Sony ICF-7600gr or Grundig G5?
Dec 14, 2006 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dead of night

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. Which of these radios is better? I am interested in the most profound AM/FM reception possible in this price range. Reviews, tips, advice, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 15, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 4
I haven't been keeping up on shortwave portables the last few years, but I'd probably go with the Sony mainly because that model has been around for a while and generally has a good reputation, but that Grundig model is one I've never heard of. You might try asking on s shortwave radio forum or the Usenet group rec.radio.shortwave. A few years ago I got a lot of great advice from that group, and I think many people that frequented it then are still there.

Dec 15, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 4
If all you want is AM/FM, put your money into an antenna or two... and a vintage tuner. The Godar antennas work well if space is a problem.

The Sony is a nice radio if you want portable... but you are paying for shortwave reception. I do not know the G5. I do have a Sangean ATS606 which I think is a nice portable on AM and FM, with an excellent speaker for its size.

The GE Super Radio III used to be commonly recommended for AM and FM. In busy urban areas, they pick up almost too much.

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 4
The Grundig G5 should be the same as the Eton E5 if I'm not mistaken (i.e. basically DE/KA1103 with much better ergonomics). And it's true, one is paying for shortwave reception. If you're after AM/FM only, there are better choices out there. I like the Redsun RP2000/2100, very good FM and AM reception for a portable and a shortwave part that performs really well when used with a selective antenna (otherwise strong signal handling is modest at best); speaker sound is good, too. The GE SRIII reportedly has very good sound and great AM sensitivity but not so good selectivity and seems somewhat cheaply built with not infrequent alignment issues.
For the best in FM reception (and fidelity), a good FM tuner is hard to beat. (Something with good selectivity is, however, more easily obtained over here than in the US, where a less populated band meant that many tuners sold were jobs with two 280 kHz barn door filters in the IF; Onkyo's lesser models were typically sold with two 280 kHz filters in the States/worldwide and three 230 kHz GDT filters in Europe. Conversely, there is no offer comparable to the inexpensive but quite good and moddable Radio Shack yagi over here.)

It might not be the worst idea to specify the intended uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back