Sony flexible OLED Walkman
Jan 15, 2009 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

abitdeef

Formerly known as ihatepopupads
Headphoneus Supremus
Kind of cool, but kind of weird. I'm not sure I wouldn't beat the hell out of this while on my wrist. Excuse me, for some reason I have the urge to watch Blade Runner. The future is here, and it's flexible- good album by the way.

Sony’s Flex OLED Walkman concept shows up on video - SlashGear

Hello.. I just realized something, where is the flipping headphone jack? Or maybe we don't need one in the near future :0

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 16
This is merely a concept CGI (the one shown in CES booth is none-working) so I doubt we will see anything remotely like this in the near future.

There are ways for it to work without headphone jack - using either A2DP or Kleer wireless. Hopefully by the time this is released, both technologies have matured enough to gain mainstream adoption.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is merely a concept CGI (the one shown in CES booth is none-working) so I doubt we will see anything remotely like this in the near future.

There are ways for it to work without headphone jack - using either A2DP or Kleer wireless. Hopefully by the time this is released, both technologies have matured enough to gain mainstream adoption.

True, totally forgot about the wireless route
redface.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 16
By the time it came out, it will be for Japan only for 2 years before it is released outside Japan. Oh, and the ones released outside Japan will be B&W only (no color screen), and only available in black and silver bracelet. By the time Japanese consumers sick of the product, Sony will dump them in the US and sell them at premium price while Japan gets the next gen.
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 16
This is so cool! I want one!

Really with all the miniaturization in a near future I expect that everyone would carry his computer in this way, with virtual screens and interface,music player and phone integrated.

Reminds me of David Brin book "Earth". Story is happening in around 2040, not far from now!

Only hope there will be enough bass coming out of these...

regards,

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 16
I'm sick of us taking one step forward and two steps back.

MP3 and other lossy formats are an inferior formats for music. So a few years ago we saw a lot of PMP's with larger and larger hard drives so now Lossless audio was more practical. Yeah us audiphiles get a victory inthe portable sector!!

Now with flash drives taking over the storage space is getting smaller forcing more users to go back to lossy compression.

It's like going back to 8 track after SACD's were released as far as sound quality is concerned.

I hope one day lossy compression is finally put out to pasture. An entire generation of kids have been robbed of good quality audio because of it.

Jan 17, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sick of us taking one step forward and two steps back.

MP3 and other lossy formats are an inferior formats for music. So a few years ago we saw a lot of PMP's with larger and larger hard drives so now Lossless audio was more practical. Yeah us audiphiles get a victory inthe portable sector!!

Now with flash drives taking over the storage space is getting smaller forcing more users to go back to lossy compression.

It's like going back to 8 track after SACD's were released as far as sound quality is concerned.

I hope one day lossy compression is finally put out to pasture. An entire generation of kids have been robbed of good quality audio because of it.

All we need is a serious math whiz to figure out how to make a lossless compression that's roughly the size of a 320kbps mp3.

Jan 17, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #8 of 16
No, we need a bunch of companies to market and promote the MP3 format so everybody will forget about higher quality... oh wait.

I know I won't be paying a premium for portability/coolness and expect good sound coming from it.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 16
I should just start a freaking company to get this crap sorted out and over with by making the best sounding players... ever. With plenty of memory (dual flash?) and the option to expand it further (SDHC?).

Jan 17, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by torres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am always wondering why we need mp3 players to be so cool, or beautiful..or a 3.5inches screen, etc.. when I am listening to music, 90% of the time I put my PMP into my pocket..

That could be said of original walkmans, or even first gen iPods with plain black LEDs and tactile controls.

Jan 17, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by torres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am always wondering why we need mp3 players to be so cool, or beautiful..or a 3.5inches screen, etc.. when I am listening to music, 90% of the time I put my PMP into my pocket..

Because the market demands it. It is that simple really.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, we need a bunch of companies to market and promote the MP3 format so everybody will forget about higher quality... oh wait.

I know I won't be paying a premium for portability/coolness and expect good sound coming from it.

Why not? The probelm is as technology has advanced the sound quality has decreased which is completely stupid.

There is no reason we can't have smaller more portable devices that are high capacity so we can load all the lossless music we want on it but still adhere to high audio quality standards.

Lossy compression is a relic of the 1990's where we were all on dial up and had small hard drive. Nowadays portable devices can have multiple more time more storage than the best pc's in the mid to late 1990's.

I just can't believe it is 2009 and people are still using MP3's.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #14 of 16
I have an idea. Let's get the entire Head-Fi collective to put our heads together and develop the smallest lossless compression possible. We'll call it HFLC (Head-Fi Lossless Codec).

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an idea. Let's get the entire Head-Fi collective to put our heads together and develop the smallest lossless compression possible. We'll call it HFLC (Head-Fi Lossless Codec).

If only, but even that should become irrelevant soon. Once we can get to 1TB flash drives we really wouldn't need better lossless compression. Even now it SHOULD be irrelevant but it seems DAP makers are removing there large capacity hard drive models in favor of smaller flash models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back