Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Apr 24, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #1,247 of 3,155
Rolling tips tonight and yet again decided to try stock tips but I've finally rulled them out - triple comfort sit well and no pressure build but they suffocate too much. The hybrids give me an instant horrible pressure build, awful trying to pull them out then, certainly won't try them again!

I tried a number of others and ultimately landed back where I started with the grey DUNU tips (sitting on the Sony case pictured below) - no pressure and sound fantastic. Also, very good results with SendaEarfit Xelastec, have them in at the moment and very nice - a little brighter than the DUNU tips as the bore is wider but still excellent bass response... I'll leave these on for a few days for further testing but happy to have another set with success. Oh and surprisingly, the foam tips with a wider bore (towards the back of the Sony case) also worked well, further testing needed though.

My wife and kids think I'm very strange at the kitchen table with a glass of wine and all these bits around me...

tips.jpg

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #1,249 of 3,155
Rolling tips tonight and yet again decided to try stock tips but I've finally rulled them out - triple comfort sit well and no pressure build but they suffocate too much. The hybrids give me an instant horrible pressure build, awful trying to pull them out then, certainly won't try them again!

I tried a number of others and ultimately landed back where I started with the grey DUNU tips (sitting on the Sony case pictured below) - no pressure and sound fantastic. Also, very good results with SendaEarfit Xelastec, have them in at the moment and very nice - a little brighter than the DUNU tips as the bore is wider but still excellent bass response... I'll leave these on for a few days for further testing but happy to have another set with success. Oh and surprisingly, the foam tips with a wider bore (towards the back of the Sony case) also worked well, further testing needed though.

My wife and kids think I'm very strange at the kitchen table with a glass of wine and all these bits around me...

tips.jpg
Which tips are behind the white Dunu tips?
Also, in the box, are those UM blue heart tips?

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #1,251 of 3,155
One of the unexpected quirk of the M9 for me is how much power it needed for volume. Totally didn't expect maxing out the volume and still didn't get enough when listening to Youtube stream or some quieter recordings. And I listen at pretty low volume already!

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #1,252 of 3,155
One of the unexpected quirk of the M9 for me is how much power it needed for volume. Totally didn't expect maxing out the volume and still didn't get enough when listening to Youtube stream or some quieter recordings. And I listen at pretty low volume already!
I have the M7 and sound decent with WM1A, stage ia not as big as Z1R. But tried recwntly a DMP-z1 and susdleny the stage of M7 went to spacious levels

May 7, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #1,253 of 3,155
Going to give it a try, even with the smallest Sony and Final tips, I am not able to get a good insert without the pressure build up.
I can confirm the Tanchjim T-APB tips have turned my M9 from nearly unuseable to utterly amazing for me. Zero pressure build up even with the deepest fit.

Sounds amazing on my D90/A90 stack, really don't expect an IEM being that demanding from the source.

May 7, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #1,254 of 3,155
I can confirm the Tanchjim T-APB tips have turned my M9 from nearly unuseable to utterly amazing for me. Zero pressure build up even with the deepest fit.

Sounds amazing on my D90/A90 stack, really don't expect an IEM being that demanding from the source.

I just recently got a set of those Tanchjim, haven't tried them yet on the M9. Likewise though on M9 stock tips, none of them worked for me - horrible pressure build. I've been using a DUNU stock tip which has been fantastic, more recently SpinFit CP360 which again works perfectly, no pressure and sounds great.

May 10, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #1,255 of 3,155
I noticed several users praising the M9s with the Sony WM1A.

However, does this DAP really drive them well enough on the 4.4mm out? A lot of reviews claim these IEMs are hard to drive.

May 11, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #1,257 of 3,155
didn't know this has it's own thread.
I'm interested with this new line, but the m9 is like more than 2x the price of M7 here so hesitating whether it's worth the difference.

May 11, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #1,258 of 3,155
didn't know this has it's own thread.
I'm interested with this new line, but the m9 is like more than 2x the price of M7 here so hesitating whether it's worth the difference.
When I listened to them for the first time side by side I wrote down about the M7 "4BA model, very nice but just not up to the IER-M9 level"
and about the M9:
"Great sounding 5BA IEM (added super-tweeter). IMO better than Andromeda, more lively, more punchy. Closer to Solaris, but could not say how close. Great fit!
Very, very nice to hear that refined, detailed and sparkly BA sound with a little heft in the bass. But the weight and heft cannot compare even remotely to the EX800ST or XBA-Z5 slam. Pure SQ clearly above Z5, but the Z5 also has refinement paired with real slam. Matter of preference."

A year ago I bought the M9. Never considered the M7 simply because I knew I'd have always thought I should have got the M9.

From what I remember the M9 is livlier, than the M7, and it really needs that.
The M9 is extremely refined, clean and detailed, with exellent micro dynamics and imaging, at the cost of soundstage size and macro dynamics.

Maybe somone else can offer a more detailed comparison.
In my case I'd maybe consider the M7 as a commuter IEM, the M9 is my armchair IEM, when I like to dive into the musical details it has to offer.

May 11, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #1,259 of 3,155
May 11, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #1,260 of 3,155
m9 signature becomes wider and smooother and more laidback with the wm1a on balanced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back