Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Sep 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #2,551 of 2,773
Hey guys! I was invited by Sony to an event where I got to play with some of the new stuff they launched at IFA, including the MDR-1R MK2 and MDR-10R series.

Full disclosure: I am member of a social media community / customer feedback program in Australia called Sony X that provides members special pricing offers, priority customer support and access to events like these. I am not obligated or even directly encouraged to say anything, positive or negative, about Sony products to be in this program. 
However, having a soft spot for the company and a social media presence is probably why I was accepted to the program in the first place, since I am more likely than average to have something nice to say and people to say it to! Think of this like a press program for Sony fans.

Anyway, the event was very noisy so I unfortunately cannot comment on the sound of anything I heard.

This is a blurry picture of the MDR-1R Mk2. Blurry is okay because the headphone seems physically identical to the MDR-1R MK1, though I would have to have them side by side to be sure. Apparently something has been changed in the driver because the specification for frequency response now goes up to 40,000hz (chyea). You would hope the driver is different because otherwise the MK2 would be exactly the same headphone as the MK1. I listened to it briefly (literally a minute or so) and while it was noisy I can say that it has the same basic character the MK1 did.

Here is the back of the box. Amazingly, I could not find specifications listed on the box!

One thing nice to note is that the MDR-1R MK2 now comes with 3 cables - a standard cable for portable use, a long cable for home use and a smartphone remote cable.

I also got to check out the MDR-10 series. There is now an MDR-10R, RBT, RNC, and also an on-ear MDR-10C(?). The MDR-10R, RBT and RNC are all still over-ear but they are smaller and lighter than the MDR-1R. Build quality is very similar but the MDR-10 series apparently use a different driver material, not the LCP used in the MDR-1R. They are shooting for a lower price point with these. I can report that they are comfortable and light but honestly have no idea about the sound.

This is the on-ear MDR-10.

This is the MDR-10RNC.

Honestly it was difficult to tell any of the MDR-10 series apart because unlike the differences between the MDR-1 series they seemed very similar in form factor.

There should probably be a new thread about some of this gear...

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #2,552 of 2,773
Do you know does the Mk2 still comes in with the silver colour that the mk1 had?

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #2,554 of 2,773
Hey Guys, I tried to do the velour pad mod on the MDR-1R per some suggestions earlier in this thread. I purchased the Auray ones from Amazon that were for the 7506's (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GC7YJ2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but I'm having a hard time I've taken the original pads off, but the replacement pads seem to be too small for the mounting bracket. Anyone have any insight?

EDIT: N/M, I was able to finally get it on the mounting bracket after some work. However, not I can't seem to attach it back on to the headphones. The original pads had holes where the plastic tabs poked through, do I need to do the same and cut out holes on these new ones?

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #2,556 of 2,773
Hey Ashade, I was finally able to do it, what I ended up having to do was cut out little holes/cutouts where the 7 tabs were. It was still hard to try and force it in, and the pads still look slightly small and stretched out over the mount. But definitely more comfortable for long term use. The pleather pads caused me to sweat more. 

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #2,558 of 2,773
  Hey Guys, I tried to do the velour pad mod on the MDR-1R per some suggestions earlier in this thread. I purchased the Auray ones from Amazon that were for the 7506's (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GC7YJ2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but I'm having a hard time I've taken the original pads off, but the replacement pads seem to be too small for the mounting bracket. Anyone have any insight?

EDIT: N/M, I was able to finally get it on the mounting bracket after some work. However, not I can't seem to attach it back on to the headphones. The original pads had holes where the plastic tabs poked through, do I need to do the same and cut out holes on these new ones?

Actually I just ordered the similar pad for my V6 but I ordered the leather pad. Because I see it has about similar pad size to V6 so I try to put it on MDR-1R without no mounting ring so I put earpad direct to the cup.

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #2,562 of 2,773
I just purchased a pair of these, it's still early to tell but I think my Beyerdynamic T-50p sounds a bit better, but the MDR-1r is so ridiculously comfortable, and they look amazing. Definitely a pair of headphones I'd be proud to wear outside.

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #2,563 of 2,773
I'm wondering if the revision 2 fixed some of the issues in the original (revision 1). Things to look for is the wind noise and loose cable connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back