Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Nov 13, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #1,066 of 1,526
Hi Ben,

No I have not. I have used TWO FiiO portable amps (not amp/DACs) in the past though, and I definitely think pretty highly of them. Those were the $30 FiiO E6 and later the even better $60 E11k (which later got renamed to the A3). I kept the E11K for a while as the E6 didn't give me quite the power and sound I wanted, but eventually I went on to better devices.

The Q1 Mark 2 appear to be a DAC/amp though for about $100. Honestly, I think you're better off just getting the even better rated AudioQuest DragonFly Black, which is $5 cheaper. Or, if you're willing to spend another $100, then I'd HIGHLY suggest the Red. They are both highly rated and much more portable than the Q1 is. That's my advice, but up to you.

Note: IF you do get the Black or Red, let me know ASAP what brand and model smartphone you have as I will need to let you know which cable adapter to buy to connect it to the either of those devices.

I dono much but one member from headfonia says that fiio q1mark 2 pairs well up with meze 99 Neo and sound more good. Ess dac has that analytical or sterile sound. I know dac is not final thing but its just an opinion

Nov 13, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #1,067 of 1,526
I dono much but one member from headfonia says that fiio q1mark 2 pairs well up with meze 99 Neo and sound more good. Ess dac has that analytical or sterile sound. I know dac is not final thing but its just an opinion

Ok. Well it's up to you. It doesn't seem as well-rated as the Black or Red, but whatever. Still good.

Let me know if you get the Black or Red.

Nov 13, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #1,069 of 1,526
Those Edifier speakers, have, no jokes, the midrange and top bottom of ie800. They miss the bottom end, roll off under about 50 hz or so, like you'd expect from 3" drivers, but man, where they play, they do it well!

I had lots of speakers in this and higher price range and nothing comes close. Currently planning to get another edifier to see if it is their drivers that work like this, or if this pair is like a golden something something

Nov 13, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #1,070 of 1,526
You guys might like this, check out Edifier Luna Eclipse speakers. Very cheap in most places in the world, very very worthy of consideration.

I am not paid for this, and I paid for my pair, enjoying them a lot currently

Thanks George. I just got bookshelf speakers for my computer within the last year. Nothing fancy like these, but got the like $40-$50 Logitech ones. They look pretty nice though! Congrats! I'm sure they sound much better than my Logitech ones. lol I only really use 'em for random stuff on the computer, not really for music listening. I also have a surround sound system I use for when watching TV.

Nov 13, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #1,071 of 1,526
Thanks George. I just got bookshelf speakers for my computer within the last year. Nothing fancy like these, but got the like $40-$50 Logitech ones. They look pretty nice though! Congrats! I'm sure they sound much better than my Logitech ones. lol I only really use 'em for random stuff on the computer, not really for music listening. I also have a surround sound system I use for when watching TV.

No worries!

At the 150$ they cost, they pack way more punch than I imagined they will. I just wanted better speakers than my laptop\s built-in.

Nov 13, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #1,072 of 1,526
Those Edifier speakers, have, no jokes, the midrange and top bottom of ie800. They miss the bottom end, roll off under about 50 hz or so, like you'd expect from 3" drivers, but man, where they play, they do it well!

I had lots of speakers in this and higher price range and nothing comes close. Currently planning to get another edifier to see if it is their drivers that work like this, or if this pair is like a golden something something

Nice!

My surround sound setup in my living room consists of the Denon AVR-1612 receiver and the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker system (they are owned by Klipsch). I'm EXTREMELY happy with this setup and it's never let me down. Just gotta keep the receiver well ventilated or else it overheats, but that just means don't put it in a TOTALLY enclosed area. The speakers look great whether you leave the cover on them or not.

Nov 13, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #1,073 of 1,526
Nice!

My surround sound setup in my living room consists of the Denon AVR-1612 receiver and the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker system (they are owned by Klipsch). I'm EXTREMELY happy with this setup and it's never let me down. Just gotta keep the receiver well ventilated or else it overheats, but that just means don't put it in a TOTALLY enclosed area. The speakers look great whether you leave the cover on them or not.

Ooooo, that is a beautiful 5.1~

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #1,074 of 1,526
Well not might, it's just NOT on display yet. lol But my guess is within the next few weeks it will be. That's why I will check back at that Best Buy again prob the weekend of Thanksgiving or around then.

So any thoughts about getting either the XZP or XZ1 given this new info?

One thing I should note is that Phone Arena and GSM Arena seem to have conflicting data regarding the battery life of the XZP vs. XZ1 vs. the LG V30. This is probably b/c both sites have different ways of rating battery life. GSM Arena leaves the phone on for like a day and only uses it for a few hours, while Phone Arena does this: "We measure battery life by running a custom web-script, designed to replicate the power consumption of typical real-life usage. All devices that go through the test have their displays set at 200-nit brightness." Both say that the V30 has the best battery life, but disagree on the XZP's vs. the XZ1's. GSM says the XZ1 has the better battery life, while Phone Arena says the XZP's is superior. So I guess if you don't make the screen too bright and turn off unnecessary stuff like BT, NFC, keep Location on "Battery Saving" when not using GPS, and turn off Wi-Fi when you don't need it, either Xperia phone will prob go for a LONG time!

One thing I just realized though..............since Sony did not certify VoLTE with T-Mobile on the XZP, I'm wondering if you can actually use it on their network still? I'm thinking no now, so aertus I guess I wouldn't blame you if you didn't wanna get it. But for people who have other GSM carriers like AT&T, it should still be fine. The XZ1 is SUPPOSED to be certified, but even on that one I'm not sure. Sony made this really confusing when ONCE AGAIN they didn't have to.

That's all very cool! Yeah I hope JDI gets done perfecting the OLED screens soon so Sony can start using them on their 2018 flagship Xperia phones.

UPDATE:

aertus,

Forget what I said about not having VoLTE with T-Mo on the XZP. Read posts #195 & #196 pronto! Apparently, if you have the dual-SIM XZP (either U.S. or int'l version) and T-Mobile, if you do the flash stuff I mentioned earlier, you will 100% get VoLTE, Wi-Fi Calling AND the FS enabled!!!!!!!!!!! I have no idea why the VoLTE function would work since Sony never certified it with T-Mobile for the XZP, yet ppl are somehow still getting it! I am in shock that this is actually working. If anyone reading this has T-Mobile and wants the Sony Xperia XZ Premium, then you are in luck! See my earlier post for more info on how to flash the phone, which I guess isn't too hard.

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #1,075 of 1,526
Well not might, it's just NOT on display yet. lol But my guess is within the next few weeks it will be. That's why I will check back at that Best Buy again prob the weekend of Thanksgiving or around then.

So any thoughts about getting either the XZP or XZ1 given this new info?

One thing I should note is that Phone Arena and GSM Arena seem to have conflicting data regarding the battery life of the XZP vs. XZ1 vs. the LG V30. This is probably b/c both sites have different ways of rating battery life. GSM Arena leaves the phone on for like a day and only uses it for a few hours, while Phone Arena does this: "We measure battery life by running a custom web-script, designed to replicate the power consumption of typical real-life usage. All devices that go through the test have their displays set at 200-nit brightness." Both say that the V30 has the best battery life, but disagree on the XZP's vs. the XZ1's. GSM says the XZ1 has the better battery life, while Phone Arena says the XZP's is superior. So I guess if you don't make the screen too bright and turn off unnecessary stuff like BT, NFC, keep Location on "Battery Saving" when not using GPS, and turn off Wi-Fi when you don't need it, either Xperia phone will prob go for a LONG time!

One thing I just realized though..............since Sony did not certify VoLTE with T-Mobile on the XZP, I'm wondering if you can actually use it on their network still? I'm thinking no now, so aertus I guess I wouldn't blame you if you didn't wanna get it. But for people who have other GSM carriers like AT&T, it should still be fine. The XZ1 is SUPPOSED to be certified, but even on that one I'm not sure. Sony made this really confusing when ONCE AGAIN they didn't have to.

That's all very cool! Yeah I hope JDI gets done perfecting the OLED screens soon so Sony can start using them on their 2018 flagship Xperia phones.
you can go wrong with either phone really and i think orea just increased the XZp's battery life.

in terms of display because the 1080p is easier to make and requires less energy power each pixel since thers is less, the XZ1 is more bright as a result compared to the XZP. its also one of the most accurate displays in terms of display white. Which maybe the XZP is not as well.

xz1 is probably a better screen in just normal 1080p. But maybe when you watch 4k the XZP is better. you can't go wrong. i might get the xz1 and wait for new 4k screen they might perfect it even further at next MWC

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #1,076 of 1,526
you can go wrong with either phone really and i think orea just increased the XZp's battery life.

in terms of display because the 1080p is easier to make and requires less energy power each pixel since thers is less, the XZ1 is more bright as a result compared to the XZP. its also one of the most accurate displays in terms of display white. Which maybe the XZP is not as well.

xz1 is probably a better screen in just normal 1080p. But maybe when you watch 4k the XZP is better. you can't go wrong. i might get the xz1 and wait for new 4k screen they might perfect it even further at next MWC

The XZP got Oreo already? You sure?

How do you know the XZP's whites aren't accurate? I'd take the XZP's screen over the XZ1's anyday man. lol

Yeah maybe in normal 1080p, but "maybe when you watch 4K the XZP is better"? Is that a joke? Of course it's gonna be better! lol

Alright whatever. If the LG V30 didn't exist, I'm pretty sure I'd be upgrading to the XZP given all this new info. I'm still in shock that even though Sony Mobile didn't certify VoLTE with T-Mobile that ppl are able to utilize VoLTE on it anyway on T-Mo's network. And AT&T customers DON'T get VoLTE!! It makes no sense!! lol

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #1,077 of 1,526
The XZP got Oreo already? You sure?

How do you know the XZP's whites aren't accurate? I'd take the XZP's screen over the XZ1's anyday man. lol

Yeah maybe in normal 1080p, but "maybe when you watch 4K the XZP is better"? Is that a joke? Of course it's gonna be better! lol

Alright whatever. If the LG V30 didn't exist, I'm pretty sure I'd be upgrading to the XZP given all this new info. I'm still in shock that even though Sony Mobile didn't certify VoLTE with T-Mobile that ppl are able to utilize VoLTE on it anyway on T-Mo's network. And AT&T customers DON'T get VoLTE!! It makes no sense!! lol
btw i forgot to mention this when it comes to phoneanrea and gsm. Im not saying this is always true but GSM is definitely the superior website when it comes to any kind of review or testing. I find them to be better and more objective than phonearena. GSM is the best and their battery method i would rely more on that.

and people are saying they are getting 6-7 on screen on time with the XZ1. http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/1...mium-getting-android-8-0-oreo-starting-today/ its already known XZP got oreo and its even in videos too. GSM needs to do a retest of the XZP now that it has oreo.

the xz1 is accurate cuz its newer and you can see it on testing etc. You can't go wrong with either one tbh and it would be difficult for me as well to pick which one i want.

Does doing all of the things you mentione din getting VOLTE and FPS void the warranty?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #1,078 of 1,526
btw i forgot to mention this when it comes to phoneanrea and gsm. Im not saying this is always true but GSM is definitely the superior website when it comes to any kind of review or testing. I find them to be better and more objective than phonearena. GSM is the best and their battery method i would rely more on that.

and people are saying they are getting 6-7 on screen on time with the XZ1. http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/1...mium-getting-android-8-0-oreo-starting-today/ its already known XZP got oreo and its even in videos too. GSM needs to do a retest of the XZP now that it has oreo.

the xz1 is accurate cuz its newer and you can see it on testing etc. You can't go wrong with either one tbh and it would be difficult for me as well to pick which one i want.

Does doing all of the things you mentione din getting VOLTE and FPS void the warranty?

Yeah I agree. Phone Arena isn't as good. I'm sure you could just use Stamina Mode on the XZP or XZ1 to get even better battery life if needed.

Well what's the on screen time in hours for the XZP then?? And is that pre or post-Oreo?

Ok nice on XZP already having Oreo!

I would LOVE IT if GSM did a retest. lol

Not for me. I'd go with the XZP all the way since you get VoLTE on T-Mo with it, where with the XZ1 you (currently) do NOT. Plus the better screen. Both are 16:9, so no advantage there either with the XZ1. XZP looks cooler and it's 4K HDR screen makes it superior.

Probably, but that's nothing new. I always knew that doing that stuff would void the warranty, unless maybe it was an HTC phone. lol To me it's more than worth it b/c I'd be getting private phone insurance anyway if I was worried about something happening to the phone. I already got a new policy set up on my LG V30 b/c the company I use charges LESS per month than T-Mo/Assurance charges anyway (just choose the 1-Year then monthly pay option). The company I use is Worth Ave. Group. Used them on my HTC 10 as well. They charge like $7-$8/mo (based on phone's starting price) and yes they DO cover theft (see chart on that page). Guy on XDA says it doesn't matter which XZP you get (U.S. or Int'l), but the Dual-SIM is more likely to work. (I'd only buy the Dual-SIM anyway cuz I need the extra slot for my MicroSD card which holds ALL my music.) Since it doesn't matter, best XZP to get is the Int'l Dual-SIM one on Amazon (which doesn't come with a warranty anyway cuz it's the Int'l version and is cheaper than the U.S. version too). I think the DeepSea Black color is the best since I saw it in person. Chrome one would be my 2nd choice. Insurance on that one would be only be like $6-$7/mo.

Well there ya go. Up to you now. lol

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #1,079 of 1,526
Yeah I agree. Phone Arena isn't as good. I'm sure you could just use Stamina Mode on the XZP or XZ1 to get even better battery life if needed.

Well what's the on screen time in hours for the XZP then?? And is that pre or post-Oreo?

Ok nice on XZP already having Oreo!

I would LOVE IT if GSM did a retest. lol

Not for me. I'd go with the XZP all the way since you get VoLTE on T-Mo with it, where with the XZ1 you (currently) do NOT. Plus the better screen. Both are 16:9, so no advantage there either with the XZ1. XZP looks cooler and it's 4K HDR screen makes it superior.

Probably, but that's nothing new. I always knew that doing that stuff would void the warranty, unless maybe it was an HTC phone. lol To me it's more than worth it b/c I'd be getting private phone insurance anyway if I was worried about something happening to the phone. I already got a new policy set up on my LG V30 b/c the company I use charges LESS per month than T-Mo/Assurance charges anyway (just choose the 1-Year then monthly pay option). The company I use is Worth Ave. Group. Used them on my HTC 10 as well. They charge like $7-$8/mo (based on phone's starting price) and yes they DO cover theft (see chart on that page). Guy on XDA says it doesn't matter which XZP you get (U.S. or Int'l), but the Dual-SIM is more likely to work. (I'd only buy the Dual-SIM anyway cuz I need the extra slot for my MicroSD card which holds ALL my music.) Since it doesn't matter, best XZP to get is the Int'l Dual-SIM one on Amazon (which doesn't come with a warranty anyway cuz it's the Int'l version and is cheaper than the U.S. version too). I think the DeepSea Black color is the best since I saw it in person. Chrome one would be my 2nd choice. Insurance on that one would be only be like $6-$7/mo.

Well there ya go. Up to you now. lol
i know someone who got the XZP INTernational version on amazon from a hong kong seller and apparently he said his warranty is through that seller so if something is wrong he just sends it back to them. i forgot to ask more about it though not sure how legit that is.

yeah the XZP is definitely more appealing to me but i do like the metal back and the better form factor of the XZ1 over the XZP. I don't think you can go wrong. As far as FPS and VOLTE i avoided doing that on my Sony X because i just dont feel like going through that hassle.

okay watch this

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #1,080 of 1,526
i know someone who got the XZP INTernational version on amazon from a hong kong seller and apparently he said his warranty is through that seller so if something is wrong he just sends it back to them. i forgot to ask more about it though not sure how legit that is.

yeah the XZP is definitely more appealing to me but i do like the metal back and the better form factor of the XZ1 over the XZP. I don't think you can go wrong. As far as FPS and VOLTE i avoided doing that on my Sony X because i just dont feel like going through that hassle.

okay watch this

Wow! Fantastic video aertus! Thanks for sharing. That's awesome............30% bump in day-to-day battery life, and a bump in volume as well! He never specifies headphone volume in the video, HOWEVER, someone in the comments asked and he responded:

AndreiSmantana1 hour ago
Hi MrWalker1000. Personally i noticed an increase in volume everywhere (speakers, headphone jack, bluetooth headphones). I feel like Sony listened well and addressed most of the issues. :L3000::L3000: lol

So I guess buying the XZP WILL NO LONGER require a portable amp then it seems! (Although, I'd still have to judge for myself to be sure, but it sounds unlikely fortunately.)

Really? That's cool, but yeah, I'd question it too. I prefer to buy from American vendors whenever possible.

Initially I would've agreed with you, and yes, given that I have yet to see the XZ1 in person, things may change, but I highly doubt it. I'm putting my V30 in either a sleeve case or a flip case (still deciding which one to keep), so I don't really care much anymore about metal or glass bodies, just on which one looks cooler. lol But now I'd go with XZP 100%. There's too much in favor of it vs. the XZ1. If I can use the phone like "all day" and still have 50%-60% battery life at night, that's tremendous. That's like what I get now from my V30 (and it doesn't even have Oreo, yet! lol), so to have that with the XZP or even close makes it much more worth it. Plus of course the volume bump. Yeah the XZ1 will prob get a battery and volume bump too with Oreo, but it sounds like the XZP will be more than sufficient now that it's got Oreo.

Yeah but from what I'm reading on those XDA posts I linked you, it seems easier these days than it used to do that flashing stuff. The second program/tool I guess you use it to download the XZ1 C custom mod file for the XZP and it installs it for you. My ONE question though is regarding the whole having to unlock the bootloader thing. In the past, doing this meant permanently messing up your Xperia phone camera where it wouldn't take great pics anymore. To the best of your knowledge, has this issue been fixed? Or does it still happen? I'm guessing it's been fixed but not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back