Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Apr 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #2,341 of 2,773
Quote:

OK mine is definitely different.  I have a small buzz that shows up occasionally from the audio in my left cup.  It comes and goes, so I'm wondering if there is something in there that is causing the issue.  I'll have to take off the pad and take a look inside.  

Starting to warm up to the sound of these though, and the comfort is seriously out of this world.  They are even with my HD600s, which I can wear literally all day.  The only comfort weakness they have is inherent to being closed cans, and that is heat, though I haven't had much issue with that as of yet, but I know it will be there when they are worn in a warm environment.  I can see how the mesh could be itchy for some people with more sensitive ears, but my ears touch it and I have no itch issues at all.  

Could be a driver wire, it supposed to be attached to wire holder clip on the cup, could have come loose, I'd put something sticky in there to hold it better, or just dynamat the cup that will kill the resonance altogether.

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #2,342 of 2,773
Quote:
Could be a driver wire, it supposed to be attached to wire holder clip on the cup, could have come loose, I'd put something sticky in there to hold it better, or just dynamat the cup that will kill the resonance altogether.

Perhaps.  It is really odd because it comes and goes.  I opened it up and didn't see anything in there.  I might try the dynamat mod tonight to see what I think about it.  I really want to keep these, they are just so very comfy.

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #2,343 of 2,773
I was able to listen to these for awhile. Nice looking, comfortable. Very mediocre sounding but not offensive. Meh

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #2,344 of 2,773
Quote:
I was able to listen to these for awhile. Nice looking, comfortable. Very mediocre sounding but not offensive. Meh

They really shine with a nice treble boost and some recessed low-mids. Vocals jump out and hi-hats sound much crispier. Instrument seperation also improves because of the lack of the "veiled" sound signature that these have stock.

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #2,345 of 2,773
They really shine with a nice treble boost and some recessed low-mids. Vocals jump out and hi-hats sound much crispier. Instrument seperation also improves because of the lack of the "veiled" sound signature that these have stock.

Same experience here. I use Accudio's parametric EQ and the improvement is massive! I posted my settings a few pages back on this thread.

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #2,346 of 2,773
Quote:

Quote:
Same experience here. I use Accudio's parametric EQ and the improvement is massive! I posted my settings a few pages back on this thread.

Yuck. Nice way to ruin this beautifully mid-centric headphone. A midrange party with just the right amount of bass and treble.

EQ is drugs. For people who cannot handle reality
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #2,347 of 2,773
Yuck. Nice way to ruin this beautifully mid-centric headphone. A midrange party with just the right amount of bass and treble.

EQ is drugs. For people who cannot handle reality :D

Haha. That's a nice way to put it.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #2,348 of 2,773
Quote:

EQ is drugs. For people who cannot handle reality
biggrin.gif

It's a bit too mid centric sometimes :/ Things can sound veiled and muffled, especially older daft punk songs ( matters to me a lot because I'm a huge daft punk fan)

The bass though, phew, it's absolutely brilliant. I prefer the bass on these to the bass on the pro700mk2s ( bass monsters, but not nearly as punchy as the bass on these).

I love mine though, they look insanely good. Like I would wear these outside and that's rare for me with over-ear headphones.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #2,349 of 2,773

It's a bit too mid centric sometimes :/ Things can sound veiled and muffled, especially older daft punk songs ( matters to me a lot because I'm a huge daft punk fan)

The bass though, phew, it's absolutely brilliant with the perfect quantity and punch. I prefer the bass of these to the bass on the pro700mk2s ( bass monsters, but not nearly as punchy as the bass on these).

I love mine though, they look insanely good. Like I would wear these outside and that's rare for me with over-ear headphones.

I found the bass to bleed in to the lower-mids. And yes veiled...it reminds me of the Sennheiser veil.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #2,352 of 2,773

That's very narrow minded for someone who listens to music. I toggle between flat and my custom EQ depending on the genre. Much easier than headphone "rolling" just because a certain song is better with your other can.

Flat, this can is perfect for acoustic, classical, and pop. I listen to heaps of rock and metal so getting rid of that "veil" is essential. I don't need to conform to other people's opinion to enjoy my music. We have different preferences in the first place...

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #2,353 of 2,773
Just received my silver pair in the mail today. These headphones are gorgeous in person and the comfort has definitely not been exaggerated. I wear my glasses with these headphones on and I can barely tell that these are even on my head. I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet but hopefully it will not be disappointing. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #2,354 of 2,773
Maybe the song was badly mixed? Haven't really experienced that tbh.

The same songs sound fine with an AKG K701 and V-MODA M-100.

Bass bleed does occur at times but it is dependant on the quality of the mix/master. I don't hear any bleeding on Tool's Lateralus album but it's prevalent on Metallica's Death Magnetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back