Sony headphones
Jun 14, 2005 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

a1rocketpilot

500+ Head-Fier
I am once again in the market for good phones, this time with a budget of $200. As far as sources go, it will mainly be out of my PC Audigy 2 and my portable Creative Zen Xtra. I've been reading some good stuff on here about various Sony phones and after deliberation, I've settled on either the MDR-F1 or the SA3000. However, I am stuck here. Does anyone have any comparisons of the two or any info to sway me in either direction?

Jun 14, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 7
Unfortunately, both of those headphones that you're looking at are relatively inefficient compared to other Sony headphones - and the F1 is very current-hungry, as well. An amp is required for both of those headphones; you'd end up turning up the volume of your Zen Xtra all or most of the way up to maximum just to hear much out of either 'phone.

Jun 14, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 7
The F1 is dark compared to sa3k which is supposed to be very bright and detailed like its siblings.

btw where can you get the F1 at a nice price at the moment?

Jun 14, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot
I am once again in the market for good phones, this time with a budget of $200. As far as sources go, it will mainly be out of my PC Audigy 2 and my portable Creative Zen Xtra. I've been reading some good stuff on here about various Sony phones and after deliberation, I've settled on either the MDR-F1 or the SA3000. However, I am stuck here. Does anyone have any comparisons of the two or any info to sway me in either direction?

Are you only considering Sony headphones?

Jun 14, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 7
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am going to be using a CMoy with them, would that be inadequate? I've found the F1 on Audiocubes for 200 and the SA3000 on Amazon for 200 as well. I also was briefly looking at the Beyer DT770-80 after hearing them, but I think it may be a bit too uneven for my tastes, though I do like bass to be present, but just not overpowering.

Jun 14, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 7
For an extra $40, you can get the Beyer DT880 shipped from B&H Photo. And these have an excellently balanced sound, that gets even more impressive when amped. You will absolutely need an amp to get the most out of this headphone.

The Sennheiser HD 600 refurbed is under $200 at Amazon, I believe, and that I believe has a better bass thump than the aforementioned Beyers. I've also heard good things about the AKG 501, which can be found online within your price range.

$200 can get you some pretty good cans, lol.

Jun 14, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 7
I saw those refurbed Sennheisers, thing is, I dont much like its laid back sound. I have a pair of SR-60's and I love the upfront, detailed sound, but I dont like the lack of soundstage. This is where my debate lies with the F1's. I hear they have a terrific sound stage, but because of their design, they aren't as detailed and lose a bit on the low end. Sound and comfort wise, how does it compare to the SA3000 or the DT880's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back