Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Oct 11, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #151 of 3,155
Oct 11, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #152 of 3,155
It's LL silicone for me. I couldn't get a seal wit the TC tips either. And yeah the SQ will suffer if you insert them in a way which causes a perfect seal vacuum effect. The M9 sound its' absolute best when they can "breathe" a bit in your ear. So while they do need a seal, there's a fine line between too much and too little. It does make the M9 a bit finicky to be honest.

Try buying the Z1R LL tips, should be about $10. I find the vacuum seal effect disappears for the most part for me.

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #153 of 3,155
hey guys, just received m9 today. Good news, i can see myself ending the iem game very soon with M9.

edit: look at my inventory and past iems, you will be shock on how amazing m9 is if i can end my game with this set

Glad to see you here. I used to follow your posts in the fearless thread. Now I feel happy that I chose to get M9 over La hire/Roland :)

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #154 of 3,155
What tips are you using with M9 btw? I can't get a proper fit with the TC tips so bass sounds anaemic on the M9 then (like seriously...I don't get what's wrong with my ears lol. I use the L silicone just fine but none of the triple comfort stuff would give me a proper fit at all), but it's a completely different story with the Silicone Hybrids (I'm actually using the IER-Z1R tips so I don't get that weird vacuum effect).

The tips from MH755. Comes with the fake MH755 also. I tried many tips, but this the best so far for me. No mods done, but no vacuum effect and everything sound tighter, that M9 boringness gone!

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #155 of 3,155
Glad to see you here. I used to follow your posts in the fearless thread. Now I feel happy that I chose to get M9 over La hire/Roland :)
ier m9 has a crazy balance tuning. You can play around with its tips. It needs sealed but also needs air. Get to play around with the tips and find best one that allow some air for it. It give amazing outstanding imaging ive ever been in iem game. Almost on par with KSE1200 but with a better tonality.

Oct 11, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #156 of 3,155
The tips from MH755. Comes with the fake MH755 also. I tried many tips, but this the best so far for me. No mods done, but no vacuum effect and everything sound tighter, that M9 boringness gone!
Yeah they really will sound boring if inserted too deep or if they’re really plugged in your ear.

Oct 11, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #157 of 3,155
Yeah they really will sound boring if inserted too deep or if they’re really plugged in your ear.
What a lucky user here, i start my first impression with M9 just with M size of hybrid. I feel it's not perfectly sealed just barely sealed. So im just lazy to change tips yet because I want to hear the first impression. Then, M9 leaves me "wow" non stop for everything. I m just keeping the M size on my M9 still. Really darn good iem. Cant beat the imaging.

Oct 11, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #158 of 3,155
What a lucky user here, i start my first impression with M9 just with M size of hybrid. I feel it's not perfectly sealed just barely sealed. So im just lazy to change tips yet because I want to hear the first impression. Then, M9 leaves me "wow" non stop for everything. I m just keeping the M size on my M9 still. Really darn good iem. Cant beat the imaging.
Yep that’s exactly what you want. Barely sealed is pretty much perfect.

Oct 13, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #159 of 3,155
Just got time for a balance M9 tonight with 9038s. I would say this e1da 9038s is just so transparent. The M9 sounds too wide and even more controlled bass. Not really sure if i like this kind of signature but the M9 becomes super wide with 9038s. Lesser midbass, vocals a tad bit dry.

Oct 14, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #161 of 3,155
Finally, after many days waiting for a good offer, I've get the M9 at Amazon Warehouse Japan at an irresistible price. As soon as I receive them, I will share my impressions.

Is anyone using them with Spiral Dots?

Oct 14, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #162 of 3,155
Finally, after many days waiting for a good offer, I've get the M9 at Amazon Warehouse Japan at an irresistible price. As soon as I receive them, I will share my impressions.

My personal experience with amazon warehouse: ordered ier m7, got em, inside the box: empty. Not kidding, still waiting for my refund, hopefully the Japanese will be way more cool with you

Oct 14, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #163 of 3,155

to summarize what's happening on these three;
1. Sony hybrid Silicon (choose the best size please, this is important): the best out of these three. Personally i think sony design/tune M9 with their own tips. The sound of M9 is somewhat remind me of KSE1200 with this tip. The vocals is forward but not "in head" style while the background music lingers around with quite amount of volume so you can listen to the details, almost holographic. Again, KSE1200 holographic is somewhat next step above, the details of background music is even louder and well separate.
2. Symbio W: The most highs out of these three and bring the vocals "in head" kind of presentation. Im not really a fan on this since the imaging and the staging are somewhat reduced.
3. Spiral Dots: Interesting tips here due to the wide bore design. To me, M9 isn't design for wide bore tips. These tips make the vocals to be laid back, sounds like behind the background music but even bring up the background music even further. Basically you do hear the background music more than the vocals.

Oct 14, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #164 of 3,155
My personal experience with amazon warehouse: ordered ier m7, got em, inside the box: empty. Not kidding, still waiting for my refund, hopefully the Japanese will be way more cool with you

Yes, it's a risk from Warehouse products. My experience it's very good with them and I feel calm with Amazon warranty.

to summarize what's happening on these three;
1. Sony hybrid Silicon (choose the best size please, this is important): the best out of these three. Personally i think sony design/tune M9 with their own tips. The sound of M9 is somewhat remind me of KSE1200 with this tip. The vocals is forward but not "in head" style while the background music lingers around with quite amount of volume so you can listen to the details, almost holographic. Again, KSE1200 holographic is somewhat next step above, the details of background music is even louder and well separate.
2. Symbio W: The most highs out of these three and bring the vocals "in head" kind of presentation. Im not really a fan on this since the imaging and the staging are somewhat reduced.
3. Spiral Dots: Interesting tips here due to the wide bore design. To me, M9 isn't design for wide bore tips. These tips make the vocals to be laid back, sounds like behind the background music but even bring up the background music even further. Basically you do hear the background music more than the vocals.

A precise and great description, thank you very much!

Oct 14, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #165 of 3,155
I’d recommend the Z1R hybrid tips instead of the stock M9 tips. For some reason they stopped the vacuum effect with deeper insertion for me. They might be slightly thinner silicone? Not sure...

I bought a set of spare Z1R tips for AUD $11 from Sony’s spare parts supplier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back