SONY HEADPHONES OF THE PAST&PRESENT, BASS, SOUNDSTAGE
Jan 5, 2015 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nofarewell

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All, 

I'm interested in your opinion about old Sony headphones in terms of their sound. Is the original CD900 purchaseable btw? I'm really interested in that 40 mm diamond coated diaphragm.
I will choose a headphone in a couple of months and I would prefer Sony for the matter - but I need some advices. I'm searching for that MDR-E484 sound - rich, audiophile bass (deepness instead of silly distorted bass) and clarity -  of course extended in a headphone version. Do any old or new Sony headphones can meet this requirement? Maybe other trades? What's your opinion about the V6/V7 /related models? 
Thanks in advance! :)

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #2 of 7
a report on the "anyone-ever-listened-to-the-original-sony-mdr-cd900-from-the-80s" thread with the old MDR-CD900 and the MDR-CD900ST headphones in juxtaposition would have been interesting, had anyone produced one.

my favorite sounding headphones, ever, ever, are the discontinued sony MDR-XB1000.
the MDR-XB1000's are even enjoyable on an iphone w/o amp.

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 7
In terms of clarity and soundstage, check out the MDR-F1

They also have a nice bass texture, but they're definitely not bassy headphones.

They are, however, the most comfortable of all my headphones, and possibly the most comfortable headphone I have ever tried.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks guys for your replies so far !

These are must be quality headphones, but seem to be a bit pricy to me wallet. :)
I read "anyone-ever-listened-to-the-original-sony-mdr-cd900-from-the-80s" - nice thread but seemed a bit short.
I'm interested in those studio headphones which were started by cd900 mainly - of course if another type seems better,
I will choose that. I've read nice things about the V7, but it doesn't seem to be found anywhere.

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 7
While on the same subject...

Does anyone know whether there's a definitive list of all of Sony's headphones throughout the years? that would be worthwhile compiling if anyone has the time...

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 7
  There's a website where there are earphones/buds and headphones as well:
http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/SONY/sonyindex.html

There are some others as well, mostly written in Japanese/Thai.

awesome find.
very inclusive information resource of headphones manufactured up to the year 2000.
parent directory here for all manufacturers including the one nofarewell found:
http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/list.html
whoever did this site even went to the trouble of including pdf scans of old catalogues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back