SONY headphones? Hi I'm new to high end audio and headphones
Sep 8, 2009 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

gold5225

New Head-Fier
I'm 16 and I recently bought a pair of Sony MDR-XB500 headphones for $79.99 and I really like how good the Bass is and great they sound and how comfortable they are but afterwards I realized the world of High end audio headphones.

I was wondering does Sony have a really good high end headphone and are the MDR-500s and 700s good headphones?

I also recently discovered the DJ and stereo head phones they sell, What kind of Sony head phones would you recommend?

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why only sony?

the mdr-v6 is great from what i've read

Im kind of a Sony Fan Boy lol with most of their other electronics equipment

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 55
There's no reason to limit yourself to sony headphones.

Headphone plugs are pretty standardized unlike some of sony's other products.
wink.gif
and you might like how some of the more specialized headphone brands sound.

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll learn.

X2

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by gold5225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im kind of a Sony Fan Boy lol with most of their other electronics equipment

Team SONY!!! join us now
L3000.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #13 of 55
A lot of these so-called 'audiophiles' will turn there noses up to Sony, personally I love Sony; I have never had a piece of Sony equipment die on me, and that includes a mini-disc player from the early 90s.

To answer your question; The Sony MDR-XB500 have the best bass I've heard in a Sony headphone, any headphone at all for that matter, you will be hard pressed to find something better. Sony SA5000 would be there 'audiophile range', this simply means less bass and more detailed mids and that comes with a price tag. You could try and find the discontinued Sony MDR-CD3000, I've heard nothing but positive things about those however at over $1000 used not everyone can afford to hear them. Same can be said for the Sony QUALIA headphones, ridiculously expensive.

If you listen to electronica/techno/trance you name it stick with the XB500s, R&B and hiphop then the XB700s might be more to your liking however I found those somewhat muddy.

If your looking to upgrade you could think about a better source/amp/DAC... what do you currently plug your headphones into and whats your music preference?

Oh and welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #14 of 55
Find an MDR-R10 and call it a day
biggrin.gif

besides the top-tier OOP's, i'd forget about Sony. The V6/7506 are nice for live tracking (i have a 7506 that I plug into my video camera), but not very good for music at all, in my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back