sony ex90 odd design and sound leakage
May 15, 2006 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

shirleywhite

100+ Head-Fier
Had ex90's for about a week. Just beginning to realise quite an odd design(IMHO). I'd seen reviews saying hybrid of IEM and earbud - but hadnt realised that was literally true. There's a 45 degree angled tube with silicone tip coming out of a flat/normal bud. The silicone tip seals in the inner ear like a normal IEM. But the bud part also has cutouts ( for sound to come through) That's what I find slightly odd. If the "tube" has formed a seal - not sure how much point the bud sound is?? It also means that if you use a slightly large tip and kinda seal further out (if you see what I mean) then the bud will be "loose" fitting and sound will leak. THis is what happened to me. I thought the sound just came out of the tube part - but even at low volume my family were complaining "turn it down"!! So although fine outdoors/gym etc - in a quiet room the sound leakage can be a slight problem. Wonder if any point in "taping over" the bud part? Or would that somehow affect the sound? As I say - I think the design is a little odd. Been used to IEM's with just the "tube" bit sitting in the inner ear forming a good seal and that's it!! Very good isolation - but little/no leakage.

Overall I'm pleased with the ex90's - they sound great (leakage apart) and seem to be very well built. But would be interested re any views on the design.Thanks.

May 15, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 13
Just got mine a couple days ago... burning them in for the past ~20 hours. Not sure if burn-in really makes much difference with these, but still you should consider my oppinions as first impressions.

Doesn't isolate well enough for me to consider it an IEM. Although it does block some ambient noise. IMHO these clearly are more consumer canal-phone than pro-audio IEM.

Sonically they sound very good. Much less in my head sounding than either my e2c or modded koss plugs. Theres some decent image and soundstaging going on. More along the lines of my MS1 in that regard (but I need to spend some more time with them and A/B compare in further depth)

Spectrally they are Balanced. Good bass extension. Decent bass impact. Very good treble extension too. Mids, while more tame then the treble, are not overwhelmed by it (HUGE improvement over the EX-51/71). The treble is bright and sparkly, but not sibilant or piercing in any way.

Kind of reminds me of my MS2, but with slightly less-forward mids. Has that same MS2-like smoothness to the sound.

These are quick and snappy sounding phones. Quick to respond to transients and peaks. Detail frieks will love them. Makes my MS1 seem a little sluggish by compatison (again... need to do more in-depth A/B). CLEARLY they are superior to the e2c and KSC75 in terms of detail resolution, dynamics and transient response. Although both the shure and Koss pack more bass thump.

NEED good SOURCE (!!!) They do reveal a lot of sonic information. I can very clearly hear differences between all my PCDPs and MP3 players. My panasonic PCDPs sound Mushy and sluggish. My magnavox PCDPs really JUMP to life with bass slam and treble sparkle.

NEED decent amplification too. Straight out of my MP3 player they are very grainy and theres an EX51-like sharpness to the treble. Amping with my govibe (OPA2132) smooths things out a LOT. Note that the OPA2132 is a smooth, balanced sounding OP amp. I would never use these unamped out of my MP3 player.

Thats all for now...

I have a D335 coming from Filburt. That should make for very intersting synnergy... to be cont'd...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by altopryde656
hyou said the treble on the 90s can be a bit harsh unamped...how does the 91's treble compare to the 51/71 unamped?

I think at least some of the treble harshness and edginess I heard on those first impressions is the result of under amping and powering it with my creative Muvo. Not the best headphone output.

The EX90 is HEAD and SHOULDERS better than the EX51/71... night and day difference. The EX90 could easily be called, smooth, balanced hifi, even by head-fi standards. The EX51 is merely a bunch of flabby bass non-existent mids and PIERCING Shrill highs.

EX90 treble while bright airy and articulate is no way shrill or piercing.
No contest.

See my real impressions here

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=181293

May 25, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
NEED good SOURCE (!!!) They do reveal a lot of sonic information. I can very clearly hear differences between all my PCDPs and MP3 players. My panasonic PCDPs sound Mushy and sluggish. My magnavox PCDPs really JUMP to life with bass slam and treble sparkle.

NEED decent amplification too. Straight out of my MP3 player they are very grainy and theres an EX51-like sharpness to the treble. Amping with my govibe (OPA2132) smooths things out a LOT. Note that the OPA2132 is a smooth, balanced sounding OP amp. I would never use these unamped out of my MP3 player.

That's interesting. I've ONLY used mine so far unamped out of my MP3 player (Sony HD5). I mostly use them to go to the gym, which they're just the ticket for. Soundwise, they're quite decent though I'd wish for more weight, palpability and midrange if I could have my way. I wonder how much of this I'd get by going amped or with a better source?

Darn, I have a $20K Cary Audio Home Theater audio system but not a headphone jack to be found. I guess it doesn't matter though - these are for portable use.

May 25, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadKase
That's interesting. I've ONLY used mine so far unamped out of my MP3 player (Sony HD5). I mostly use them to go to the gym, which they're just the ticket for. Soundwise, they're quite decent though I'd wish for more weight, palpability and midrange if I could have my way. I wonder how much of this I'd get by going amped or with a better source?

Darn, I have a $20K Cary Audio Home Theater audio system but not a headphone jack to be found. I guess it doesn't matter though - these are for portable use.

The phone out on creative MuVo players is a little muddy and conjested. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if your HD5 has a better phone-out than my MP3 player.

Garrett

May 26, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 13
FWIW, they are very enjoyable with my sansa e260.

To my ear they sound cool and smooth and very natural. Honest, if you will. But not so much as to be clinical or harsh. I've seen others describe them as being "balanced" sounding and I'd say that's a good word for what I'm hearing.

Once your ears get used to them, they are comfortable enough that I forget I'm wearing them. Your ears may vary
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, it's a well rounded package for 99 bucks.

May 26, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
Hey Kramer, what's the build quality like on them?

top notch... no sloppy glue, crooked parts, cosmetic blemishes, extra plastic mold flash or jagged edges.

Far better than Grado (which isn't saying much).
On par with my HD580 and K240s

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back