Sony HD1 - I LIKE ATRAC3Plus, Should I get A Close-Out for $229?
Jul 6, 2005 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

vranswer

1000+ Head-Fier
ATRAC3Plus doesn't bother me, I have plenty of content ripped in the format and don't mind ripping more. I don't travel any further than the realistic playing time of the DAP, so the cradle issue isn't a problem either. I really like the look of this player and can get one locally (they have three) at Circuit City for clearance $229.96.

Anyone have any feedback?

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 15
what happened to your plan of "going mini.." LOL j/k just giving you crap..
biggrin.gif

I say go for it 229 for 40gigs! Take it i say.

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
what happened to your plan of "going mini.." LOL j/k just giving you crap..
biggrin.gif

I say go for it 229 for 40gigs! Take it i say.

"Tell 'em my motto!!!!" You're outta control!!!
icon10.gif
cool.gif
J/K/2

Anyway, minimal fits perfectly with HD1: it's 20GB, WAY smaller than iPod, and has strong bass. Just fearful of buying a discontinued player.

P.S. I work for Coke, so be kind!

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 15
I pretty much made the same choice as you a little while back (equivalent discounting occurring in Oz atm) and have been very happy with it. One thing worth noting is HDD spinups. If you manually change track all the time it goes from ~25 hours to ~18 hours @ 3+ 64kbps (it probably clears the buffer as well), so well-compiled playlists in "groups" make a difference. It also takes about 2 seconds for the HDD to spin up and the song-list to respond so changing tracks regularly could be frustrating both ways.

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexfoot
I pretty much made the same choice as you a little while back (equivalent discounting occurring in Oz atm) and have been very happy with it. One thing worth noting is HDD spinups. If you manually change track all the time it goes from ~25 hours to ~18 hours @ 3+ 64kbps (it probably clears the buffer as well), so well-compiled playlists in "groups" make a difference. It also takes about 2 seconds for the HDD to spin up and the song-list to respond so changing tracks regularly could be frustrating both ways.

This is good stuff. You can help me. I mostly listen to albums, cherry-picked and listened to in their entirety. ALL of my stuff will be ripped at 256kbps ATRAC3Plus, won't be able to stand anything of lower quality. NO playlists. Will I get 18 hours playback? Anything else that 'bugs' you??

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 15
Well, my friend, the higher number does not necessarily mean the better equipment. Since I'm not worried about mp3 compatibility the HD3 may not be the choice over HD1. Many have noted the better looks and build on HD1, and cradle, etc. I DON'T mind plugging in all the time (the cradle) - so what's better about HD3??

Jul 6, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 15
The HD-3 plays MP3 natively. The HD-1 will re-compress all your MP3 s to ATRAC3. Re-compressing already compressed music = bad sound quality. If you have ZERO MP3s in your collection, either one works.

Jul 6, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #10 of 15
There is an upgrade available to let the NW-HD1 play MP3 native (after importing).
Only, AFAIK, both SQ and batterylife take a hit, so I never took the trouble.
I got the NW-HD1 for about a year now, and I love it.
There are those here who say it's SQ is not very good, but those people listen to amplifiers and expensive headphones.
Use it as its meant to be used, put it in your pocket, use a fine headphone (I prefer the Shure E3, with some EQ) and the thing is really great!
Really pleasant nonfatiguing SQ, detailed and spatial with silky treble, compact, long batterylife, durable (not a single scratch, though I just through it in my pocket or bag without a case) and stylish (slightly better looking then NW-HD3, and a magnesium cases, as opposed to the HD3 alluminium casing).
Before this I had a mini, couldn't stand it! Flat cold sound (appearantly there is a severe bassrollof on the phone-out that causes this) and I became a neurotic batterylevelwatcher, charging every day, as opposed to once a week at most now.
So if you don't mind Atrac, I think the NW-HD1 is a perfect choice (but do backup your library in SS) and it's the best walkman I ever had.

Jul 6, 2005 at 9:24 AM Post #12 of 15
I myself, would never use source music files on my PC on a portable device. I always start all new recordings (currently using Hi-MD's) direct from the CD so everything is equal.

Call me fussy but...

Anyway regardless the Sony HDD players are great devices...and unlike the Apple products they have a user replacable battery.
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #13 of 15
i see you're using e5cs. with less sensitive headphones it would be alright, but if the hd1 hisses like the hd3 does with my e5s, its not worth it. sounds great with an amp, but really annoying without one. you don't need to be an audiophile to notice it. its too bad, there is no hiss with the netmd and hi-md players.

Jul 6, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 15
Two things about the hiss: I also have E4Cs which I may be using more than my E5s these days, and I have slight chronic tinnitus which while occasionally drives me crazy has the beautiful side-effect of canceling out high pitch tones and probably most of the hiss.

Also an update! Checked Circuit City today, and they're now down to $206.96!! Guy there says they'll keep dropping them until some point where they just send 'em back to be re-distributed through clearance centers and such. I'm checking a couple times a week, once it gets below $200...
icon10.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 15
Check out uBid for NW-HD3's...it's a tip. I got one for $177 shipped. There's another one with 800+ units available now (opposed to the 300+ in the one I went in on.) I guarantee that you can get an even better deal than mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back