about to buy the Sennheiser IE 900's but with those sold out I ended up doing more research and went with the IER M9 for my first kilobuck IEM. Holy crap this thing is INCREDIBLE!! I came from the IE 80 S IEM's and this just walks all over them and sounds like full-sized headphones. It's incredible. The only thing that I'm still getting used to is less impactful bass compared to the DD drivers. Curious if anyone has tip recommendations that emphasize the bass more-so that I could try out? :) I'm currently using the comfort tips that come with these and haven't tried the other tips yet.

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #1,491 of 3,155
Hey all - I was about to buy the Sennheiser IE 900's but with those sold out I ended up doing more research and went with the IER M9 for my first kilobuck IEM. Holy crap this thing is INCREDIBLE!! I came from the IE 80 S IEM's and this just walks all over them and sounds like full-sized headphones. It's incredible. The only thing that I'm still getting used to is less impactful bass compared to the DD drivers. Curious if anyone has tip recommendations that emphasize the bass more-so that I could try out? :) I'm currently using the comfort tips that come with these and haven't tried the other tips yet.
Try foam tips.

Sep 15, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #1,492 of 3,155

Try foam tips.
The comfort tips are foam. But I recommend you trying the hybrids that come with them. Go as small as possible for as deep an insertion as possible. If you want aftermarket tips I suggest the JVC SpiralDot+ tips. It's what I've used since I got them this year. I used the hybnds for a year and struggled with an inconsistent seal and the vacuum plug effect. SpiralDot+ solved those issues for me.

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #1,494 of 3,155
The comfort tips are foam. But I recommend you trying the hybrids that come with them. Go as small as possible for as deep an insertion as possible. If you want aftermarket tips I suggest the JVC SpiralDot+ tips. It's what I've used since I got them this year. I used the hybnds for a year and struggled with an inconsistent seal and the vacuum plug effect. SpiralDot+ solved those issues for me.

oh ya the non-comfort tips pretty much doubled the bass. WAY better. These are the tips for me :).

Sep 17, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #1,497 of 3,155
Have you guys noticed a clicking sound in sync with footfall on the M7 and M9 (both my M7 and M9 have this problem)? I think I have confirmed that it's due to the looseness/play in the MMCX connection. Very audible while walking, during quiet parts of music. It's much more in the right side than the left side. Very irritating – anyone have ideas to fix it? I'm not too good with modding stuff.

And yes, I even tried a brand new replacement M9 cable. Same issue.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #1,498 of 3,155
Have you guys noticed a clicking sound in sync with footfall on the M7 and M9 (both my M7 and M9 have this problem)? I think I have confirmed that it's due to the looseness/play in the MMCX connection. Very audible while walking, during quiet parts of music. It's much more in the right sight than the left side. Very irritating – anyone have ideas to fix it? I'm not too good with modding stuff.

Perhaps you could try to placing a rubber o-ring around the cable connector to prevent the play. Just don't force it into the sleeved portion. A messier option would be electrical tape to thicken the connector.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #1,499 of 3,155
Have you guys noticed a clicking sound in sync with footfall on the M7 and M9 (both my M7 and M9 have this problem)? I think I have confirmed that it's due to the looseness/play in the MMCX connection. Very audible while walking, during quiet parts of music. It's much more in the right sight than the left side. Very irritating – anyone have ideas to fix it? I'm not too good with modding stuff.

Been a while since I've used my M9 on the go, but I think I might have experienced once or twice due to the ear-hook section of the cable, because the outer sleeve is seperated from the cable itself and slightly sticky, so it could be pinching and releasing behind your ear or just moving around inside the housing as you move (moisture from sweat etc... could make it even noisier- especially if it gets inside the sleeve).

Apologies if you are experienced and know this stuff already, but some generic advice, just in case:

In my experience usually with loose connection I'd get obvious audio cut-outs or volume inconsistency*. I guess it could just be movement of the cable in the housing. Do you swap cables a lot?

Do you use a shirt clip? I find they are very helpful for reducing/eliminating cable related noises. (alternately you can try wearing them stage monitor style, with the cable running down your back and the Y slider cinched up to the base of your skull- although in the peculiar case of the M9 ear hook maybe wearing the cable looser would help too.)

A clicking type of sound can also be an issue with the seal/tips changing as you move (or possibly some occlusion effect or microphonics from your body, sometimes jaw movement can make a clicky sound)- in this case I would try playing around with different tip sizes, types and insertion depths.

*Conceivably could be coming from the source but assuming you have isolated it to just these IEMs. It also seems less likely that you would have issues with the mmcx electrical connection on the same side of two different headphones- FWIW the first thing I try with connection issues is cleaning with brush-on plastic safe deoxit.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #1,500 of 3,155
Woah, the new WF1000XM4 foam tips are great on the M9. Shame they are a pain to get hold of!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back