Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Jan 5, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #31 of 1,526
  it does this by taking the photos with a lower exposure than normal which allows it to extract more detail. Low light performance suffers because of this, and the colors are no longer accurate, they have the same if not more saturation than samsung now. But under the right circumstances and lighting can look really good

The xperia does not have as fast of an auto focus, that is just fact. The s7 uses a full phase detection only camera in every pixel unlike sony which uses a combination of both contrast and phase detection. Samsung markets this as "dual pixel" but I really hate this word since it is made up just for marketing, the 6p has the best color accuracy on a objective basis. Sony isn't bad but to let your company preference decide which is more accurate really isn't the best for debate

nah. Low light performance suffers because auto mode usually cranks up ISO to very high levels. If you decrease the ISO and increase exposure you get good results. 

Dxomark ranks sony highly in terms of color accuracy above any other major manufacturer including the 6p which does not rank high for color accuracy. It also ranks Sony the highest in autofocus as well. 

You do realize sony came up with the technology right? lol

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #32 of 1,526
  nah. Low light performance suffers because auto mode usually cranks up ISO to very high levels. If you decrease the ISO and increase exposure you get good results. 

Dxomark ranks sony highly in terms of color accuracy above any other major manufacturer including the 6p which does not rank high for color accuracy. It also ranks Sony the highest in autofocus as well. 

You do realize sony came up with the technology right? lol

you kind of just explained why the low light performance of the pixel suffered while proving my point. The reason why the ISO is so high is because the exposure is low for the sake of dynamic range, explained by google themselves....

I don't use dxomark as the end all for everything, they really are just one source and the whole 1 point better than another phone system is really skewed. I actually prefer looking at images myself and judging vs the real life subject rather than having dxomark think for me. 

What does sony coming up with the technology have anything to do with this? The samsung phone uses a sony sensor, I'm FULLY aware of this, no need to defend sony so closely just because I remain objective of another company. I'm not a samsung fanboy, in fact I'm the complete opposite. I still like to remain objective whether or not I dislike a company

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #33 of 1,526
  you kind of just explained why the low light performance of the pixel suffered while proving my point. The reason why the ISO is so high is because the exposure is low for the sake of dynamic range, explained by google themselves....

I don't use dxomark as the end all for everything, they really are just one source and the whole 1 point better than another phone system is really skewed. I actually prefer looking at images myself and judging vs the real life subject rather than having dxomark think for me. 

What does sony coming up with the technology have anything to do with this? The samsung phone uses a sony sensor, I'm FULLY aware of this, no need to defend sony so closely just because I remain objective of another company. I'm not a samsung fanboy, in fact I'm the complete opposite. I still like to remain objective whether or not I dislike a company

The DxOMark score is fine but the problem is it's almost TOO widespread. There's no f'ing way the 10, S7 & XP have the same quality camera, yet ALL 3 got an 88 overall score on DXO. The score figures in EVERYTHING, when all most ppl care about is how sharp the pictures look, and maybe color accuracy second. So yeah, the best way to judge is to see all the pics yourself and reach your own conclusion. 

F Samsung. hahahahhaa!!! (I never get tired of typing that. lol) 

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #34 of 1,526

The DxOMark score is fine but the problem is it's almost TOO widespread. There's no f'ing way the 10, S7 & XP have the same quality camera, yet ALL 3 got an 88 overall score on DXO. The score figures in EVERYTHING, when all most ppl care about is how sharp the pictures look, and maybe color accuracy second. So yeah, the best way to judge is to see all the pics yourself and reach your own conclusion. 

F Samsung. hahahahhaa!!! (I never get tired of typing that. lol) 

F Samsung!!!! lmao

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #35 of 1,526
  F Samsung!!!! lmao

ROFLLLLLLL!!!!!!!! 
darthsmile.gif

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #36 of 1,526

I agree with you. It's not the all end but for now I'd say they are a reliable source much more so than what pocketnow or android authority will tell you.  The score is derived by averaging out the video and photo together. what you really want to do is look at the individual scores themselves in the photo subcategory which will give you a better picture of what the strengths and weaknesses are. And when you look at the individual scores you can see it ranks high in all the areas you mentioned. 

And you can double check this with videos online and I have a z3 myself so i can speak from experience I'm not being a fanboy sometimes the auto mode in sony pisses me off. But they have improved a lot in that area and the z5 is proof of that. Not to mention the XZ color sensor will make even more accurate colors. But yeah all the things that they rank Sony high on reflect real life usage.

What pisses me off about DXO though is their unwillingness to test nokia lumia phones and it took them forever to test all other phones but they tested pixel before it even came out. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #37 of 1,526
  I agree with you. It's not the all end but for now I'd say they are a reliable source much more so than what pocketnow or android authority will tell you.  The score is derived by averaging out the video and photo together. what you really want to do is look at the individual scores themselves in the photo subcategory which will give you a better picture of what the strengths and weaknesses are. And when you look at the individual scores you can see it ranks high in all the areas you mentioned. 

And you can double check this with videos online and I have a z3 myself so i can speak from experience I'm not being a fanboy sometimes the auto mode in sony pisses me off. But they have improved a lot in that area and the z5 is proof of that. Not to mention the XZ color sensor will make even more accurate colors. But yeah all the things that they rank Sony high on reflect real life usage.

What pisses me off about DXO though is their unwillingness to test nokia lumia phones and it took them forever to test all other phones but they tested pixel before it even came out. 

I agree aertus, but the problem most ppl just look at the overall score and move on. We know better, but most don't. lol

Yeah, the auto mode on my XP is DEF better than my Z3's was. I really only used Manual Mode on my Z3 to get great pics. But on XP I'm on Auto like 99% of the time. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #38 of 1,526

I think the lumia 1020 is the most overrated camera on a smartphone to have ever existed. People bash samsung for oversaturated colors but the 1020 was the worst offender with the most saturated and high contrast photos. The 41 megapickles was really depressing since the large sensor was wasted for a bunch of small megapickles no different than a traditional small sensor. The 950 was pretty solid though but still suffered in low light

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #39 of 1,526
  I think the lumia 1020 is the most overrated camera on a smartphone to have ever existed. People bash samsung for oversaturated colors but the 1020 was the worst offender with the most saturated and high contrast photos. The 41 megapickles was really depressing since the large sensor was wasted for a bunch of small megapickles no different than a traditional small sensor. The 950 was pretty solid though but still suffered in low light

i was more curious on the 950 and 930 never really cared for 1020 though. 

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #41 of 1,526
New Sony Mobile article here

Funny how during the time period when the Xperia phones were being sold THROUGH U.S. CARRIERS was when they had their biggest sales. Sony Mobile needs to take note of such things and quit screwin' around with the whole "unlocked phones only" BS mentality. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #43 of 1,526
  Sony just created a brand new camera sensor. Looks wicked

ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lmao.
I already pmed ya, but it's just a high speed buffer, and unlike most mobile cameras that use the phones NAND for buffer, using ram like a professional camera allows larger and faster access times so we aren't limited by the DSP processing time. The sensor itself is pretty much the same though

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #44 of 1,526
  ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lmao.
I already pmed ya, but it's just a high speed buffer, and unlike most mobile cameras that use the phones NAND for buffer, using ram like a professional camera allows larger and faster access times so we aren't limited by the DSP processing time. The sensor itself is pretty much the same though

Well I STILL like it! Even if it isn't a major improvement. lol 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back