Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Nov 1, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #241 of 3,155
Not true in my case. Both mids and treble elevated, bass tighter. M7 and M9 sound more dynamic, for my ears.
Which eartips is that?

Nov 1, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #244 of 3,155
LOL, that's response to your reply that tips from MH755 increase bass, decrease mids... reverse is true for my experience.
I have mh755 tips. That thing really boost the bass, resulting mids not as pronounced as with bigger bore like symbio.

Nov 1, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #246 of 3,155
Nah, Symbio never worked for my ears... told already several times 'my ears', so agree to disagree.
dont get me wrong. Didnt mention about your experience. Just telling about my experience.

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #248 of 3,155
I just received the M9s and I am driving them with the FIIO Q5s

I couldn't be more disappointed.

Just kidding. These are great IEMs and my first TOTLs. I am concerned the balanced cable is fragile and will probably not take this IEM on the go, but maybe that will pass, as most 'helicopter parent' feelings tend to fade with time on high priced purchases.

Nov 3, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #249 of 3,155

Just kidding. These are great IEMs and my first TOTLs. I am concerned the balanced cable is fragile and will probably not take this IEM on the go, but maybe that will pass, as most 'helicopter parent' feelings tend to fade with time on high priced purchases.
i do suggest you to tip roll with this set! :wink: find the best one for you. It will change sonic signature with tip rolling.

Nov 3, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #250 of 3,155
Did some A/B’ing last night with the M9 & EX1000 to decide which one to keep and which one to sell, as I’ve decided to get rid of most of my gear and only keep 1 or 2 IEM’s at most. A bit of a Marie Kondo style clean out :darthsmile:

The M9 is a noticeable improvement over the EX1000 in basically every department in my opinion. Which is pretty impressive because the EX1000 is no slouch of an IEM.

Bass is fuller, mids are clearer & treble is smoother without losing any detail. EX1000 sounds muffled in comparison. Soundstage width is pretty similar between the two. The EX1000 maybe sounds slightly more open, but I’m guessing that’s due to their ergonomics and how they sit further out of your ear compared to M9. But the M9 isolates way better.

I think it’s time to say goodbye to the good old EX1000’s. They’ve served me well but they’ve been made completely obsolete by the M9!

Next comparison/decision will be between M9 & Andromeda S. Should be interesting between those two :)

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #251 of 3,155
Did some A/B’ing last night with the M9 & EX1000 to decide which one to keep and which one to sell, as I’ve decided to get rid of most of my gear and only keep 1 or 2 IEM’s at most. A bit of a Marie Kondo style clean out :darthsmile:

The M9 is a noticeable improvement over the EX1000 in basically every department in my opinion. Which is pretty impressive because the EX1000 is no slouch of an IEM.

Bass is fuller, mids are clearer & treble is smoother without losing any detail. EX1000 sounds muffled in comparison. Soundstage width is pretty similar between the two. The EX1000 maybe sounds slightly more open, but I’m guessing that’s due to their ergonomics and how they sit further out of your ear compared to M9. But the M9 isolates way better.

I think it’s time to say goodbye to the good old EX1000’s. They’ve served me well but they’ve been made completely obsolete by the M9!

Next comparison/decision will be between M9 & Andromeda S. Should be interesting between those two :)
Exactly what I feel with my EX1k and M9. Just a note that, in my experience, M9 with bigger bore eartips has a massive change for the soundstage. Try it! Im using my M9 with symbio peeled currently!

Nov 3, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #252 of 3,155

Exactly what I feel with my EX1k and M9. Just a note that, in my experience, M9 with bigger bore eartips has a massive change for the soundstage. Try it! Im using my M9 with symbio peeled currently!

Since Ive been settled with M7, old grandpa EX1000 take a good rest in drawer, I dont miss anything except 1 thing only, the air pressure feeling. Other than that, the next gen M7/M9 have better technicalities and tuning.

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #254 of 3,155
I got the large bore tips you recommended from Amazon and they work great. I ordered 3 pairs.
Cool! the bore is really wide for that !

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #255 of 3,155

Nah don't feel concerned about the stock cables. This IEM is tough man. Though most people don't recommend connecting and disconnecting the MMCX connectors a lot. But at the same time, before I knew any better, I was disconnecting and connecting my MMCX connectors 2-3 times a day, 5 days a week for about 3 months in order to take them to and from work. I eventually quit this as someone said the MMCX connectors can be a weak point on this IEM and many other IEMs, but I never had issues doing it. Maybe I got lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back