Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Apr 26, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #2,356 of 2,771

roguegeek

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 28, 2012
Posts
1,918
Likes
103
The absolute last thing I have heard with these is anything at all resembling the Senn veil.
 
Apr 26, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #2,357 of 2,771

miceblue

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 23, 2011
Posts
16,380
Likes
2,726
Quote:
The absolute last thing I have heard with these is anything at all resembling the Senn veil.

In a noisy Sony Store with my own gear (iPhone 4S -> FiiO L3 -> JDS Labs C5) at a moderate volume level, the highs were pretty non-fatiguing but laid back like the UE6000, the bass was pretty boomy, and the mids were in-my-face but not completely clear and airy like I hear through the SRH940 or K 701. From my understanding and personal experience with the HD650 being run from tube amps, the term "veil" for the mids is similar to what I heard with the 1R. Were I to buy the MDR-1R, I would be using them in a similar noisy environment. In the same environment with the same songs, the V-MODA M-100 had better tonality and clarity to my ears compared to the 1R, but the mids were evidently laid-back in comparison.
 

 
Apr 26, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #2,358 of 2,771

john53

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 16, 2009
Posts
1,039
Likes
14
In my opinion Sony MDR 1R are veiled.They have warm upper/mid bass with slightly colored midrange and non emphasized high frequencies,so they give the impression that there is a veil over the music which make it sound sweet and lush.Also,although the midrange is a bit emphasized in general and not so flat/natural sounding,the headphones still sound a bit laidback in their presentation.
So I completely agree with people who talk about veil here.
 
In the other hand,sennheiser hd600/650 (ok at least hd 600 which I own) does not have any veil when properly driven.But,sony MDR 1R,at least to my ears,are somewhat "nicely" veiled.Not a bad thing though,it has it's own sound signature which is a bit attractive at least at low to moderate volumes (nice imaging helps here too).I completely agree with Tyll's comments from innerfidelity that they don't sound that nice at higher volumes.This,combined with some other problems like wind issue,jack rattle and only decent isolation,does not make it a good portable headphone for me,it's better for home use or use at quiet environments.
 
Sometime I will try the mod that Andrew Wot suggested some posts ago,to see the results,thanks Andrew for the instructions :wink:
 
Apr 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #2,359 of 2,771

Amarphael

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Posts
1,241
Likes
44
I don't know about veiled but i agree it's fair to conclude the upper mid/lower treble response has a noticeable roll off and the overall voicing leans towards full and "chesty" as a_recording put it but I'd never describe them as dull or anything like that.
 
Also found the wind noise issue is very managable with these, I put them on on a couple of bike rides to work and with music playing at a very mildly loud level (so as to not drown out any honks and such) it was barely noticeably honestly. It was far from keeping me preoccupied with the music.
 
Btw, If anyone is interested in some Dynamat i have about 50cmX20cm (20"X9") piece lying around. I'm not sure what size would sufficient for this mod though.
 
Apr 26, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #2,360 of 2,771

acti0n

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 17, 2012
Posts
141
Likes
10
Quote:
The only complaint I have is the creaking ear cup..its driving me mad.

Same here -- four units, all with creaking ear cups. The irony of it all is that Sony brags about how quiet they are:
 
 

[size=1.2em !important] Clear sound, quiet headphones[/size]

There’s nothing to distract you from your tunes with these headphones. With its specially designed headband and earcup joints, soft silicon rings make sure your headphones work in silence – so you can focus on the sound.

The noisiest headphone I've ever encountered just so happens to be the only one specifically marketed as being quiet.
 
Apr 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #2,361 of 2,771

Sladeophile

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 18, 2006
Posts
1,534
Likes
41
Quote:
I don't know about veiled but i agree it's fair to conclude the upper mid/lower treble response has a noticeable roll off and the overall voicing leans towards full and "chesty" as a_recording put it but I'd never describe them as dull or anything like that.
 
Also found the wind noise issue is very managable with these, I put them on on a couple of bike rides to work and with music playing at a very mildly loud level (so as to not drown out any honks and such) it was barely noticeably honestly. It was far from keeping me preoccupied with the music.
 
Btw, If anyone is interested in some Dynamat i have about 50cmX20cm (20"X9") piece lying around. I'm not sure what size would sufficient for this mod though.

 
I'll take your Dynamat.  YGPM.
 
Apr 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #2,362 of 2,771

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
Joined
Jun 29, 2001
Posts
8,642
Likes
2,540
Quote:
I found the bass to bleed in to the lower-mids. And yes veiled...it reminds me of the Sennheiser veil.

 
Quote:
In my opinion Sony MDR 1R are veiled.They have warm upper/mid bass with slightly colored midrange and non emphasized high frequencies,so they give the impression that there is a veil over the music which make it sound sweet and lush.Also,although the midrange is a bit emphasized in general and not so flat/natural sounding,the headphones still sound a bit laidback in their presentation.
So I completely agree with people who talk about veil here.
 
In the other hand,sennheiser hd600/650 (ok at least hd 600 which I own) does not have any veil when properly driven.But,sony MDR 1R,at least to my ears,are somewhat "nicely" veiled.Not a bad thing though,it has it's own sound signature which is a bit attractive at least at low to moderate volumes (nice imaging helps here too).I completely agree with Tyll's comments from innerfidelity that they don't sound that nice at higher volumes.This,combined with some other problems like wind issue,jack rattle and only decent isolation,does not make it a good portable headphone for me,it's better for home use or use at quiet environments.
 
Sometime I will try the mod that Andrew Wot suggested some posts ago,to see the results,thanks Andrew for the instructions :wink:

 
 
Quote:
I found the bass to bleed in to the lower-mids. And yes veiled...it reminds me of the Sennheiser veil.

 
Quote:
The absolute last thing I have heard with these is anything at all resembling the Senn veil.

 
Yes, I think a lot of people really need to reacquaint themselves with the sounds of real instruments and voices. The sounds coming from my 1R are dependent on what is on the recording.
 
Apr 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #2,363 of 2,771

Trunks159

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Posts
3,339
Likes
169
People say 'sennheiser veil' like its a really bad thing. Anyway, I don't think these have even a hint of any kind of veil, they're just statistically inferior to some other cans in the details department. The overall balance of bass mids and highs is what makes em rock.
 
Apr 26, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #2,364 of 2,771

M-13

Bad Trader.
Aka: One Punch Man
Joined
Oct 22, 2011
Posts
3,505
Likes
248
Sennheiser veil just means a small recess in the upper-mids. Nothing unpleasant about it for most people who aren't into treble. It gives the 1R mids (voices) more weight and makes them throaty. I think the HD650s are one of the most beloved headphones of all time and share the same characteristic. Now my 7520s do not have this problem. The upper-mids are more netural, giving voices a nice shiny sparkle, but not as extreme as the Z1000 or audio technica woodies. I think the term "veil" is a hyperbole and gives people the wrong impression because they think it's related to tranparency/resolution of the phone. The 1R has enough resolution for a $299 phone, not more than a $299 phone, but just enough which is more than I can say for a lot of headphones, including the Momentum.
 
Apr 26, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #2,367 of 2,771

roguegeek

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 28, 2012
Posts
1,918
Likes
103
Apr 26, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #2,369 of 2,771

d marc0

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 19, 2012
Posts
2,443
Likes
2,296
You guys have a solution for the creaking earpads? Oil? Vase line? Lol


Minimise head and jaw movements... For me at least. My pair rarely creaks tho.
 
Apr 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #2,370 of 2,771

miceblue

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 23, 2011
Posts
16,380
Likes
2,726
You guys have a solution for the creaking earpads? Oil? Vase line? Lol


Minimise head and jaw movements... For me at least. My pair rarely creaks tho.


Or just don't use it and get a new headphone. >: D

Had anyone's unit broke yet? This sounds all too familiar with the SRH940.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top