Sony IER-M7 Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #77 of 128
Has anyone used foam tips on the m7 and can recommend a certain brand/model? I use mine commuting to work, so I'm looking for better isolation than the silicone tips can provide. I bought some symbio mandarines hybrid tips, but unfortunately I seem to fall between the small/medium size, so can't get a great fit.

Mar 8, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #79 of 128
Has anyone used foam tips on the m7 and can recommend a certain brand/model? I use mine commuting to work, so I'm looking for better isolation than the silicone tips can provide. I bought some symbio mandarines hybrid tips, but unfortunately I seem to fall between the small/medium size, so can't get a great fit.

Hi @yttrium,

I have had good experience with Crystalline Audio Tips which I use extensively if I don't want to use silicone & Dekoni Mercury ain't bad though personally, Crystalline work better.
Comply 500 Isolation work well though depending on your ears, Comply don't last very long as if there's a break, you will notice straight away.
If you're after better silicone options, Periodic Audio Hydrogen tips are pretty good alternatives to most.
The Hydrogen Foam tips aren't bad but they don't work for everyone, I have had limited success with those.

Feel free to ask more if & when you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Apr 10, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #81 of 128
I just ordered a pair, and eagerly await giving them a listen. Many thanks for everyone's insights here!

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #83 of 128
@CoryGillmore how do you like your M9 compared to the Z7m2? Could you compare and contrast the two?
Don’t know if I’ve covered this in here but I ended up buying a Z7M2 used from the forums at a steal of a deal. I love both the M9 and Z7M2 and will likely never part with either. The M9 excels in speed, detail, separation. The Z7M2 excels in bass, imaging, clarity and is also very detailed.
The M9 is finicky with tip selection and insertion technique. It took me nearly a year to find a tip that gave a consistent experience with the M9. But when you get it right, nothing is better IMO. I guess it just depends wether you prefer IEMs or over ears. That is the deciding factor when picking between the two. The M9 is technically superior.

Jul 17, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #84 of 128
@CoryGillmore thanks for the response! I'm not really sure which form I like better, but it seems like the z7m2 is designed for listening and the m7 is designed for actual monitoring by musicians. I'm wondering if you can speak to if either of them sound funner to you, especially with emphasis on the bass rumble. You might also like oratory1990's autoEQ setup for the m7! The z7m2 measurements are coming soon as well :)

Aug 15, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #85 of 128
Hello,

Anyone know where I can purchase online (U.S.) a spare IER-M7 Balanced (Pentaconn) cable? I like the stock cable best in terms of sonics and ergonomics.. The one I have was left in a very hot environment and the ear guides and plastic part near the connectors got cosmetic damage when I tried to wipe off the sticky surfaces..

Sep 19, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #87 of 128
Hello,

Anyone know where I can purchase online (U.S.) a spare IER-M7 Balanced (Pentaconn) cable? I like the stock cable best in terms of sonics and ergonomics.. The one I have was left in a very hot environment and the ear guides and plastic part near the connectors got cosmetic damage when I tried to wipe off the sticky surfaces..
I think you can find a link to the spare parts store on the official Sony site. My stock cable on my M9 did the exact same as you described and I never left mine in a hot car or anything. I assumed the oils of my skin caused it to deteriorate. It is the best and most comfortable IEM cable I've ever used but the ear hooks are a problem. Many in the M9 thread have complained about it.

Sep 19, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #88 of 128
I think you can find a link to the spare parts store on the official Sony site. My stock cable on my M9 did the exact same as you described and I never left mine in a hot car or anything. I assumed the oils of my skin caused it to deteriorate. It is the best and most comfortable IEM cable I've ever used but the ear hooks are a problem. Many in the M9 thread have complained about it.

Thanks! I guess they need immediate wiping after every use?

BTW.. How come the Z1R balanced cables are cheaper than the M9 balanced cable in the Sony online shop?

Z1R:

https://sony.encompass.com/item/12434619/Sony/1-912-774-21/

M9:

https://sony.encompass.com/item/12319321/Sony/1-912-704-11/

Sep 20, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #89 of 128
Dec 31, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #90 of 128
Anyone letting go M7? Might finding a used deal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back