Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Dec 31, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 1,526

Think that would work fine with the K553 Pro?

Hi B9, 

I would reconfirm that with the akg fanboy (I'm sure he'll make an appearance here soon lol), but I would say yes. The sound signatures of the K55X series are exactly the same. The K551 has a SLIGHT difference from the other 3 (K550, K550 MK II, K553), but after reviewing a comparison graph and chart of the K550 vs. K551, I believe the difference to be EXTREMELY negligible. And with that in mind, AKG themselves also ADMITTED that the K550, K550 MK II, and K553 all sound the SAME, so yeah...........go for it! Give it a test run, then please come back here and let us know what you think. 

For a small number of my songs, I have still reverted to using the "Rock" EQ preset in Poweramp (or a variation of it). But for like 98-99% of my music, I'm using this custom one (or a couple variations of it with lowered bass). 

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 1,526
From my understanding, the k553 has some dialed back treble so it is really a mids focused headphone, it should be closer to the k545 from what I have read. The EQ would work but I would only dial back the treble section if that particularly bothered you

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 1,526

Hi B9, 

I would reconfirm that with the akg fanboy (I'm sure he'll make an appearance here soon lol), but I would say yes. The sound signatures of the K55X series are exactly the same. The K551 has a SLIGHT difference from the other 3 (K550, K550 MK II, K553), but after reviewing a comparison graph and chart of the K550 vs. K551, I believe the difference to be EXTREMELY negligible. And with that in mind, AKG themselves also ADMITTED that the K550, K550 MK II, and K553 all sound the SAME, so yeah...........go for it! Give it a test run, then please come back here and let us know what you think. 

For a small number of my songs, I have still reverted to using the "Rock" EQ preset in Poweramp (or a variation of it). But for like 98-99% of my music, I'm using this custom one (or a couple variations of it with lowered bass). 

Thanks man! I figured it should be fine but since there are so many comments floating around about the various 55x models being the same/different/etc. some additional clarification felt necessary. 

When I get the chance I'll try that EQ and report in. Great thread idea btw.

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 1,526
  From my understanding, the k553 has some dialed back treble so it is really a mids focused headphone, it should be closer to the k545 from what I have read. The EQ would work but I would only dial back the treble section if that particularly bothered you

Works for me. I enjoy the treble so that'll stay as it is. Lack of sub-bass is really the only thing that didn't click with me and the 553. Everything else, however? Grande.

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 1,526

Works for me. I enjoy the treble so that'll stay as it. Lack of sub-bass is really the only thing that didn't click with me and the 553. Everything else, however? Grande.

Yep, that was the same issue for me with the k551 but the k551 has a more sparkly treble compared to the k553 so you won't need to mess with that. Good to see that you like it

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 1,526

Thanks man! I figured it should be fine but since there are so many comments floating around about the various 55x models being the same/different/etc. some additional clarification felt necessary. 

When I get the chance I'll try that EQ and report in. Great thread idea btw.

You're quite welcome! Yeah it's always good to make sure!!

Yes please do! Thanks. It was basically just me trying to keep things organized. lol

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #11 of 1,526
  Interesting results here on sound quality/volume of 2016 flagship phones. Overall, it seems clear the HTC 10 is the winner. And there isn't as much of a difference for headphones power output b/t the HTC 10 and the LG V20 as I'd thought there'd be. 

I was getting suspicious thinking they stole the info from android authority, especially when I saw the watermarks on the pictures..... then I saw it was flipboard lol. Pretty weird to see the droid having the most output power, and nice to see the axon can output more volume than the lg v20

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #12 of 1,526
  I was getting suspicious thinking they stole the info from android authority, especially when I saw the watermarks on the pictures..... then I saw it was flipboard lol. Pretty weird to see the droid having the most output power, and nice to see the axon can output more volume than the lg v20

Well, the info IS from Android Authority. lol Flipboard just likes to collect various articles and slap their name on them basically. lol At the top it does say Android Authority. lol But since I never saw the original one, I at least saw this one. 

Yeah but the Axon has the highest noise floor, so I dunno. Yeah Moto Droid is impressive with 1.45 volts. I wonder if for V20's output they used Normal, Aux/External Device Detected, or High Impedance mode to measure it? Wish they'd said that. They should've used HIM since that's the most powerful of the 3, with Aux being 2nd. 

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 1,526
Just started this thread on the upcoming HTC 11 (aka "Ocean"). Already got some good "insider" info on the Ocean Note (phablet) version, which should give a STRONG indication about the other 2 models as well; those being the Ocean Smart (mid-ranger) and the one I'll prob get, the Ocean Master (main 5.2" flagship). Check it out here

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #14 of 1,526

Well, the info IS from Android Authority. lol Flipboard just likes to collect various articles and slap their name on them basically. lol At the top it does say Android Authority. lol But since I never saw the original one, I at least saw this one. 

Yeah but the Axon has the highest noise floor, so I dunno. Yeah Moto Droid is impressive with 1.45 volts. I wonder if for V20's output they used Normal, Aux/External Device Detected, or High Impedance mode to measure it? Wish they'd said that. They should've used HIM since that's the most powerful of the 3, with Aux being 2nd. 

Just started this thread on the upcoming HTC 11 (aka "Ocean"). Already got some good "insider" info on the Ocean Note (phablet) version, which should give a STRONG indication about the other 2 models as well; those being the Ocean Smart (mid-ranger) and the one I'll prob get, the Ocean Master (main 5.2" flagship). Check it out here

Yeah I just scroll down for the info rather than reading the whole article, I used to use flipboard back in 2013 when it was preinstalled on my phone, now I use an rss reader which allows me to control exactly what I want to see and not miss any potentially good articles.

The max dynamic range of a 16 bit is 96db anyways which is beyond our hearing, the htc is going to 16 bit dithering levels (120db max) which is pretty impressive on paper.
IF the htc is available only in 1 model and only as a phablet..... would you still get it? CES is in a few days so we are pretty close to seeing everything anyways, the lg g6 will literally have the same design though, just changed for a metal unibody

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #15 of 1,526

Yeah I just scroll down for the info rather than reading the whole article, I used to use flipboard back in 2013 when it was preinstalled on my phone, now I use an rss reader which allows me to control exactly what I want to see and not miss any potentially good articles.

The max dynamic range of a 16 bit is 96db anyways which is beyond our hearing, the htc is going to 16 bit dithering levels (120db max) which is pretty impressive on paper.
IF the htc is available only in 1 model and only as a phablet..... would you still get it? CES is in a few days so we are pretty close to seeing everything anyways, the lg g6 will literally have the same design though, just changed for a metal unibody

I basically do the same. More like SKIMMING the whole thing, but I do read articles too. Just depends. 

Nice. I'm a Flipboard FIEND. lol I'm on that like 4-5 times a day. lol It's basically the same thing. I choose the topics I want, and it displays fresh new articles related to those topics several times a day. I love it! I also go on IGN somewhat often too. I really like their reviews. Very "on-point" the way Ebert's movie reviews were better than all the rest before he passed on. I like also that I can scroll down in IGN reviews to see the "rating score" they gave on something (Scale of 1-10). 

I dunno, I might? MAYBE. But I said that about the LG V20 and I still didn't get it. lol Though the screen is good on the V20, my cousin said the camera is "good but not consistent". If this stuff they're saying about the HTC 11 having an even better overall DxOMark camera score than the Google Pixel is true, that makes it hard to ignore. HOWEVER, everything I'm reading is saying that there will be THREE Ocean phones, not just 1. So it's highly unlikely that the Note will be the only good one. As long as they use Snapdragon and not MediaTek (keep that MediaTek cr*p for the mid-ranger "Ocean Smart" lol), then I'm open to it. Still waiting to hear on the speaker placement too. But see that thread I just posted for more GREAT info. Like ceramic body, "bump" on the back camera, etc. 

Yeah I'll be open to the G6 too, but since HTC is claiming BEST camera and it'll have a bump (I assume all 3 will have the bump), then I have faith in them. I mean, they ARE using Sony's camera sensors. 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back